Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - uncut in UK for 1st time

Montana Smith

russds said:
I'm not so sure. The website is a little unclear. Is he saying:

a) the scene was cut only in the UK in order to obtain a PG rating in the UK, and would now be a part of the bluray release? - if so this isn't really correct as the scene was cut in all versions. (at least that i've ever seen)

b) the scene was cut in all releases in order to get a PG rating, and would now be included? - if this is what he's saying then sweet, can't wait to see it. However it kind of sounds like he's saying 'a', which leads me to believe the site is just plain incorrect, at least on this particular scene reference.

Oh well, either way, i'm crossing my fingers! :)

It listed all the cuts the BBFC made in order to give the film a PG rating for the following:

Passed PG after 1:06s of BBFC cuts for:

•UK 2008 Paramount R2 DVD
•UK 2003 Paramount Trilogy R2 DVD
•UK 1992 CIC VHS
•UK 1986 CIC VHS
•UK 1984 cinema release

The BBFC cuts were:

1.Cuts to a close-up of a heart being ripped from the chest and the subsequent self healing of the chest wound.

2.The deletion of the line ‘Leave him alone you bastards’ when the Chinese kid is about to be whipped

3.Deletion of the Chinese Kid burning a guard’s stomach with a flaming torch (and hence discovering an ability to heal)

4.The sequence in which a sacrifice victim is being lowered into the fiery pit has been shortened and set to different music.

5.Cut to the first 1s or 2s from the shot of his fall in order to delete the image of his head hitting the side of the cliff.

The Blu-ray is allegedly uncut. According to the BBFC site 57:18 seconds of "Additional Production Material" has been added to the film. If this refers to the film itself, then nine seconds are still missing. But it does say "[Additional material BD menu]" on the BBFC search page.

The addition was been rated 'U' on 3rd July 2012.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/CVV184194/

This may just be 57 seconds of film running during the Blu-ray menu sequence, and not a reference to the main feature itself.

russds

Originally Posted by russds
Wow, that is interesting. Sure would be sweet if tht scene were included on the bluray!

Montana Smith said:
It will be.

Pretty bold statement. Some have the UK BR already, can anybody confirm the scene is in ToD or not?

Montana Smith

russds said:
Pretty bold statement. Some have the UK BR already, can anybody confirm the scene is in ToD or not?

Alongside this, for the first time ever on Blu-ray, Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom is presented in its uncut format 28 years after it was first released in cinemas. The original release was cut in 1984 in the UK to obtain a PG rating, however fans can now witness all the gory cut extras in all their glory.

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/...Collector-Edition-Box-Set/ListingDetails.html

If these scenes aren't included...

1.Cuts to a close-up of a heart being ripped from the chest and the subsequent self healing of the chest wound.

2.The deletion of the line ?Leave him alone you bastards? when the Chinese kid is about to be whipped

3.Deletion of the Chinese Kid burning a guard?s stomach with a flaming torch (and hence discovering an ability to heal)

4.The sequence in which a sacrifice victim is being lowered into the fiery pit has been shortened and set to different music.

5.Cut to the first 1s or 2s from the shot of his fall in order to delete the image of his head hitting the side of the cliff.

...then the Blu-ray isn't "uncut", and therefore everyone is mis-selling this edition.

JediJones

I guess they mean Shorty burning the guard in the fight after he gets to the sacrificial temple. The movie definitely doesn't make it seem like Shorty learned that pain can heal the "black sleep" at that point, but maybe Spielberg was hoping it would be implied there, since we know the scene where Shorty sees the Thuggee burned by lava was cut, and that was the original way Shorty was supposed to learn that.

BBFC members notes on Temple of Doom in 1984:

548784_480633471970638_753299207_n.jpg

Last edited:
In case you're having difficulty reading...
Reel One: during the very stylish and pacey fight in the restaurant (which sets the breathless tone of the whole yarn), there is a shot when lJ (Jones) hurls a flaming kebab into a Japanese (?) baddie. The held shot of the screaming impaled man is not what I'd normally consider a 'PG' shot.

Reel Three: about two thirds of the way into the reel, when IJ is being garrotted in his bedroom, he (and Short Round, his side kick) manage to get the baddie caught in a ceiling fan. Again, the full sight of the man winched up and hung could be distressing to many kids. (There are many shock effects where things like partially decomposed bodies pop out and scare the heroine (sic). These shots - like the hideous snake and beetle meal in Reel 3 - are legitimate straight scares which just happen to be very well handled.)

Reel 4: Probably the most problematic shot of the whole film (as far as the hoped-for ‘PG’ is concerned) is the ritual ripping out of the heart that occurs in the Thuggee (?) ceremony. Again, special effects being very good may, ironically, cause the film to be more susceptible to cutting. We see the hand appear to enter the victim's body and the hole that is left. We must remember that this is fantasy and that the miraculous closing of the body reinforces this. However, sadism is present in the scene since we hear the onlookers say that the victim is alive as we see him lowered screaming into the flames. The shot of him screaming and on fire could also, perhaps, come out. At the end of Reel four, we also see a strong (but really cleverly suggested ) scene where a man is crushed on a stone-crushing machine. (I would not cut the scene where the child is whipped in the slave colony).

There can be few films to which members of the BBFC looked forward with more pleasure then the sequel to RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, one of the great masterpieces of kids’ entertainment and possibly the most thrilling adventure film ever made. It is thus with real sadness, indeed bordering on despondency, that we found ourselves, unanimously, confronted with the realisation that Reels 4 and 5 of this sequel go so for beyond the limits of the British 'PG' category that the film cannot he considered for a junior audience without cuts. There is absolutely no precedent in children‘s entertainment in Britain for the very real world of terror, ritual violence, black magic and nightmare imagery which takes over this film quite suddenly in the Temple of Doom sequence. All of us at the Board are deeply concerned at the effect which these reels could have on a young audience, and yet boys of 8 or 9 upwards will be breaking down the doors of cinema all over Britain if we stop them seeing the sequel to RAIDERS.

To tamper in any way with a Spielberg-Lucas film seems a sacrilege, and I hope that our previous handling of their work is an indication of the respect and admiration we have for them. The BBFC gave a ‘U’ certificate to ET and to the STAR WARS trilogy, while the MPAA made them all 'PG‘. In this country, we could simply not bring ourselves to attach to any of these smashing movies the warning: “Some scenes may be unsuitable for young children." In the case of ET we overlooked e few mild, muttered expletives as well es the potential scariness of the white-coated technicians and the profound sadness of ET's death, because the overwhelming mood and message of the film was to recreate the wonder of childhood end to endorse all the hopes and dreams of children for a loving and benevolent world.

Last edited:

Goodeknight

Very interesting. (Thanks for posting the verbatim next. I looked at the original image and didn't look forward to reading thru it.)

Funny how it comes across as a mix between a personal movie review and a censorship review.

AndyLGR

They are a great read. Thanks for posting them.

Its nice to see the excitement which the censors had for this film.

What also struck me was the final comments in that the film is bordering on an 18 in places. It just shows how times have changed and how the certification process seems to have been more strict back then. I wonder what certificate films like alien or predator would get if they were released now.

Randolph Carter

Too bad the BBFC didn't have the "12" rating back then...

There was always a big gap between "PG" and "15", and the "12" and "12A" ratings finally bridged that gap.

Well, at least the UK Blu ray is uncut...
...the first time since the movie's release that TOD has been issued uncut in UK.

Interesting that TOD was hacked up when James Ferman was in charge of the BBFC.
He's the guy that totally over reacted about things like nunchuks in films... even going so far as demanding cuts to cartoons like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Phlip

I'm new so hey. :)

Basically, I only found out of Temple of Doom's cuts (in the UK) last year and was glad to see the Blu-ray have those scenes restored, but one of the cuts that has been mentioned in the lists of reinstated cuts is Short Round apparently discovering that burning someone heals them from being brain washed from the blood of the Kali (or something), but in my Blu-ray copy, various different streams and different torrents, this certain bit is still cut, so I'm thinking no region has scene this. (Unless by sheer coincidence I never came across an American fully uncensored stream/torrent when I was checking out different versions.)

It's here, we see a shot of Indy looking down, then Willie being lowered into the pit of fire, and at the bottom is the very first frame of the next shot where behind Short Round is a guard who looks to be in pain, with the guard just next to him looking disorientated (which is more obvious in motion).

nysbxs.jpg

What is up with that? :(

Anyway, Temple of Doom is absolutely fantastic, and certainly my favourite. :)

Phlip

Henry W Jones said:
As far as I know, the only change in the U.K. is the heart ripping scene. Other than that, the other stuff is all cut scenes.
Before Blu-ray release, for us to get a PG we had to have these cuts. When I've seen other lists of cuts, they've often mentioned Shorty discovering the ability to heal with flame, and what I'm saying is that in no version is that specific bit there.

russds

I was also very interested in this, and if i remember correctly, there was some website that stated the censored scenes would be uncut in the UK version, and this included the scene where Short Round burns the thuggee and discovers that fire breaks the Kali curse. Here's a thread about it. As far as I know, it's nevery been released. The reason it's kind of a known cut scene is because it appeared on a trading card back in the 80's, it was apparently part of the movie so far along, that they made trading cards with an image from the scene, but was eventually cut, and never seen again.

Regarding the 3rd image, you're right, there does appear to be some kind of battle that happened just before that scene, because the thuggees both appear to be in pain, but we don't see anything. There was some speculation on one of the threads here, that in the scene just prior, short round used his knife (that's seldom seen) on the thuggees in a short brawl, and eventually got his way to Indy which is where the scene in the movie starts to take place.

There are some references to this info around in this forum, if you search around in the deleted scenes thread, and the blu-ray thread you'll probably find them.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Stoo

Russ is right on the money except for a certain detail that's worth pointing out.:)

Shorty didn't burn the guard in the deleted scene. The guy was hit in the legs by a burst of lava. Follow the link below and scroll down to "Burning Thuggee" for a description, a photo and a page from the comic:

http://www.theraider.net/films/todoom/deleted_scenes.php

Anyway, Phlip, that part was never included in any version of the film.

Oh, and welcome to The Raven.:hat:

Phlip

Well I'm glad to see it's not just my copy alone that has something missing. Really interested to know why those scenes are cut, unless generally they were too violent? But I doubt it.

Would have been cool to have those deleted scenes as extras in the BD release.