I hope there's no age subplot

Nathan Drake

I hope the movie doesn't have a subplot about Indy trying to come to terms with his age and this being that "one last adventure for old times sake". I mean we get it he's old compared to before. I want a good Indy adventure and if his age shows then fine. If there are references then fine. I just don't want half the movie to be dedicated to pulling our emotional strings with some cheap, shallow melodramatic soap about Indy comming to terms with how old he is like the last Rocky movie did.

No Ticket

I agree. The last thing we need to see is him dragging Marion to the island where the Ark was opened and then having a flashback of it... and then he drags her to the Raven bar (or where it used to be) and we get a flashback of that... and then he drags her to the old ship they were on... and then to the Well of Souls until she finally yells at him about living in the past or something.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Beautiful <I>Rocky Balboa</I> reference. (Although now I notice that Nathan Drake already mentioned it, but even so.) Of course, I liked it in that film...

I've long been a proponent of the notion that this film is only worth making if it deals with the passage of time in some meaningful way, communicating how Indy's era has passed him by. You would be right to point out that this isn't purely about age by any means; I'd envisage something more along the lines of <I>Seven Samurai</I> or <I>The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance</I>, about how Indy never really wins and he's given up a lot to lead the life he has and so forth. With the Cold War and McCarthyism and so forth, the era would pose a lot of potential for that. Are we getting that sort of storyline? Maybe, in parts? I'm not sure. I'm afraid that they may have went a more simplistic way in dealing with Indy's family (I'm all for family, I'm just not sure that's the most innovative or interesting way of telling this story), but that this film is going to be on the model of the sci-fi film suggests there may, in fact, be something interesting going on here about how Indy's type of hero is no longer that current.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I don't think we're going to get the age subplot. If there ever was initially, I would think Ford would go against it. Afterall, he's had to deal with people saying he's too old for the part, etc and it would be rather ironic to then have the character in a personal crisis having to deal with his age with the way the world is. Maybe it's the people around him who have the problem, art imitating life, perhaps? ;)

I think if there was to be a personal crisis (if any to do with age) it would probably be the family route (which I think they've gone and done) where Indy at the beginning, has his regrets about not having anyone, no ties and losing ties (eg. Marcus and possibly his Dad). So rather than being disappointed that Marion has given birth to his only son (based on assumption that Mutt is his son) he would probably be a bit upset at first but happier for it (which would destroy any possibility of soap opera moments in the film, which is the last thing we need besides little green men). Crisis over.

Michael24

Given the fact Lucas has said the film will address Indy's age, we're gonna get something dealing with the fact Indy is older and perhaps not quite as spry as he used to be. But I can't imagine it will overshadow other aspects of the film.

Michael24 said:
Given the fact Lucas has said the film will address Indy's age, we're gonna get something dealing with the fact Indy is older and perhaps not quite as spry as he used to be. But I can't imagine it will overshadow other aspects of the film.

I just took that as a era change sorta thing. New scenery, new villains to fit with Harrison's obvious age difference. I.e. everything clearly takes place much later than in the first films. That's how I took Lucas' statement...

commontone

I think his age will be addressed sparingly in dialogue and direct reference. It will probably be more like, Indy has a big fight with a Pat Roach type, then says, "Gimme a minute kid, I haven't done that in a while" or something while he recovers.

Or maybe a wise-ass crack from Indy like, "So much for the twilight years."

In any case, I think there will probably just be a few well-placed, crafted references to his age, rather than an overt subplot.

Miss_Jones

ResidentAlien said:
I just took that as a era change sorta thing. New scenery, new villains to fit with Harrison's obvious age difference. I.e. everything clearly takes place much later than in the first films. That's how I took Lucas' statement...

I don't imagine them delving really deeply into the issue except for the occasional «it's the years AND the mileage» joke...:p

sarah navarro

oki9Sedo said:
They're going to have to address his age in one way or another.
I wouldnt doubt it.You cant just be gone one second and be back the next totally diffrent without someone noticing.I expect Marion to bring it up:)

DoomsdayFAN

FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!! I hope like crazy that Indiana DOESNT say that STUPID universal line: "I too old for this sh*t" or "Im getting too old for this". That will be completely STUPID!!!!!!

WhipItGood

Might they deal with his age in terms of his career/profession, in that perhaps he assumes the place Marcus Brody held at the college? This way his age (and experiece) are rewarded with some semblance of advancement, as opposed to Indy simply getting "old" as a negative thing. Archaeology is definitely in his blood, but so is education and teaching the next generation about the history literally under their feet in this world... that too is a generational trait of the Joneses.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
WhipItGood said:
Might they deal with his age in terms of his career/profession, in that perhaps he assumes the place Marcus Brody held at the college? This way his age (and experiece) are rewarded with some semblance of advancement, as opposed to Indy simply getting "old" as a negative thing. Archaeology is definitely in his blood, but so is education and teaching the next generation about the history literally under their feet in this world... that too is a generational trait of the Joneses.

I certainly hope so. That's the one "positive" (really, it's mixed, but it's the most positive I'm willing to go) outcome to Indy's professional life that I'll buy as happening between Last Crusade and this film. Taking Marcus's old job is both sad and fulfilling, while still removing him from adventuring.

WhipItGood

Same here, No Ticket. And Attila: I'm thinking that perhaps Indy's 'promotion' might happen early in the film not later, so his taking the place of Marcus sets him up for this new adventure. We know that Indy enjoys his wild brand of field archaeology much more than teaching in the classroom. And Marcus proved in LC that he was still able to break away from the campus to go on new quests around the globe, disguised as research or museum-stocking ventures, whatever. It might possibly free Indy up to continue his digs, not remove him from further adventures. If nothing else, it would show evolution and growth for his character, which I'm guessing Ford (and Spielberg) would demand when making a 4th film.

Plus, Indy's been 'drafted' by the government before to help save the world, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's "volunteered" to beat the Russians to the prize once again. Men of Indy's experience (like his father before him in LC, like Abner in 4, maybe?) are rare valuables themselves in winning such quests.

ReggieSnake

Personally, I think if Indy takes Marcus's place it will be pre-film. With all the time gone by since the last movie there doesn't seem to be enough emotional impact of having it in the film without having Brody die in the film, and since he already has, God rest his soul, that won't be the case (Indy will be nicely settled in the future) That's my take, could be wrong.

WhipItGood

As for my comment about taking Brody's place, I always envisioned that Brody would have died (or retired) before this new story takes place. If Indy stepped into that role at the college, that might happen early in the film. The two changes wouldn't happen one-to-the-next on screen. A theory, anyway.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I have to agree with Reggie on this one; if Indy does take Marcus's position, I'd imagine it might have happened just after his death, meaning that it would presumably have occurred before the film even begins.

Echo22

I agree that the addressing of Indy's age will focus more on the passage of time and less on the aging of Indy. It sounds as though he's slowed down his lifestyle since Last Crusade - maybe semi-retired. And then something brings him back into the game. The Crystal Skull? Maybe. Or something the skull represents - who knows? But I think that what we'll see are a few age wisecracks from LeBeouf or Winstone. You could have, in one of the major fight scenes, the villain refer to him as "old man". There will be a few references like that.
But, I think that the major focus will be that he's been forced back into a world that he had long since given up for better things - Maybe teaching. Maybe family. It'll be interesting to see.
I'm betting that whatever brings him back into it will be something more than just a Crystal Skull.

DoomsdayFAN

The Ark maybe? :rolleyes:

But like I said earlyer... I swear to god, If Indy makes one joke about: "Im too old for this sh*t" or "Im getting to old for this" Im going to be dissapointed. (That they would use such an overused line)