back from Kauai

sorry about this starter thread,I just got back from Kauai and I am trying to figure out how to post my pictures on a thread but it is not working. How do i do this,anyone? anyone? Bueller? Bueller?:confused:

The Adventurer

No problem for thread...If you figure out how to post the pics I am pleased to see them.;)
I try now to put a picture...

indywg3.jpg

Last edited:

I just got back from the adventerous island of Kauai where Raiders and Jurassic where filmed. The last photo is from the airplane window,it is a picture of the Paramount peak Spielberg uses to fade into the first shot of Raiders.The sharp peak in the middle is the one.The other photos are of the same peak from about a quarter of a mile from where Spielberg lined up his camera which is now on private property. Click to enlarge these photos,I have many more I just need to set up a better format for doing this display. I hiked the Napali coast,26 miles of pure cliffhanging danger.;)I got pictures of that also which I will display later. :gun:

Last edited by a moderator:
I lived on Kauai years ago,it is strikingly beautiful and extremely adventerous. I decided to revisit last week. I was only there for one week this time and while I was there two women fell off a waterfall,a 7 foot Tiger Shark chomped a surfer,a hiker fell to his death from the same trail I was hiking on the same day. I eerily remember seeing him out on a impossible bluff that day,I believe I was seeing his departed spirit. Speaking of spirits the island is supposedly inhabited by thousands of Hawaiian ghosts that come forth out of a cave called "the Blue Room" where Jaque Crustoe first explored the hidden sea tunnels and underwater labrynths many years ago. I went into this dark cave placed high on a cliff,inside I had to swim underwater into a hidden room deep inside the rock, below the water glows blue from refracting light and echoes of only your own breath can be heard. This is where the Hawaiian Kings were buried 100's of years ago. They would be placed into canoes and lava rocks would help sink the death boat to the bottomless lava tube. I used to don my fedora and hike deep into the jungle,where it is actually safer than swimming or hiking shoreline. Centipedes,falling rocks,wild giant boar and flash floods are all you have to worry about. The legend of the hobbit like Menehune people also come from Kauai where stories of their mastery of mason work is still pondered upon by archeologists that still find hidden stone work left from their mysterious civilization. Numerous films used Kauai as their backdrop including South Pacific,Windtalkers with Nicolas Cage,Jurassic 1 and 3,Elvis's Blue Hawaii,Raiders, Six days and Seven Nights, and many others. There is a movie tour you can take to all these sights but I explored them myself staying away from the mass tourists that come and go. I love the fact that this is the island that Lucas proposed the Indy story to Spielberg. Enjoy the pics.:whip:

Last edited by a moderator:
René Belloq said:
Nice photos. (y) I'm definitely going now to Nepal to try and track down the Raven bar.
Thanks.I will be back on the Island in October to take more pictures of the actual film sights with my fedora and all. Good Luck on that search,I wouldnt know where to begin,maybe ask somebody where they take shots for money until someone passes out. If you find it let me know,I will be in China in December,which is close enough so I could head over for a cold one.Thats ofcourse if they rebuilt it after the fire and if it was even in Nepal.

Last edited:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
René Belloq said:
I'm definitely going now to Nepal to try and track down the Raven bar.

Hey please, the whole bar was just a matte painting and a set at Elstree.

Hey well alright!!! lets all head down to Elstree Studio,repaint the bar with fingerpaints and get hazed on some of roundshort's top choice. and oh yeah Finn thanks for the edit it looks swell.

This is my favorite part of the Raven experience, talking to myself. Thats right its me again you. Ive actually decided to head back to Kauai this week and take more photos of the Raider's enviroment. My objective is to go to every site that is in Raiders,take photos of them and post them here at the Raven. Why? Well see the Raven has actually become my own personal journal. I get to travel the world and put my adventures online, so that if I ever lose my pen and pad journals I have this forum to store it all and share with the adventerous Raven gang. I have in the past lost my journals to a variety of dangers, such as rising colorado river tides,dogs,police and various women I have slept with that get over curious. So, this way all of you that choose to join me here at the Raven get to see the photos and until A.I takes over Ive got it on file.See you all soon, this time Im bringing my fedora!:)

Who is they? Are speaking about the mods? I was purposing that I share my pictures of world travel and personal adventures to the Indy landscape. Thats what this Globe Trotting forum is for, if you dont want to explore the world with me through my photos then dont drop by when you see my name posted. Stay out of it RENE? Im starting to think that you and Clinton are the same person, lets see the two of you debate. It would be like Bruce Cambell fending off his own hand in Evil Dead 2.:)

Finn

Staff member
Keep 'em comin', 9pinejones, personally I think you couldn't have a picked a better place to flesh out your travels (even if it means I'll have to walk two steps behind you removing those extra tags)!

And what comes to guessing our persistent friend's identity here, I don't know he's someone we know, but he isn't Clinton, I'm quite sure of that.

And Rene, please leave the the estimation of bandwith left to those who know something about it, we have quite a bit left, thankyouweddymuch...

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I got about 8 miles along the Kalalau trail. It got steep so we headed back and returned just before the rain. Why is wet red dirt so slippery?

Thats too bad you had to head back, you were so close,well, if you consider 3 more miles close. Although turning around may have saved your life if it was wet, because the last 4 miles are the most trecherous,especially during rain. I was just on the trail last week when someone slipped just a mile from where I was,he was an experienced hiker,he did not survive the fall. The red dirt turns to clay when it gets moist,the clay then sticks to the bottom of the grooves on the boot or sneaker,then it becomes clay on clay which is extremely dangerous. Good to still have you with us Moedred,Ive done the hike a few times,last week was the worst Ive ever seen it,amazing scenery though,it was still worth the danger. While you were over there did you get to see some of the Indy Locations?

In that case please post away 9pinejones. I was just wondering as some other message boards have different ideas. I've been to most places in the world, so who knows maybe your photos will bring back some happy memories. Also it can be difficult to find photos on the web of places around the world. :whip:

Finn

Staff member
René Belloq said:
I was just wondering as some other message boards have different ideas.
Talk about your exotic adventures and holiday journeys here.

Reads below the link you use to enter this section. Right, we put it up just for show, didn't we...