Trilogy on Blu-Ray

IndyBr

Crack that whip said:
Whoa! I'd expect them to trim pages not pertaining to the movies, but adding ones?
There was no new pages from the movies (they even took some pages out, like the picture of Elsa), the only addition are the pages from the Grail Diary.

Also, since they took out the content from Young Indy, the pages from the beggining of the Last Crusade is not in it.

Last edited:

Goodeknight

While I really want to, I'm deliberately not watching that video. I want to be at least somewhat surprised.

I did take a quick peak when I saw the Club Obi Wan matchbook, though...

Been wondering about that.

Stoo

JackBurton said:
Here is a video I found which shows the content really nice :D ;) (start at 3:30)
These video reviewers are like kids doing 'show & tell' in Grade 2, elementary school. This is why I want to know just how limited the boxed sets really are. If only a (relatively) small number are produced, then it's rather unfortunate to think that they will end up in the hands of these types of casual fans who haven't "proved their worth". (Call me an Indy snob, but that's the way I feel.)

The chrisjwebb1 "nice" guy wasn't too sure about which film some of the ephemera came from and this new 'reviewer' doesn't even remember the names of Donovan, Willie and Kate Capshaw (+ a few other things).:rolleyes: Who buys a Collector Edition without knowing the name of a main character or the lead actress who played her?:confused:

Equally amusing is how they both think that the content of the journal was produced exclusively for the boxed set. They obviously don't know about "The Lost Journal" from 2008.

One thing is for sure, these limited editions are being opened-on-video by folks with a limited vocabulary. This guy says, "fantastic", more than the other guy says, "nice"!

Tablet rubbing - "That's fantastic, that is."
Film cell - "Fantastic release."
Journal -
"It looks fantastic."
"Ooh, this is fantastic."
"It's fantastic."
"Ah, this is fantastic."
"This is a really fantastic release."
"Yeah, this is a fantastic release."
"This is a fantastic release."
"He's fantastic in it."
"Oh, look at that. That's fantastic."
Pankot menu - "That's fantastic."
Set overall - "Fantastic release. Really happy to have it."

If anyone can find some more box-opening videos like these, please post them because they're a FANTASTIC laugh!:D

Last edited:

Goodeknight

Glad I didn't watch the video. Sounds less than....fantastic.

I don't know how many are being produced, but here's my thinking: If they're still available, it's not that limited. If it were 1000 of them or so, they'd have been snapped up by the time the IMAX closed or marathon day. Don't you think?

I mean, this guy pre-ordered:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8B24z4JX9Rc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

However, I still regret not getting the collector's edition of the Indy Ultimate Guide. Could have ordered it at cover price. I didn't, so now it would be, what, $250 on eBay?? Missed opportunities...

And I am still wondering if this thing will become a stateside release come Christmas (gift) time. Why put out one set of blu-rays, when you could put out two? (or three or four??)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Violet's Bluray Review- Part 1

I finally got my Collector's Edition set yesterday and watched newly restored Raiders. Firstly, I'll go through the set's extra gifts and packaging for Part 1.

Packaging- The Collector's Edition comes with a steelbox designed to look like the Indiana Jones journal that was released a few years back, which I happen to be a fan of so this was acceptable for me and fits with the designs of the Young Indy sets in a way, so it now feels more of a complete collection. The "pages" sides of the box however are not steel but cardboard and personally I think it would have been better off as steel covered in the print as I'm not a fan of the cardboard box fad that seems to be trending at the moment with boxset releases, mainly because cardboard is easily damaged, even if it folds out well and makes it easier to cover with graphics.

The DVDs are packaged the same as the standard but it is handy to ultimatey have the journal box to help preserve the cardboard set. Also what I did find rather convenient was the fact that once I got the little collectibles out of their plastic bags, everything and the DVD set fit absolutely perfectly within the box as opposed to when you normally do that with anything like a game, etc it's always hard to fit everything back into place.

In terms of the art, I absolutely adore it! They're not Drew Struzan, but to me, the work is equal and feels both familiar and new.

The Journal- As others have stated, it is to a degree, a reprint of the Journal from a couple of years back however it is reformatted, misses Young Indy pages and also misses certain pages that the other gifts that come with this edition. Yes, you read correctly. The design of the gifts are lifted directly from the Journal. And those pages are evidently missing in this journal. The journal however is meant to have been originally Henry Sr's in this version, solely for the fact that it's first ten pages are the Grail Diary pages, and after those pages follow the pages from 1925 on. The ten pages are cropped from the original Journal to fit properly and fit the idea that the journal is Henry Snr's initially. In terms of it's texture, the book cover is leather-like and the pages thinner and more journal-like in quality, which I quite like.

The Grail Rubbing- The paper that it's printed on is quite appropriate as is it's size. This is probably my favourite piece and will be framed.

The Club Obi-Wan matchbox- It's cute. I like the detail that they went as far to have wooden fake matches in the box itself. And now, I want to look up if it's address exists.

The film cell- I'm glad its a Raiders one, however I don't like the fact that everyone got the same one. It would have been more interesting if there had been three or four variants and you could have chosen it or been surprised by it. And I also prefer the back side picture with it's blurb about Raiders rather than the front side, it's still not a bad piece to have though.

The four postcards/prod stills- These I also like. Sure I've seen these pics before, but it's an inclusion that I welcome. And would consider hanging the LC or the Raiders ones.

The two photos- Again, both are lifted from the Journal, however they're printed on the right kinds of imitation photo paper and have a good suitable gloss. I actually like the Father and Son one better slightly, because of the edging and the paper looks a tad more authetic than the Raiders Marion signed one.

The Menu from Pankot Palace- Lifted from the Journal. Probably one of my least favourite gifts in this edition. Mainly because it's not something that I think would have been likely in the Indyverse- it's more of a fan fun thing like someone might hand this out at an Indy-themed party rather than something I would think to see in film world.

The Pan Am Ticket and Zeppelin tickets- Again, not my favourites, mainly because I feel they were last minute ideas that were also cheap to do. I don't find a lot of value in the way of those- Would have preferred Indy's passport or something a bit more inventive than stuff merely printed on paper- and I would have been willing to pay more for it too but then I suppose at the end of it all, Indy just ain't well loved enough for something a bit better.

Overall- I'm fairly happy with it and despite the lifting from the Journal, I love the new journal for being a tad more realistic and I lovethe Grail Rubbing for just being an awesome prop replica. I will note that it's kind of interesting that there isn't a KOTCS piece with the exception of the prod still. So obviously, they've accepted the non-love of that film.... I would have liked more physical objects such as a nice pin, rather than the overload of printed paper, but at least some of it I think was worth it and would be worth it to more lit-interested Indyfans.

So I reckon- 3.5 out of 5.

Crack that whip

Violet said:
The Journal- As others have stated, it is to a degree, a reprint of the Journal from a couple of years back however it is reformatted, misses Young Indy pages and also misses certain pages that the other gifts that come with this edition. Yes, you read correctly. The design of the gifts are lifted directly from the Journal. And those pages are evidently missing in this journal. The journal however is meant to have been originally Henry Sr's in this version, solely for the fact that it's first ten pages are the Grail Diary pages, and after those pages follow the pages from 1925 on. The ten pages are cropped from the original Journal to fit properly and fit the idea that the journal is Henry Snr's initially. In terms of it's texture, the book cover is leather-like and the pages thinner and more journal-like in quality, which I quite like.

When you say the first ten pages are the Grail Diary pages, what do you mean - are they reproductions of pages from the "real" Grail diary (seen in the movie), or are they taken from some other, previously published version (such as the one included with the computer game Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure), or what?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Crack that whip said:
When you say the first ten pages are the Grail Diary pages, what do you mean - are they reproductions of pages from the "real" Grail diary (seen in the movie), or are they taken from some other, previously published version (such as the one included with the computer game Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure), or what?

These pages are the re-production of the film version of the Grail Diary however they are the ones lifted and cropped from the Lost Journal of Indiana Jones published back in 2008 and have been printed in this journal at the very front as opposed to the 1938 section in the Lost Journal. All the gifts are based off the Lost Journal.

IndyBr

Violet said:
Overall- I'm fairly happy with it and despite the lifting from the Journal, I love the new journal for being a tad more realistic and I lovethe Grail Rubbing for just being an awesome prop replica. I will note that it's kind of interesting that there isn't a KOTCS piece with the exception of the prod still. So obviously, they've accepted the non-love of that film.... I would have liked more physical objects such as a nice pin, rather than the overload of printed paper, but at least some of it I think was worth it and would be worth it to more lit-interested Indyfans.

So I reckon- 3.5 out of 5.

So you think it was worth it? Mine haven't arrived yet, but I was planning in returning it and go for the standard edition. The box looks nice and all... but it was a big disappointment to see that it wasn't the Grail diary but a reprint of the Lost Journal with ten or twelve pages from the Grail diary.

That said, I managed to watch Raiders in blu-ray and I didn't have any issues with it, it was great. :)

Oh, by the way... the brazilian edition comes with one of the posters printed in a piece of fabric.

IndyBuff

Overall, I think the films look and sound great, though the improvement isn't as mind-blowing as I was expecting. They definitely look better than the DVDs but it isn't as big a leap as other older films I've seen on Blu-Ray, like Ben-Hur and The African Queen. The packaging is also somewhat mediocre. I like the artwork but the cardboard book feels a bit flimsy and I hate how tough it is to get the discs out. The discs themselves also have no artwork: just the movie's title on a white background. I can't speak for the international versions but the set here in the U.S., while still quite nice, just feels a bit thrown together.

Thankfully, it's the content that counts and I'm glad to finally have this series in HD.:whip:

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
I just saw the new 2 part documentary on Raiders and I must say it is wonderful, with many outtakes and parts of deleted scenes. Yes, parts of deleted scenes, not entire deleted scenes and this is a bit of a let down for me. I would like to see a scene in its whole and figure out how it would fit with the rest of the film. The feeling became worst when the outtakes and deleted scenes from the other movies were presented in a flash. At the end of the 58 minute of "From Jungle to Desert" & "From Adventure to Legend" comes a card saying that after the success of Raiders the creators made another 3 films and in a flash we see shots of the deleted scenes and thats all folks. Biiiiiiiig let down for me.(n) (n) (n)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
IndyBr said:
So you think it was worth it? Mine haven't arrived yet, but I was planning in returning it and go for the standard edition. The box looks nice and all... but it was a big disappointment to see that it wasn't the Grail diary but a reprint of the Lost Journal with ten or twelve pages from the Grail diary.

That said, I managed to watch Raiders in blu-ray and I didn't have any issues with it, it was great. :)

Oh, by the way... the brazilian edition comes with one of the posters printed in a piece of fabric.

For me and my collection, I think it is. The journal is smaller and as I said, more realistic and more journal-like the previously published Lost Journal, however wouldn't be a replacement as the Lost Journal has a lot more content. Certain items I loved but there were a few that I wasn't fazed by and wished that something more substantial could have replaced the said items. The biggest problem with the gifts as well as being based on the journal, is that it is an overload of printed paper (as nice and suitable as the paper might have been). The items that I'm happy with though far outweigh the items that I felt didn't really have a lot of value.

Henry W Jones

So what is the running time on TOD? Is it uncut? I ordered the special edition but it has to make it to the U.S. so I won't see it til next week.

IndyBuff

Henry W Jones said:
So what is the running time on TOD? Is it uncut? I ordered the special edition but it has to make it to the U.S. so I won't see it til next week.

ToD is the one film in the set I haven't had a chance to watch yet but as far as I know it's the same as previous releases.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Henry W Jones said:

It's the original cut with the scene of the heart removal and Short Round's whiping.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
By the way the number of the film cell is 57035. I think someone in an earlier post asked how limited the collector's edition was.

Randolph Carter

It's the original cut with the scene of the heart removal and Short Round's whiping.

Yes, uncut at last. All previous cuts waived by the BBFC and the rating increased from "PG" to "12".

I'mBatman

I thought it looked fantastic on Blu-Ray, i'm pretty impressed. Nice to see Indiana Jones get the Star Wars Blu Ray Treatment, minus about 30 hours of bonus content :p

AndyLGR

I got the box through this weekend and although I've not watched the movies yet, I have to say on first impression it comes across as being put together cheaply. No notes with it and the bonus disc doesn't seem too comprehensive. Oh well, its the films that count.