What is the probability of Indy V being made?

Will Indy V be made?

• Yes

Votes: 59 75.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 24.4%

• Total voters

sandiegojones

This is Lucas and Spielberg you're talking about. Money can be made, so yes I think there's like a 90% chance it will be made. We already know Lucas is working on a story so as long as the film can be made for a 2011 release it'll happen.

I'm more curious to know if it'll be a prequel like TOD or if Marion & Mutt will return. Personally I want a film to be in 1956 so Marion isn't back (I think a wife domesticates Indy too much. It's okay to show a wedding at the end of KOTCS, but I don't want to see the married life.

Texas

I think it is very likely that Indy 5 gets made. George and Harrison want to do it, and I think Steven's enjoyment of working with George and Harrison again has warmed him up to the idea of at least one more Indy film.

I also think that the mixed public reaction to Crystal Skull will motivate the big three to end the Indy series with a bang instead of with a divisive movie like KotCS.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I think this could go either way really. Why they would? Money and the mixed reaction from KOTCS and for the fun of it. Why they wouldn't? Time, the mixed reaction from KOTCS and scheduling. I don't think they will make another, mostly because I don't think they will be able to find a good enough MacGuffin. Then there's the problem of setting the story as a prequel or another sequel. Remember that George and Steven are thinking about this differently. One wants to go on into the future, another wants to go to the past. Also depending on the setting, what era of B-movie do you base it on? Sci Fi's been done, so do you do a monster movie like "Creature from the Black Lagoon"? Something of the horror B-movie genre? If it were me, the horror would be the better way to go. A monster movie would be too much like "Mummy".

caats

sandiegojones said:
I'm more curious to know if it'll be a prequel like TOD or if Marion & Mutt will return. Personally I want a film to be in 1956 so Marion isn't back (I think a wife domesticates Indy too much. It's okay to show a wedding at the end of KOTCS, but I don't want to see the married life.

i think if anything we'd only see a glimpse of that. A couple minutes as Indy and Mutt get ready to go off on whatever adventure they have (Mutt's friend/wants to be GF is kidnapped by Commies wanting Indy's help to get a macguffin, adventure commences! once they get girl(natalie portman imo) about halfway through, they race to beat the commies to wherever they're going to use the macguffin!!!) not really. i just made that up now. anyway, i don't a prequel.

The Golden Idol

Well, I definitely don't want Indy's family weighing him down on his adventure in Indy V. Prequel, perhaps? Or would that chronological order (2,1,3,5,4) be too confusing?

vf wing

I don't expect a prequel. Marion and Mutt will likely have brief bits, but I suspect they won't take part in the main adventure. Something akin to Marcus' role in Raiders, maybe.

Agent Z

I would be surprised if there is another one.

I don't think, ultimately, that the Beards would dare go the route of making it a Shia vehicle, launching off a new series for Mutt.

Time is of the essence though, and we all saw how long it took for the last one to get everyone on the same page (enough) to film it.

EddyW

I do think that part of why it took so long was the fact that Lucas had to get his alien fix and now that is out of the way maybe it all doens't have to take as long as Skull.

vf wing

George's recent pronouncements indicate he's more focused this time on coming up with a McGuffin that Steven likes. It's almost like a give & take... Steven wasn't really behind the alien idea, so George feels he has to make it up to him this time.

I haven't written Mutt Williams off, but GL has also indicated recently how the idea that Harrison is what really makes these movies work has been driven home. I could see Mutt returning years down the road in his own adventure(s), but I don't really expect him to dominate the next Indy outing. The fan outcry against him has been overwhelming and I expect more of an attempt to tone him down.

caats

i think George will listen to Steven. George doesn't have nearly the control he has over Star Wars over Indy.

I don't sincerely know what to think. I don't really see a lot of possibilities for a fifth film to be actually made... Harrison is getting too old, we must face it.
Sadly, the right occasion for an explosive return of the Man With The Hat was the last one... but they preferred to miss the shot by far with "Kingdom"...

And, as my personal note... I don't know if I would like to see an "Indiana Jones 5". Number four was so disappointing that I really don't know what to expect. I feel like I don't trust Lucas' and Spielberg's ideas any more.

A part of me would really like to see a prequel which could try to correct all the mistakes made in "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" and worthily take its place as the fourth and conclusive chapter of the best adventure movie saga ever, but... on the other hand, I perfectly know that if the fifth film was ever made, it would be a damned sequel with Marion, Mutt, Indy as a family man (!!) and all the freaking rest. It would almost certainly be a mess... perhaps even worse than "Kingdom"... I don't know... I don't really know... :(

Crack that whip

caats said:
i think George will listen to Steven. George doesn't have nearly the control he has over Star Wars over Indy.

Oh, he has total control over the character and all; he just doesn't have control over Steven or Harrison, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want to do an Indy feature film without them. He does own the character, though (or rather, Lucasfilm Ltd. does, which is probably practically the same thing).

Lance Quazar

I put the odds of Indy V at 20%.

Steven seemed entirely disinterested in IV, felt like he was going through the motions.

I think Ford and Lucas are far more game.

Here's another question - would they ever make an Indy film without Spielberg as director?

caats

Lance Quazar said:
I put the odds of Indy V at 20%.

Steven seemed entirely disinterested in IV, felt like he was going through the motions.

I think Ford and Lucas are far more game.

Here's another question - would they ever make an Indy film without Spielberg as director?

no. but i've heard Spielberg had a lot of fun on IV which makes him more interested in V. I wish they'd just tell us so we don't have to wonder about it. obviously if there's no announcements by May of 09, then i won't think it'll happen.

Last edited:
H

Henry-Defance

Spielberg wasn't involved in the chronicles and they just weren't the same. Even with all the faults of KOTCS it still had that Spielberg quality that makes the franchise.