We are interviewing our friend Marty Casella at the end of this month for an extensive oral history project on the making of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.
Our goal is to interview as many of the surviving cast and crew members of RAIDERS as possible and put them together for future generations to read, study, and enjoy.
We would welcome any questions that you'd like to see asked. Marty has never actually been interviewed about his time as Steven Spielberg's assistant on RAIDERS. Some of the stories we've already heard from Marty are just great, but we'd like to get even more of his recollections down.
So please, if you're so inclined, fire away with the questions! With his permission, I'll also be revealing the identity of my collaborator on this project within the next week or so.
Upcoming interviews: Karen Allen, Richard Edlund, Drew Struzan, Deborah Nadoolman (Landis), and many more!
Richard Dean Starr
Curator and Webmaster,
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Originally Posted by ihatesnakes
The lack of questions might be because most current Raven regulars aren't interested in discussing the original Indiana Jones movies. Sad, I know, but it's quite apparent. (Show yourselves, people!)
Hope it's not too late but here are my submissions:
- At what point during production did your job begin and when did it end?
- It's known that "Raiders" was filmed quickly with Spielberg not asking for many shots to be done over & over again numerous times. Can you recall any shots which had a large number of multiple takes?
- Did you ever have any on-the-spot input/suggestions for a scene (or was that out-of-bounds for your position)?
- What was your worst & favourite day on set?
- Supposedly, George Lucas directed some scenes at the dig site in Tunisia. Do you have any memory of this? If so, do you know which ones?
- How worried were you & the crew when the biplane crashed during the shoot in Hawaii?
- Have you kept any special mementoes from your time working on "Raiders"?
PLEASE NOTE: When you get to interviewing Richard Edlund and Deborah Nadoolman, I have PLENTY of questions!
Not sure why the Raven regulars wouldn't be interested in hearing stories about RAIDERS that may have never been told before. Especially in light of the fact that Marty has never been interviewed about RAIDERS.
At any rate, thanks for providing those questions. We appreciate your help!