Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters

Le Saboteur

Archaeos said:
I really am not sure that the movie industry does itself some good by pushing into the ever more debilitating mash-up 'Kolportage' genre. What's next?

You had to ask? Well, how about Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters!

The kids of gingerbread house fame are all grown up now and fifteen years after that fateful incident, they wander the countryside/world/whatever hunting and killing witches!

HANSEL-GRETEL_810.jpg

The $60-million production opens on the 25th of January in North America with Jeremy Renner as Hansel and Gemma Arterton as Gretel. Famke Jansen steps in as the villain! That's two Bond girls and the newest Bourne in one movie!

Red band trailer

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mAzqMhVHh0c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's probably a little early to speculate, but the sequel could be wonderfully meta! Just imagine if the Brothers Grimm came into town along with Jackman's Van Helsing!

Regular trailer

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p6wk1XySBTk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wonder if there'll be room for Edgar Allen Poe in future incarnations?!

2012-10-29-hansel_gretel_poster.jpg

And that's post number 1,000.

kongisking

Congrats on the post number.

But as for this film...it sort of looks like it's trying too hard to be badass with such a silly premise. But I dunno, I won't be a jerk and pass judgement on it, at least until I've seen it.

MinnesotaJones

Wow. This film looks exactly like the source material! EXACTLY!!! Word for word of the ladybird book I used to read.
hansel-and-gretel-ladybird-books-series-777-read-it-yourself-level-2-gloss-1988-3671-p.jpg

I even see they took some inspiration from the book for their film poster.

Le Saboteur

And now there's a spiffy new Red Band trailer for your viewing pleasure!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ErGy23X0B9Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can't help but think Van Helsing while watching this.

hansel-and-gretel-witch-hunters-movie-poster-3_xlg.jpg

Finn

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
And now there's a spiffy new Red Band trailer for your viewing pleasure!
A bit of gore and a flash of a bare back earns it a red band?

It's a rather nice back though. They sure know how to make 'em in these parts.

Le Saboteur said:
I can't help but think Van Helsing while watching this.
Names To Run Away From Really Fast. Talking about the movie. Not the guy.

Le Saboteur

Finn said:
A bit of gore and a flash of a bare back earns it a red band?

The language, dear sir, the language. We can show horrible, depraved violence and have it be fit for general consumption, but the moment the blue language comes out the trailer gets flagged. Same goes for risque content.

Hansel-and-Gretel-Witch-Hunters.jpg

They gave us an R-rating for that?!

This opens Stateside tomorrow, but I haven't seen a lot of press for it yet. There's this article in the Los Angeles Times' Hero Complex blog, which is a decent read.

Gemma Arterton said:
“She’s not the damsel in distress, not the girlfriend,” Arterton said last week, speaking by phone from New York where she was promoting the film ahead of its opening Friday. “She’s a stand-alone character in her own right, very strong, very independent. That kind of role doesn’t come up very often, not having to be kissing anybody. It’s liberating.”

No kissing? How are they expecting to draw the male audience in?!

Stoo's Damned Taters website doesn't have a consensus yet.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Le Saboteur said:
No kissing? How are they expecting to draw the male audience in?!

There was some tight brother-sister hugging.

Where to begin?

Part Sleepy Hollow; part Van Helsing; part Jabberwocky; part '66 Django; 100% black comedy with some sardonic one-liners.

Falls into the category of eye candy. The forest by day. Gretel by day and night, but mostly when the lights are on. And when Gretel’s not around Mina is slipping into the healing waters.

I gave up trying to place a date on the precedings. When the pepperbox pistol appeared I was thinking 1830s or 1840s. Then that idea fell apart. See for yourselves.

‘Fairy tale’ is probably the best placement.

The DVD box has a quote that reads: “Gloriously gory”.

That sums up the final 20 minutes!