Where was the whip?

RocketSledFight

I think the KOTCS whip-from-light-swing-into-truck moment was much more memorable than the uses of the whip in TOD or TLC, even if the number of times Indy uses it decreased overall. Ignoring that comprehensive list above, I struggled to think of something in both of those movies, and though I love young Indy using the whip against the lion on the train, I wouldn't say it compares to that warehouse swing.

Indyman4

You know I recently finished my own Indiana Jones fan film, and I realized just before we finished shooting it that I had forgotten to put any whip action in it even though I had been through several whips trying to get the perfect one. Then when it's over, Im like "wow I only really used it once... that's terrible". So I can understand how those things go. Here's the link to my movie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYX5mgdMbOU&feature=user

Cagefighterkip

Indyman4 said:
You know I recently finished my own Indiana Jones fan film, and I realized just before we finished shooting it that I had forgotten to put any whip action in it even though I had been through several whips trying to get the perfect one. Then when it's over, Im like "wow I only really used it once... that's terrible". So I can understand how those things go. Here's the link to my movie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYX5mgdMbOU&feature=user

very cool sir!

dream.jpg

Johnny Jones

Looks like an unhealthy relationship for Indy - he's completely whipped!:whip:

Yeah, okay, that was completely lame. But anyway I wish they hadn't taken out that part in the graveyard. It wouldn't have made the movie a whole lot better but it would have definitely improved the scene. And I doubt it would take nearly long enough to throw off the pace or anything.

Bvance

Johnny Jones said:
Yeah, okay, that was completely lame. But anyway I wish they hadn't taken out that part in the graveyard. It wouldn't have made the movie a whole lot better but it would have definitely improved the scene. And I doubt it would take nearly long enough to throw off the pace or anything.

Yup, I agree. But what if, just if that scene had something even more ridiculous than the 'Nuke the Fridge' stunt. Maybe the cemetery warrior throws a knife and Indy catches it in his teeth, or maybe he whips the warrior and the warrior smiles and winks an eye at Indy. ;) You never know. But hopefully someday we will be able to see what that scene contained.

Raider S

Indyman4 said:
But when you're anticipating the return of the Greatest Adventurer of All Time, you expect and anticipate lots of classic Indy whip action... which we did get some I just wanted more..

This is correct. People remember the originals and even though there wasn't any less whip action in the new one, in our minds it seems different than the classics. Most of what we all like about the whip comes from Raiders - especially the opening act of Raiders.

Indyman4

Raider S said:
This is correct. People remember the originals and even though there wasn't any less whip action in the new one, in our minds it seems different than the classics. Most of what we all like about the whip comes from Raiders - especially the opening act of Raiders.

Very well stated mate.

JP Jones

He uses the whip 3 times in LC

1. On the train he tames the lion

2. He swings into the castle

3. He saved Henry Sr. in the tank

In KotCS he uses it 4 times

1. To disarm the russian

2. swing from the top crates ("Damn I thought that was closer")

3. up to the rafters from the jeep

4. Trying to save Mac

( I did see Harrison Ford practicing for the deleted scene one on indianajones.com and it was really cool)

Darth Vile

mr.kotcs said:
He uses the whip 3 times in LC

1. On the train he tames the lion

2. He swings into the castle

3. He saved Henry Sr. in the tank

In KotCS he uses it 4 times

1. To disarm the russian

2. swing from the top crates ("Damn I thought that was closer")

3. up to the rafters from the jeep

4. Trying to save Mac

( I did see Harrison Ford practicing for the deleted scene one on indianajones.com and it was really cool)

From recollection, I don't think he used his whip to get up the rafters... I think he climbed up one of the light fittings (I could be wrong though).

Morning Bell

Darth Vile said:
From recollection, I don't think he used his whip to get up the rafters... I think he climbed up one of the light fittings (I could be wrong though).

Yeah, he used one of the lights to get up there.

Cole

Indy's whip is iconic, but he probably doesn't use it as much as we think.

Here's a question........what do you think are the best Indy "whip-usages?"

'Raiders of the Lost Ark' where Indy is first introduced by cracking the whip and takes the gun out of the guy's hand - that has to take the cake. More due to the fact that it's just such a great introduction to the character of Indiana Jones.

But I mean, if you look beyond that........the coolest Indy moments with a whip may indeed come from 'Crystal Skull.'

JP Jones

Morning Bell said:
Yeah, he used one of the lights to get up there.
I could have swore it made a whiping noise but I'll watch it today to confirm that. That was a beautiful stunt nevertheless. I really wish the cemetary whip wasn't taken out.:whip:

Going back to cole, I loved the hanging thugge whip. I'll state more of my favorites later.

James

Cole said:
'Raiders of the Lost Ark' where Indy is first introduced by cracking the whip and takes the gun out of the guy's hand - that has to take the cake. More due to the fact that it's just such a great introduction to the character of Indiana Jones.

But I mean, if you look beyond that........the coolest Indy moments with a whip may indeed come from 'Crystal Skull.'

My favorite usage in Raiders is when Indy's keeping the bandits at bay in the marketplace. I would've included a similar scene at Akator, with Indy trying to fend off the Ugha. (The Barranca disarm is great, but I consider it more of a character moment than a weapon showcase.)

As for the other films, I'd go with the Thuggee disarm in the jungle, the swing into Brunwald castle, and the running swing from atop the Hangar 51 crates.

I also think Ford using the whip takes precedence, which means KOTCS technically has more usages than LC in my book. (Sorry, River.)

Saber79

mr.kotcs said:
I could have swore it made a whiping noise but I'll watch it today to confirm that. That was a beautiful stunt nevertheless. I really wish the cemetary whip wasn't taken out.:whip:

Going back to cole, I loved the hanging thugge whip. I'll state more of my favorites later.

I could have sworn I heard the whip noise to when the cars are playing chicken. I always assumed he used the whip...I would think the light fixtures were a little to high to jump from the car at...

I really wish they included the scene in the cemetery against the warriors. That would have made a great addition to it, especially the way it was described in the book.

One scene I loved from the book is when Indy decided to take the whip out of "retirment" by taking it off the shelf and giving it a really hard snap, realizing that this is who he is....another excellent scene that would have been great for the movie...

Let's not get started on the lack of the gun...really it was for show I guess.

JP Jones

Favorite whip moments

Raiders

1. Whip drag
2. Intro
3. Fending off Cairo enemys

Temple

1.Thugee hang
2. Swing across the catwalk
3. End kiss

Crusade

1. Swing into the castle
2. Saving Henry Sr. from the tank
3. Lion cage

Skull

1. On top of crates
2. Disarming Russian
3. Saving Mac

Dayne

I would have loved to see Indy use the whip against Col. Dovchenko during the ant sequence, though there probably wasn't enough room.