Who should return? Anyone?

FedoraHead

Who would you like to see return to the next movie? Maybe its crazy but I like to see Short Round return even if its a small part (but if it works within the story, dont get put him in to put him in). Or maybe if some of the past people cant return he talk about them. Kind of see what happened to the Willie, or Short Round, or others. I know Lucas would never let Jones die in the movie but what about sallah?

Toht's Arm

I'm generally OK with anyone returning as long as it doesn't feel like they've been shoehorned in. It bugs me when people keep suggesting that Sallah or Short Round should have been at the wedding in Indy IV. I'm sure that very few people would have made their way halfway around the world simply for a wedding back in the 50s - unless they were rich. Surely long distance travel was too cost-prohibitive.

The cgi gophers and monkeys - they should be the stars of Indy 5.

The fridge should have a cameo too, but only if it doesn't distract from the gopher and monkey action.

Raiders90

It's a shame you guys are letting KOTCS sour your opinions on the series. So much negativity toward even the possibility of a fifth film.

Mickiana

I am negative about a fifth film in that it may not happen - I would really like another IJ flick - and I am also negative about a fifth film in that it might be as bad as CS if it does happen. There is a little room left over for some positivity that a fifth may happen and it might be good.

Indy's brother

Honestly, at this point I think it would feel more like Indy if he himself was the only recurring character in another movie. Mention or allude to other characters, but that's it. KOTCS proved (to me, anyway) that even bringing back even Indy's original bigscreen sidekick (shut up Satipo/Sapito) didn't make it any better of a film. You could argue with me until you are blue in the face that the return of another character, whoever it may be, would be good if written well enough. But it wouldn't be. Lucas and Spielberg can't help but wink at the audience with that sort of thing. Since ROTLA, Indy's entourage has gotten dumber and hokier with every film. There is no reason to think that the trend would change. Being as such, leave my beloved characters from the cannon out of Indy 5. They're only going to get worse if resurrected. Send Indy off on an adventure and introduce us to non-cannon-connected characters. It's the only hope for this film franchise's redemption. Otherwise there's going to be stupid crap like Indy and Henry Sr. saying "Intolerable" in unison, or watching an adult Jonathan Ke Quan try to be cute, or worse, be villainous and make us hate him.

So to the thread title I say no. Not anyone, thank you.

'cept for Ford as Indy again of course.

Olliana

Yeah, I think IB's right. Every time they brought back characters from the previous movies, whether Marcus, Sallah or Marion, they just dumped them down to figures of fun without any depth. Same would happen to Shorty if he'd ever come back. Because even Shorty had some depth to his character.

But sadly there seems to be no way around making Mutt (one of) Indys next sidekick(s) again.

Hanselation

Indy's brother said:
Honestly, at this point I think it would feel more like Indy if he himself was the only recurring character in another movie. Mention or allude to other characters, but that's it. KOTCS proved (to me, anyway) that even bringing back even Indy's original bigscreen sidekick (shut up Satipo/Sapito) didn't make it any better of a film. You could argue with me until you are blue in the face that the return of another character, whoever it may be, would be good if written well enough. But it wouldn't be. Lucas and Spielberg can't help but wink at the audience with that sort of thing. Since ROTLA, Indy's entourage has gotten dumber and hokier with every film. There is no reason to think that the trend would change. Being as such, leave my beloved characters from the cannon out of Indy 5. They're only going to get worse if resurrected. Send Indy off on an adventure and introduce us to non-cannon-connected characters. It's the only hope for this film franchise's redemption. Otherwise there's going to be stupid crap like Indy and Henry Sr. saying "Intolerable" in unison, or watching an adult Jonathan Ke Quan try to be cute, or worse, be villainous and make us hate him.

So to the thread title I say no. Not anyone, thank you.

'cept for Ford as Indy again of course.

(y)

No family ties and less silly humor like it was shown by Marcus and also Henry Sr. in LC and by Marion in KOTCS.
So NOooooooooo return of characters from the previous movies - besides Indy of course :D

Randy_Flagg

I don't post here often, but I have to agree with what is being said about it being a bad idea to bring back anyone.
In fact, not only should they not bring back anyone, I say they should also venture away from the tired formula that was used in Raiders, Crusade and Skull: Opening adventure -> University -> exposition -> main adventure. It's not a bad formula, but it's too repetitive now.

They could allude to the fact that Indy works at a univerity by having him start the movie on an archeaological dig with some of his students. From there, something happens that gets him whisked away onto the main adventure of the film. By doing this, we don't get the scene of Indy standing in a classroom, nor do we get any hokey scenes of Indy at home with Marion and Mutt trying to be a family man. He could refer to his family at some point in the movie, but I really don't need to see them onscreen, and they definitely should NOT tag along with him.

The fewer references to past films, the better. No arks lying around, and I don't even need to see a snake scene again. We get it, he's afraid of snakes. That doesn't have to be shoehorned into every movie-- it's really not such a fascinating fact about the character.

I also don't need to see him fondly reminiscing about the good ol' days. KOTCS already dealt with the fact that he got older, so no more trips down memory lane.

Realistically, of course, I think its a moot point, since I can't see a 5th movie ever being made. And if it IS made, I definitely can't see GL and SS not including Mutt and Marion again (especially since Harrison himself said tht he hopes the fifth movie further explores the father/son relationship.)

Supernatural

I always thought it would be good to see Sallah, Willie and Short Round again. I'd also like to see Marion back. The Marion from Raiders that could take care of herself and was a spitfire. The one from Crystal Skull didn't feel the same.

But Maybe Indy's Brother is right, maybe it should just be Indy.
Simple and to the point.

You know, the complete opposite of Crystal Skull.

Oxley was just THE WORST.

Johnb02

I totally think Short Round returns as a teenager with a girlfriend. Then they go on the adventure too and Short Round has to save the girlfriend sometimes but Indy is the main character still. Cause face it, Short Round kicked butt as a 12 year old kid. Indy and Willie would be dead without him. :dead:

foreverwingnut

Lego Indy said:
Sallah is the only character that I would bring back.
I think we've all reached some level of acceptance by now that there won't be another Indy film, but we can still make conversation about it and keep the dream alive at the least. I agree with Lego Indy that Sallah would be a great thrill to see again. John Rhys-Davies has become an icon since 1981 with one of the most easily recognizable voices in the world. There would be little doubt that Marion would have at least a cameo in a 5th film, so, with the return of Sallah, it would be like having the old gang back together again.

justin

FedoraHead said:
Who would you like to see return to the next movie? Maybe its crazy but I like to see Short Round return even if its a small part (but if it works within the story, dont get put him in to put him in). Or maybe if some of the past people cant return he talk about them. Kind of see what happened to the Willie, or Short Round, or others. I know Lucas would never let Jones die in the movie but what about sallah?

i think indiana jones should return in the next movie:D