Why didn't Indy ever shoot his pistol?

indyartist

Is it because of political correctness and in this day and age Indy using his gun would look bad to kids? He has it out in the graveyard scene but never shoots it. Also, he never has his gun again after the Russians capture him and Mutt at the graveyard.

...that and the beards have lost the edge of their youth!

The perils of growing old/having children of your own...and wives squaking in your ears.

Cole

I-Jones said:
Well, he accidentally shot a Russian in his foot when he drops the gun in the warehouse.
Little off topic..........but it's debatable whether or not it was a "planned" accident by Indy. The way Indy says "You got it pal" always made me think he had this up his sleeve.

The part where Indy pulls his revolver in the graveyard is simply awesome - especially with the witty dialogue that follows (an all-time great Indy line).

Indy never uses his revolver that much to begin with.

oki9Sedo

indyartist said:
Is it because of political correctness and in this day and age Indy using his gun would look bad to kids? He has it out in the graveyard scene but never shoots it. Also, he never has his gun again after the Russians capture him and Mutt at the graveyard.

Does he even have it after he gets kidnapped by the Russians?

To be fair, he does fire a missile!

Cole

Rocket Surgeon said:
:confused:

(Looks around)...what's the name of this place again?
Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Lets just think about it.

Raiders of the Lost Ark - just uses it once for the famous scene where he shoots the swordsman. Ford came up with it on set, not feeling well, quipping he never uses the gun.

Temple of Doom - just uses at the beginning in the car in the Shanghai chase right? Willie ends up dropping it out of the window. He's not even in his Indy gear in this one.

Last Crusade - just uses it when he's on the horse during the tank chase right? And I don't remember the bullets ever really hitting anything or having any sort of impact.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Cole

oki9Sedo said:
Does he even have it after he gets kidnapped by the Russians?

To be fair, he does fire a missile!
Well said, I love that scene.

Has a little nod to the famous line in 'Raiders': " I don't know, I'm making this up as I go."

"So what's he gonna do know?"
"I don't think he plans that far ahead."
(Indy emerges with huge missile)
"I'd cover my ears if I were you."

I don't understand how an Indy fan couldn't have loved this kind of stuff.

Cole said:
Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Lets just think about it.
Raiders of the Lost Ark - just uses it once for the famous scene where he shoots the swordsman. Ford came up with it on set, not feeling well, quipping he never uses the gun.
Please correct me if I'm wrong...

The whole point of looking around might have reminded you that you were in The Raven...

Think about it...THE RAVEN...:hat:

...just another reason Raiders rules the roost.

Cole

Rocket Surgeon said:
The whole point of looking around might have reminded you that you were in The Raven...

Think about it...THE RAVEN...:hat:
Well-done.

Even so, I don't think Indy uses his revolver THAT much.

Cole said:
Well-done.

Even so, I don't think Indy uses his revolver THAT much.

It's only in his reincarnations that his weapon doesn't perform...

He's always grabbing his gun, he goes for it quite a bit in Raiders.

Darth Vile

Rocket Surgeon said:

It's only in his reincarnations that his weapon doesn't perform...

He's always grabbing his gun, he goes for it quite a bit in Raiders.

He does... Raiders undeniably has more gun play than the other movies. And whilst KOTCS probably has the least amount of Indy gun play, TOD and TLC pay it little more than lip service.

I'm not one for the celebration of gun culture... so I'm quite glad Indy never comes across as a Dirty Harry type hero, but rather he's portrayed more of a fist fighting/fast thinking adventurer. This is also probably in keeping with Lucas and Spielberg's more liberal/slightly left of center principles rather than some "lost edge of their youth". Does it hurt the movies? Personally speaking, I wouldn't say so. The best action scenes for me are the ones that didn't involve (or substantially involve) the guns e.g. "German Mechanic", "Ants", "Truck Chase" etc.

mister64

In TLC Indy uses one of the Nazi's guns and shoots through like 3 guys at once during the tank chase, but that's mainly played for laughs. I was disappointed he didn't use it in KOTCS, especially when he had a perfect opportunity in the cemetery sequence.

I think it would have been funny if one of the cemetery warriors came up close to Indy and started showing off some martial arts skills as if to challenge Indy to a fight, and Indy just shoots him (might have been too obvious a nod to Raiders, but still would have been cool).

The Drifter

Was the pistol in ToD (the one Willie drops out of the window) even Indiana's own pistol? I thought that he got it from Wu Han when he lay dying in Indy's arms.

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Was the pistol in ToD (the one Willie drops out of the window) even Indiana's own pistol? I thought that he got it from Wu Han when he lay dying in Indy's arms.

Didn't Kao Kan take that gun off the table top?

Lance Quazar

...because KOTCS is watered-down pap with NO edge or sense of real danger or suspense ANYWHERE in it?

Oh, yeah. That's why.