Connery and Indy IV

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Eric Solo said:
I like John Hurt. He was great in Mr. Brooks and History of Violence. He makes a GREAT bad guy! I hope he's a bad guy in indy 4.

Good joke.

It's JOHN (!) Hurt. Not William.

Finn

Staff member
Judging by the evidence brought up in the last few posts, it appears Sir Sean Connery doesn't recognize a good script even if somebody banged his head with one.

No worries.

scifiwolf

I can't blame Connery for not doing the movie. He's really earned his retirement, and deserves to turn down every good movie that gets thrown his way. Turning down a good movie is only a bad move if you're an actor, and he doesn't act anymore. Enjoy your retirement, Sir!

Katarn07

Lon said:
While I love Sean Connery as Indy's dad I'm kind of glad he won't be in it. Part of what I love about the Indy movies is it's a different cast for each film. Each Indy movie is it's own adventure and not a continuing story from the previous film (thus making it NOT a true trilogy).

Agreed. I have been hoping for something along the lines of ToD. That movie is great, but differs from the other two due to its cast. The only characters besides Indy I'd love to see have return are Marcus, which just sadly can't be done, and Marion. And even then, I won't be crushed if Karen Allen doesn't have a part in it all. Still, she is the woman Indy should end up with despite his fling with Elsa and the other flings he'd likely have had between RotLA and Indy IV.

Grizzlor

Since I am a mega Connery fan, this news certainly stinks. I am happy though that he was seemingly quite happy and excited about the film. I guess, without Marcus, Henry Sr., and Sallah, this film will truly be quite new. I am quite excited to hear they casted John Hurt!

Gustav

Raven News #8 (Sean Connery is out)

RAVEN NEWS

SEAN CONNERY CONFIRMED HE WILL NOT BE IN 'INDIANA JONES 4'

Yes, it's true. It has been confirmed by the man himself: Sean Connery has decided to sit this one out, saying, "...retirement is just too damned much fun." while telling the rest of the cast to "break a leg".

Connery said if anything would have pulled him out of retirement, it would have been working with Lucas, Spielberg and Ford in another Indiana Jones film and indeed he says he gave it much consideration, but has decided not to return to acting after announcing his retirement in 2005.

Meanwhile John Hurt has also been added to the cast, but his role in the plot hasn't been revealed.

IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN ALIEN, READ NO FURTHER

You may know John Hurt as the guy in Alien who had the alien burst out of his chest or more recently as the vile fascist Sutler in V for Vendetta.

Last edited:

ChickenStu1

I'm very sad to hear the news about Connery. I was really hoping they'd sway him. Oh well, I'll still see the movie of course, but there's no denying that this news is a real blow... :(

FILMKRUSC

ChickenStu1 said:
I'm very sad to hear the news about Connery. I was really hoping they'd sway him. Oh well, I'll still see the movie of course, but there's no denying that this news is a real blow... :(

I agree. That's terrible news. I wished they would have backed the Brinks Truck up to his house. Pay him twice or even three times the amount to come out of retirement.
From the sounds of it, he has more interest in taking it easy/retirement than in making another movie. What a shame.

He could have went out with a huge bang with Indy 4 instead of his last movie being The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Wtf???? Goddamnit! Sean Connery, you're a complete c**t!

Only kidding - who cares if he's coming back or not? In fact, he ruined that last Indy film with his stupid 'jokes' and scottish accent, so good riddance to the old duffer. Up yours Connery!

fedoraboy

I'm not bothered by this news at all, I was hoping that Connery wouldn't appear or at least his role would be tiny, we don't want a retread of LC...and John Hurt's addition to the cast is much more welcome news...

Zorg

It would've been cool to see Connery on screen for one last time, but I can understand his decision. At least Lucas and co. tried to get him onboard.

Anyways, I think Connery would've had only a small role and didn't see it worth his while.

But we'll always have LC.. and Connery was great in it IMHO. :)

gear01

bugged

Wasn't it Sean Connery who said a few months ago it depended on the script?
Now that he read it, he decided to dodge this dud. Why do I have this feeling Indy4 is going to be a let down. John Rhys-Davies one of the most memorable Indy film characters and an actor who has appeared in two of the biggest film trilogies of all time, should have been back for the last outing. And Shia LaBeouf, sorry, is just too goofy to be a Jones, he looks nothing like his parents and how unimaginative will it be to watch another father son Indy adventure. I think Shia's addition was a marketing attempt to hedge Paramount's bet on an aging franchise with an over the hill fading star who may not still equal box office gold. Or worse, they see dollar signs in plans to spin off the Young Shia Jones Chronicles as a direct to DVD slash Saturday morning cartoon adventure. It was Shia who said he thought Indy having a daughter would be much more interesting. I totally agree. I loved the rumor of Natalie Portman kicking ass as Indy's daughter in a real action adventure! I think the dynamic of a daughter would be much more rewarding and interesting. How about a scene where Indy is trying his hardest to act as if he's unafraid of snakes in front of his 17 year old daughter.
As for writing, I personally hated "The Terminal" and I didn't think "Catch Me if you Can" was all that great. And how about my all-time personal favorite "Speed 2: Cruise Control" . Does this all sound like sour grapes, to me it is because I had a great Indy 4 story that got as high as Frank Marshall's desk then Frank Marshall's attorney 3 years ago, I was told by at least ten hollywood agents that everyone knows George Lucas comes up with the story. And in the end, that may be too bad.

Finn

Staff member
Moderator note

The Raven News #8 merged with this thread as they deal with the same subject. Helps keep the board clean.