Indy 5 news 2018

TheFirebird1

Udvarnoky said:
Again I am perplexed by this narrative that the movie's development is being choked by a committee of Lucasfilm micromanagers.

CRYSTAL SKULL was stalled for 19 years over creative differences between Ford, Spielberg and Lucas. They didn't need any help from Disney or the Lucasfilm Story Group; they constantly second-guessed and delayed the movie all by themselves. What is so hard to believe about the notion that it's happening again? Besides which, Spielberg is perpetually entertaining a dozen projects at a time. Who knows how much real focus he's given this project since it was announced.
I think you're right. At this point, even with the chaotic restructuring of Lucasfilm, Spielberg could still embark on pre-production. He's just caught up with other projects now, and Indy isn't that important to him. Of course, corporate intervention has been problematic (i.e. Solo), but Spielberg obviously has more creative control over Indy, it is his baby, after all.
All we can hope for is that he doesn't decide to direct more unnecessary remakes before Indy 5.

TheFirebird1

Udvarnoky said:
Koepp could also have walked away from the project because he didn't have time anymore. He was signed to INDY 5 in March 2016. He has his own movies he wants to make.

It's entirely possible Spielberg wasn't happy with Koepp and wanted new blood. But it's also possible Koepp just couldn't fit another series of drafts into his schedule.
Was Koepp even working on anything during this stretch of time? I always thought that (for the most part) he and Steven usually collaborated on their projects.

Udvarnoky

Z dweller said:
Dude's gonna turn 76 in a couple of weeks...

That scares me sometimes. Then I think about how old John Williams and Michael Kahn are. Has anybody really reflected on the fact that with the current schedule, Williams will be no younger than 88 when he scores this thing?

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
That is by no means certain.
In fact the odds have just lenghtened considerably, in more ways than one.
Dude's gonna turn 76 in a couple of weeks...
What I meant was that as of this point he's still Indy. If there's another delay, I bet he'll be recast, but as for now I don't think his position will change.

TheFirebird1

Udvarnoky said:
That scares me sometimes. Then I think about how old John Williams and Michael Kahn are. Has anybody really reflected on the fact that with the current schedule, Williams will be no younger than 88 when he scores this thing?
That's another thing to worry about. Indy and Williams kind of go hand in hand, so what happens if something terrible were to happen between now and 2021 (presumably).

Udvarnoky

Something terrible, or even something perfectly natural, could ruin the premise of INDY 5 reuniting the original team for one last hurrah.

TheFirebird1

Udvarnoky said:
Something terrible, or even something perfectly natural, could ruin the premise of INDY 5 reuniting the original team for one last hurrah.
Yep. Hopefully everyone stays in perfect health during production, but the way things are now, it's impossible to be even a little certain of anything.

Z dweller

Udvarnoky said:
There's a solution for that.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e-Exe4YUJyI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Udvarnoky

Sure, but the entire appeal of INDY 5 is that it's the last stab at the series from the original team. If they're going to turnover the talent, then they should be doing the reboot. This business of trying to make a movie that's some middle ground between the two is a recipe for something no one will be particularly happy with.

I wonder if we'll get something official from Disney about the latest news. If they're moving the date, then they're at least going to announce a new one (that will be as made up and meaningless as the first two). Honestly, it seems kind of bizarre that they think they can't hit 2020. If production starts a full year from now, they're still on schedule. The situation with the script must be really problematic, or Spielberg is already marking out next summer for a replacement project.

Z dweller

Udvarnoky said:
Sure, but the entire appeal of INDY 5 is that it's the last stab at the series from the original team.
For you.
Udvarnoky said:
If they're going to turnover the talent, then they should be doing the reboot.
Recast ≠ reboot.

They don't have to remake Raiders, you can squeeze as many adventures as you want in the early 1930s and still honor the current timeline.

Udvarnoky

You can put mayonnaise on a hot fudge sundae too. Doesn't mean anybody is going to want to eat it.

I'm not particularly interested in the semantic argument of whether recasting the lead of a near-40-year franchise he has hitherto been synonymous with technically amounts to a "reboot" by dint of whatever definition that term has been sanctioned to have this week. The point is that such a move makes the project something different than the direct continuation that a title like INDY 5 implies. My position is commit to the continuation or commit to a new era. Or do both, one after the other.

Not sure who put forth the idea of remaking RAIDERS.

Z dweller

Udvarnoky said:
You can put mayonnaise on a hot fudge sundae too. Doesn't mean anybody is going to want to eat it.
Don't you see that exactly the same can be said about your preferred "last hooray" movie?

Heck, half of the people on here would rather watch a young actor wear the fedora in the next movie - and we're all hardcore IJ fans!

Good luck with drawing meaningful audiences to theaters to watch your "last hoorah" if it ever actually happens.

Udvarnoky

My friend, you're forgetting all about Option C!

FORRESTAL: BEFORE HE CASHED IN

An HBO limited series. Chris Pratt plays Indy's annoying competitor who seems to thwart him at every turn. He's ruthlessly intelligent and frankly very, very good, but also has a track record of being careless when it comes to light-based booby traps. In the series finale, Forrestal approaches the Chachapoya Temple, hopeful that the golden idol therein will be his ticket to fortune and glory.

Udvarnoky

Indy's trusty pilot has gone rogue, but will his pet snake Reggie approve?

Find out in JOCK'S TRAP, streaming exclusively on Crackle.

Udvarnoky

Sallah's incorrigible tendency to split town to meet Indy's camel-related needs leaves his wife to raise their nine children alone. Pushed to her breaking point, she "accidentally" sets her own house ablaze in a moment of madness. The kids escape, but now the "firebrand" matriarch has to convince the Judiciary of Egypt that it wasn't what it looked like in

FAYAH DIDN'T START THE FIRE: AN INDIANA JONES STORY

Z dweller

Variety: So, George, how did "Weekend at Indy's" come about?

Lucas: Well, I knew that Steve had always wanted to do a dark screwball comedy.
So I ask him "what do you expect Indy would be doing in the 80s?".
He thinks I'm joking, puts on his evil Gert Froebe look and goes "why, I expect him to die".
And that's how it started.