Indy 5 visual wish list

Indy's brother

Moedred said:
And don't forget this one...

In City of the Gods Indy made a biplane to biplane transfer and back, and a horse to truck transfer in the river through the windshield. I hope they reuse the biplane sequence, and add a snowmobile to aerosled transfer.

Ah, that's right, I knew I'd forget one! Wouldn't surprise me at all if I had forgoten another one or two. And Montana, a well executed Indy 5 that culminates with the appearance of nazi zombies would most likely make my brain implode.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
And Montana, a well executed Indy 5 that culminates with the appearance of nazi zombies would most likely make my brain implode.

Especially if they were runners like SS-Standartenführer Herzog's Einsatz mob. That would put Indy's dodgy hip to the test!

Mickiana

I think a crazy, dangerous bridge makes for a great scene, especially the jungly looking ones. Some of those shown could be emulated. I doubt the actual ones could be used for safety reasons.

Oh yeah, and scrap that washed out look. The changed look I much prefer.

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
I think a crazy, dangerous bridge makes for a great scene, especially the jungly looking ones. Some of those shown could be emulated. I doubt the actual ones could be used for safety reasons.

I wonder whether, as Indy grows older, he might finding passing water more difficult. Thereby making bridges key moments for suspense. :p

Last edited:

Mickiana

Yes, there will many bridges he has passed water under! The adult diapers should be quite unnoticeable under the baggy Indy pants.

Matt deMille

It'd be interesting (though somewhat contrived) to have a long, narrow bridge over a pit of snakes. Indy couldn't break this bridge, clearly. So, what could he do when cornered out on it?

If Lucas continues with the alien angle, it would be interesting to see Indy encounter some of the Men In Black (the real ones are more like Agent Smith and less like Tommy Lee Jones).

And no matter what, Indy needs to use his whip a lot. He hardly used it at all in Crusade or Kingdom. Indy 5 needs more Raiders and Temple quota use of the whip, be it for swinging, strangling or anything else.

Mickiana

God forbid Lucas continues with an alien angle. And that's coming from an atheist! But, yes, more whip, definitely.

Mickiana said:
God forbid Lucas continues with an alien angle. And that's coming from an atheist! But, yes, more whip, definitely.
If we get another film, it's not going to be more aliens (or IDBs). So far we got Jewish, Hindi, Christian and lastly the atheist's deity. Here's hoping Indy explores the Muslim world...it would be timely.

Maybe it will expand our understanding of something that actually exists...

Matt deMille

Mickiana said:

Actually, I agree (and that's coming from someone who has seen UFOs for real).

I'd prefer aliens not be involved in Indy V. However, in order to prevent KOTCS from being too oddball-out and avoid relying too much on what came before, I'd prefer Indy V be based on something paranormal, but different from all four previous films. Something vague. Atlantis, the Bermuda Triangle, things like that. Because they're so ambiguous, they can be either divine, alien, or whatever you want them to be. It might even make a nice "closure" for Indy, in a way: He encounters something that proves there is no way to know everything, that the universe is too mysterious a place. That could be a good "ending" for him, for the academic can't keep going physically, but could accept the futility of study like the futility of seeking immortality. Sort of like how Rocky's greatest victories are in Rocky 1 and 6 -- the only times he doesn't win.

DeepSixFix

Mickiana said:
What's the connection between aliens and atheism? Just asking...:confused:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Come on fellas, <I>visuals</I>, like this:

north+by+northwest+mercedes.jpeg

I increasingly think the Hitchcock notes of the City of the Gods script were good ones, and worth pursuing in some part.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
What am I missing?

I'm thinking the whole bit with the crystal skull being found in a bowling ball bag and the mysterious hotel room. Perhaps some of the museum material as well, with the assassin. Only stateside stuff.

Mickiana

Re DeepSixFix the atheism bit refers to how I am ironically asking god to forbid it - "God forbid Lucas continues with..." - I don't believe in an all-powerful, all-knowing, creator god, but I'm desperate enough to ask the services of such a non existent entity.

Raiders90

Matt deMille said:
It'd be interesting (though somewhat contrived) to have a long, narrow bridge over a pit of snakes. Indy couldn't break this bridge, clearly. So, what could he do when cornered out on it?

If Lucas continues with the alien angle, it would be interesting to see Indy encounter some of the Men In Black (the real ones are more like Agent Smith and less like Tommy Lee Jones).

And no matter what, Indy needs to use his whip a lot. He hardly used it at all in Crusade or Kingdom. Indy 5 needs more Raiders and Temple quota use of the whip, be it for swinging, strangling or anything else.

I know he ''whipped'' the whip to choke the Thuggee guard, but I'd kind of like to see Indy get ruthless and use it as a garrote.

DeepSixFix

Moedred said:
If Indy 5 comes after KotCS, it should probably involve some unfinished business.
I'd like to see an intro where he recovers the golden Chachapoyan idol that he lost to Belloq. It would be a nice tie in with ROTLA, and plausible since in LC Jones was shown having the persistence to recover the Cross of Coronado decades after he lost it.

Indy's brother

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but I'm gonna go with the "wish list" portion of the thread title on this.

How about a score that isn't self-referential to the series (aside from the Raiders March)? Bring back the majesty of the Map Room and the Original Warehouse tone by presenting an (almost) original score, and a return to form with a serious and sincere score? The musical nods have increased with every installment. And every installment has strayed further from the source material. By that I mean straying from ROTLA, not the many films that inspired the series. Can you imagine the impact that Indy 5 would have if it was meant to be taken seriously? Sure there were comic moments and slapstick in ROTLA, there's no denying that. But those moments were meant as comic relief, not par for the course. I digress.

On the much debated topic of just how "gritty" ROTLA is, didn't Karen Allen say that until she saw the final cut, she thought it was going to be like Casa Blanca?

My visual wish list is for the actors to have a decent script to eat before they get in front of the cameras. It would give them less motivation to chew the scenery....while we enjoy some inventive dinner music!