Olympus Has Fallen & White House Down

AndyLGR

So not for the first time Hollywood has 2 similar themed films coming out very close to each other, this time its the White House under terrorist attack.

I went to see Olympus has Fallen last night, basically its Die Hard in the White House, but it ticked all the boxes for anyone that likes this sort of action movie. Plenty of violence, good action, a good lead actor, bad guys dispatched in a variety of ways. Of course its cliched but IMO this film was everything that the recent Die Hard 5 should of been.

kongisking

I've heard it's decent as well as, yes, a far better Die Hard film than the last one was. Kinda sad, to see that franchise become a laughingstock. :(

Paden

I had really been looking forward to A Good Day to Die Hard until I read some of the reviews and got some feedback from acquaintances. Most of what I heard indicated that the movie was a disappointment. It's a shame. The franchise is one of my all time favorites. I'm sure I'll see the last installment at some point, but I'm in no hurry.

Everything I've heard about Olympus Has Fallen makes it sound like a solid action movie. I may try to catch it before it exits theaters.

AndyLGR

Paden said:
I had really been looking forward to A Good Day to Die Hard until I read some of the reviews and got some feedback from acquaintances. Most of what I heard indicated that the movie was a disappointment. It's a shame. The franchise is one of my all time favorites. I'm sure I'll see the last installment at some point, but I'm in no hurry.

Everything I've heard about Olympus Has Fallen makes it sound like a solid action movie. I may try to catch it before it exits theaters.
To my mind franchises like Die Hard end up getting diluted when you add in family members as sidekicks. Olympus has Fallen is just a solid old school action film.

Henry Jones VII

AndyLGR said:
To my mind franchises like Die Hard end up getting diluted when you add in family members as sidekicks. Olympus has Fallen is just a solid old school action film.

exactly what I think.

Die Hard for me ended with die hard 3. the rest is garbage (n)

AndyLGR

I went to see White House Down last night. Again probably better than the last die hard movie. This film when compared to Olympus has Fallen definitely had more die hard inspired scenes, the hero even wears a vest!

This doesn't take itself as seriously as Olympus has Fallen, the effects were more evident too. I liked Jamie Foxx as the president and huge plot holes aside its an easy way to spend 2 hours watching an action film. But it's sad to say that 2 die hard inspired/ rip off films have outshone the real die hard franchise this year.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I watched Olympus has Fallen last night, and I say scene for scene it was the same Die Hard (the Original) movie...updated for a modern audience. It wasn't a rip off or inspired by, it was the same movie.

I thought about diatribing those findings here...as an exercise in critique, but we'll see.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Angel has Fallen

A London has Fallen sequel is on the way:
Butler will be back to star as Secret Service agent Mike Banning, who has spent his career keeping American presidents safe. This time, he’s the target. If his attackers can take down half of Washington, D.C. with it, all the better. Among those at risk is the President, whose official plane Air Force One is code-named Angel.
With North Korean, then Pakistani antagonists, it's sort of the new Taken franchise.

AndyLGR

I will happily go and see the third one. There are no pretentions about these films, just old school action.