Indy Without New Music from John Williams

IndyAJA77

As we contemplate a fifth or even sixth Indy, I am made aware that John Williams is the oldest of the collaborating bunch. While he is showing no signs of slowing down, what if he retired or died before another Indy could be made? Would it be OK to have someone else step in, use the Raiders March and any other relevant motifs (based on the content of the script), but otherwise have to create their own compositions in a Williamsian style? There have been other franchises where he did a movie or two then someone else stepped in (Harry Potter, Jaws, Home Alone to name a few). A) Would it work? B) Would you want it?

Also, I just realized that Michael Kahn is only a few years younger. So, same question regarding him. Not everyone was happy with Janusz Kaminski taking over for Douglas Slocombe and in that case Slocombe is retired and Kaminski has been Spielberg's DP for sometime.

Spielberg's longtime collaborators will most likely retire or die before he stops directing. This may not be a major issue for him overall, but in the case of Indy, where the fans have certain expectations, would it work?

so wah mu

Would I.T work?

IndyAJA77 said:
As we contemplate a fifth or even sixth Indy, I am made aware that John Williams is the oldest of the collaborating bunch. While he is showing no signs of slowing down, what if he retired or died before another Indy could be made? Would it be OK to have someone else step in, use the Raiders March and any other relevant motifs (based on the content of the script), but otherwise have to create their own compositions in a Williamsian style? There have been other franchises where he did a movie or two then someone else stepped in (Harry Potter, Jaws, Home Alone to name a few). A) Would it work? B) Would you want it?

Also, I just realized that Michael Kahn is only a few years younger. So, same question regarding him. Not everyone was happy with Janusz Kaminski taking over for Douglas Slocombe and in that case Slocombe is retired and Kaminski has been Spielberg's DP for sometime.

Spielberg's longtime collaborators will most likely retire or die before he stops directing. This may not be a major issue for him overall, but in the case of Indy, where the fans have certain expectations, would it work?

-I should think after 'Harry Potter' I'd want to go 'Home Alone' too. What a load of guff!

I think the more pertinent point is whether anyone will have any such employment in the film industry in the foreseeable future! I wonder why Lucas chose the animation route for 'The Clone Wars' -aside from all the spin offs and merchandise. Cheaper to pay a house of animators than a bumper pay check to the financial whim of an egotistical attention seeker who demands high maintenance and livery to boot. Especially if you employ them too!

I'm casting quite a cynical outlook, and i hope that there will remain a strong need for actors, score writers, orchestration etc. (and i'm not abandoning hope for other film makers/collaborators either) in the industry, but with animation, graphics and audio knocking out such mind blowing effects these days, makes you wonder if there will be any need for actors, voice overs or anyone in the studio at all.

No one really likes to be sitting on the bench -as Mickey Rourke put it. And it's not just the actors either, modern technology at it's optimum peek delivers a package that would have otherwise taken a thousand employees to do said tasks. and some...

Look at orchestration, and a modern sounds card for an I-Mac, the sounds are replicated to such a high standard it would need another computer to determine if it was genuine live orchestration or synthetically reproduced.

But when you consider films like 'SIMone' (with Al Pacino) it's not such a stretch of the imagination to see where that path is headed.

There was an age when even 'talkies' were unimaginable, and as for glorious technicolour, well that was once the dreams of the Emmett L. Browns.

Everything has a price to pay. Productivity and efficiency and bank rolls come at a cost, on a planet that is obviously over populated, and not enough to go round. The academics taught us about competition from the cradle, and it's usually those academics who are sitting pretty without a care in the world. Whilst the rest of us just wished we could afford a tin whistle -let alone a Stradivari violin..

There are many scores to be settled I guess. These are hard times, after all!

...but yeah Mr.J.W get on board. We accept no immitations!

Morning Bell

John Williams is part of what makes Indy so great; those scores give the films a sense of urgency and excitement that are integral to the series. Granted, I'm sure another composer could do a respectable job but it just wouldn't be the same.

Stoo

Just get any one of the various composers for Young Indy (Laurence Rosenthal, Joel McNeely, Curt Sobel, Steve Bramson or Frederic Talgorn) and most people wouldn't even notice the difference. (Ex. The LEGO video game). As wonderful as Williams' scores are, I find that, post-"Crusade", his participation is no longer an ESSENTIAL ingredient to Indy on film. Believe me, I've been a JW fan since the days of "Land of the Giants" and "Jaws" but after hearing the Young Indy soundtracks, I'm just being realistic.

A few months ago, I had the pleasure of this:
Experiencing John Williams Music in Concert

Not being familiar with the tracks from "Emperor's Tomb" or "Infernal Machine"...maybe whoever wrote the music for those might also be a contender?:confused: