TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Collecting Indy
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2008, 03:57 PM   #26
ChromiumBlue37
IndyFan
 
ChromiumBlue37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 1,296
Hasbro has done a great job with figures, vehicles and environments, but why the massive amounts of the same old action figures. They are using the Star Wars formula for production numbers and case packs which makes little sense when maintaining a new line of action figures.
ChromiumBlue37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #27
vf wing
IndyFan
 
vf wing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 471
The ball was dropped from the beginning with apparent overestimates of how the line would sell. Yet it still doesn't make sense to pull the plug before the DVD and holiday season hit.

All this angst over an internet rumor. While it may be true, i'm not ready to put my faith in it.
vf wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #28
Avilos
IndyFan
 
Avilos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 604
I am just a casual "collector" at most. I have bought a few of the figures I like. I think the first RAIDERS line was weak. Toht should have been in the first wave. Instead they start with characters like "Monkey Man" and the "Cairo Swordsman"??!!! The Wal-Marts and Targets go to have tons of these figures.I The fact that they do not even have names should have been a hint. Kids who have recently been introduced to the films would not find them memorable. This is not like Stars Wars were every minor background character is a cool looking alien or Droid.
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #29
Abner Lives
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9
So Hasbro doen't want my money.....meh.

So what we've learned...

1) The line might end after TOD.
2) The line might not end after TOD.
3) The street date for for the next ROTLA wave is Jan 09.
4) The street date for the next ROTLA wave is Dec 09.
5) Hasbro is raking in the cash from this line.
6) Hasbro isn't making any money from this line.
7) Hasbro loves Indy.
8) Hasbro wants to throw Indy into a wrigling pile of flesh eating ants.
9) Hasbro listens to the fans.
10) Hasbro wants to throw the fans into a wrigling pile of flesh eating ants.
11) Everyone has a cousin who knows a guy who dated this chick that works at Hasbro.
12) None of this matters, really.

I'm pretty damn happy that we got what we got. It certainly beat the heck out of the Kenner days. Yes, Hasbro's indy decisions were made by a bunch of myopic, drunken, slow witted chimps with the hiccups and ADD. But after seeing what glorbes and Indyskin and the rest are able to do it just doesn't matter to me anymore. If the line continues I'll buy everything Hasbro puts out. If not, screw 'em, its their loss, I'll make my own.

End of "grumpy old Indy" impersonation.
Abner Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #30
Dewy9
IndyFan
 
Dewy9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 379
Well, I don't collect the action figures (the LEGO line is for me), but this is sad news for all Indy fans if it's true.
Dewy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #31
Vance
IndyFan
 
Vance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 663
There's an awful lot of 'dead plastic' from Crystal Skull on the shelves right now. I doubt Wal*Mart could GIVE the toys away at this point. Given that most stores are clogged to the rafters with Mutt and Spalko, to the point that they cannot physically fit the 'current' wave of toys, is anyone really surprised the line's dying?

I can't be, honestly. I'm dissapointed, but it's pretty obvious that the action figures relied on Crystal Skull being not only a hit, but a 'franchise seller', and it just plain wasn't.

At least the Chibis will continue a smidge longer.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #32
kevblee
IndyFan
 
kevblee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 132
I agree, if this is it for the Indy line.....that sucks, but I'm not surprised. Indy has never had the fan base that Star Wars has. The fourth film did well at the box office, but I don't think it stirred the Indy Fandom it could have. Let's face it, Star Wars is Hasbro's cash crop. GI Joe is seeing a resurgence ... and it's because of nostalgia. I loved my joes in the 80's ...and the new "old" school packaging has me collecting those again.

I always wanted a modern Indy figure, Willie and Shorty, and Henry Sr. It looks that much was and will be at least realized. If this is all we get....I guess we should be happy it happened at all. But I do think the line, the releases, were all poorly mis timed and mis managed.
kevblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:03 PM   #33
tnswman
IndyFan
 
tnswman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: East, Tennessee
Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromiumBlue37
Not to argue with you, but Hasbro presented pictures with a date. What's not to beleive? I still expect these to be made available, be it a retail or on-line exclusive. Retailers were probably placing orders based on the figures displayed at the presentation slideshow.

They can't just show a wave of figures and then not follow through with product.


come on now Bro....they were playing to the crowd..they did the EXACT same thing at the end of the joe run.

TRUST me on this.. I have heard the inside infor FROM THE SOURCE..These figures were left overs and the 1/09 date was HIGH hopes and to get out of the Con alive.
tnswman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:09 PM   #34
tnswman
IndyFan
 
tnswman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: East, Tennessee
Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abner Lives
So what we've learned...

1) The line might end after TOD.
2) The line might not end after TOD.
3) The street date for for the next ROTLA wave is Jan 09.
4) The street date for the next ROTLA wave is Dec 09.
5) Hasbro is raking in the cash from this line.
6) Hasbro isn't making any money from this line.
7) Hasbro loves Indy.
8) Hasbro wants to throw Indy into a wrigling pile of flesh eating ants.
9) Hasbro listens to the fans.
10) Hasbro wants to throw the fans into a wrigling pile of flesh eating ants.
11) Everyone has a cousin who knows a guy who dated this chick that works at Hasbro.
12) None of this matters, really.

I'm pretty damn happy that we got what we got. It certainly beat the heck out of the Kenner days. Yes, Hasbro's indy decisions were made by a bunch of myopic, drunken, slow witted chimps with the hiccups and ADD. But after seeing what glorbes and Indyskin and the rest are able to do it just doesn't matter to me anymore. If the line continues I'll buy everything Hasbro puts out. If not, screw 'em, its their loss, I'll make my own.

End of "grumpy old Indy" impersonation.


Before you reference my sources and make fun, you might want to know who you are talking to..I am the one who had these figures MONTHS before anyone else in america..I have been on the Hasbro side all the way until the pointthat they simply screwed the line.. That was the way it happened and to be honest, The only thing that was wrong with the Indy line was that we did not do enough to meet the GREED of Hasbro and Lucas...That's it.. When we showed hasbro that this was a Collector's only line, THEY WALKED AWAY...they had to though because Lucas is charging too much for a COLLECTOR's LINE!

Do ANY of you think that Hasbro payed for this line for Multiple years? HE!! NO!!! This was a one and done line with the hopes of 4 waves...If it caught fire then they could continue..Well, It made it's money and then it died....You need to look at who is responsible for that!! Look a tthe cases that are shipping now and the cases to come...What in the HE!! did Hasbro expect?
tnswman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #35
tnswman
IndyFan
 
tnswman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: East, Tennessee
Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
There's an awful lot of 'dead plastic' from Crystal Skull on the shelves right now. I doubt Wal*Mart could GIVE the toys away at this point. Given that most stores are clogged to the rafters with Mutt and Spalko, to the point that they cannot physically fit the 'current' wave of toys, is anyone really surprised the line's dying?

I can't be, honestly. I'm dissapointed, but it's pretty obvious that the action figures relied on Crystal Skull being not only a hit, but a 'franchise seller', and it just plain wasn't.

At least the Chibis will continue a smidge longer.


that was the whole problem..They DID rely on KOTCS to carry the whole line when they hardly released ANY KOTCS figures and toys..They should have been selling the Indy figures last year..we knew they were ready...However, this shows that they were after all of their money in a 5-6 month time frame.
tnswman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #36
Vance
IndyFan
 
Vance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnswman
that was the whole problem..They DID rely on KOTCS to carry the whole line when they hardly released ANY KOTCS figures and toys..They should have been selling the Indy figures last year..we knew they were ready...However, this shows that they were after all of their money in a 5-6 month time frame.

Well, that was largely out of Hasbro's hands. That's pure Lucas, baby. All of Lucas's licenses are pushed to sell his favorites, and screw the rest. (Look at the huge swath of Clone wars product, and the fact that prequel episodes are STILL getting the bulk of figures on the shelves). WotC has more than one expressed regret about the Star Wars gaming license.. and other companies with whom I have worked have voiced similar complaints about Lucas's demands on them.

So it's not a surprise. Half of Lego's line had to be Crystal Skull, after all, though the demands were for classic pieces. Temple of Doom was oddly and pointedly downplayed as even existing, and so on...

As a friend of mine once told me: "A Lucas license is basically paying an assload of money to get told what exactly you can make and how you can sell it, and, when done can only HOPE you get the money out of it."
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #37
tnswman
IndyFan
 
tnswman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: East, Tennessee
Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
Well, that was largely out of Hasbro's hands. That's pure Lucas, baby. All of Lucas's licenses are pushed to sell his favorites, and screw the rest. (Look at the huge swath of Clone wars product, and the fact that prequel episodes are STILL getting the bulk of figures on the shelves). WotC has more than one expressed regret about the Star Wars gaming license.. and other companies with whom I have worked have voiced similar complaints about Lucas's demands on them.

So it's not a surprise. Half of Lego's line had to be Crystal Skull, after all, though the demands were for classic pieces. Temple of Doom was oddly and pointedly downplayed as even existing, and so on...

As a friend of mine once told me: "A Lucas license is basically paying an assload of money to get told what exactly you can make and how you can sell it, and, when done can only HOPE you get the money out of it."

Here is the difference though, Star Wars has a MUCH longer sell through time. the clone Wars figures were made probably 3-1 times more than the Indy figures. Indy was dropped early on after the final TOD sculpts were turned in..As I said, These ROTLA figures are NOT NEW..the were made as a whole group of ROTLA figures and the suits chose the current figures for our wave 1. This second wave was NOT produced outside of Prototypes.
tnswman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:36 PM   #38
Vance
IndyFan
 
Vance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnswman
Here is the difference though, Star Wars has a MUCH longer sell through time. the clone Wars figures were made probably 3-1 times more than the Indy figures. Indy was dropped early on after the final TOD sculpts were turned in..As I said, These ROTLA figures are NOT NEW..the were made as a whole group of ROTLA figures and the suits chose the current figures for our wave 1. This second wave was NOT produced outside of Prototypes.

Yes, but you miss what I'm saying. Guess who got to approve the waves as they were shipped out, and why there's been so insane of a focus on not just Crystal Skulll figures, with Mutt in particular? Again, it wasn't Hasbro.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #39
Garfoot
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 44
I am just a little confused. Are the TOD figures that I have preordered and initally slated for mid September going to be released or cancelled? Or are they just pushed back to go along with the DVD of KOTCS? I am very new to this site so I was wondering if someone could clarify. However it sounds like the second wave of ROTLA are dead, is this right?
Garfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #40
Vance
IndyFan
 
Vance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfoot
I am just a little confused. Are the TOD figures that I have preordered and initally slated for mid September going to be released or cancelled? Or are they just pushed back to go along with the DVD of KOTCS? I am very new to this site so I was wondering if someone could clarify. However it sounds like the second wave of ROTLA are dead, is this right?

There hasn't been a formal announcement yet, but it looks grim at this point. (Wal*Mart is refusing to take any more Indiana Jones stock, for instance)
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:03 AM   #41
Abner Lives
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9
Rockin' the Hello Kitty Bag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromiumBlue37
What guy? Who? The guy from the link? Mr. Chester Cheetah? Is he a spokesman, Q & A rep or the Hasbro CEO, Mr. Brian Goldner? At this point, he's nobody.

Until Hasbro says officially otherwise, I consider this to be a rumor.

Fantastic point. The rumor might be true, might not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnswman
Before you reference my sources and make fun, ...


Whoa, don't get your fedora in a bunch. Firstly, I was referencing the source the "official" quote originally came from, not you. Please see chromium's quote above. I had no idea your cousin actually knew a guy who dated a chick who works at Hasbro. My deepest apologies to your cousin, the guy, and the chick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnswman
...you might want to know who you are talking to.

Seriously dude, unless you're Chuck Norris nobody should ever type that sentence. Its the hieght of douchebaggery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnswman
I am the one who had these figures MONTHS before anyone else in america.

I feel ya. I had the blue variant Hello Kitty backpack with the pink tassels before anyone else in Hoboken, NJ. My mother cried when she heard the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnswman
The Hasbro people that CAME TO ME were never afraid to be open that the line was dying. Then, things said made me think that the line was NEVER meant to be long term. .

Which is it, you had the inside track or they duped you?

Look, I have no doubt you're one of the big cheezes on the board. We can all pull out our bullwhips and measure them, but what's the point? In short, you were'nt the target.... but.... you do kinda fit the bill. You might want to realize that lately (at the very least) you have displayed a repeated propensity to offer obtuse observations that lack detail. I've also seen questions for clarification by other posters that have gone unanswered by you. It could be taken that your "protecting your sources" (even though you claim that they were unafraid to be open) or it could be taken that your making fairly obvious observations that anyone who has a Walmart card and reads the Hasbro Q&As could see. Your vaugeness opens you up, rightly or wrongly, to differing interpretations.

Again, my apologies if my sense of humor isn't as finely honed as your sense of self importance. Hey, if you've got an inside track then that's pretty dang cool. Just remember there's only one Chuck Norris.



P.S. I kitbashed my super cool Hello Kitty backpack and an old belt to make a makeshift gasmask bag just like Indy. Strangely, I'm still not as cool looking as Harrison Ford.
Abner Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:27 AM   #42
inky_skin
IndyFan
 
inky_skin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Devon, UK
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnswman
These ROTLA figures are NOT NEW..the were made as a whole group of ROTLA figures and the suits chose the current figures for our wave 1. This second wave was NOT produced outside of Prototypes.

Elements of the second Raiders wave did reach limited production, as can be seen from the use of the Toht body for the SDCC Cobra Commander. Therefore, tooling and mould costs have already been realised for this figure (75% - just needs a new head). Couldn't we at least get Toht by some means (HTS) ?
inky_skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #43
Spalkomania
IndyFan
 
Spalkomania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Inside the belly of that steel beast
Posts: 136
Hasbro have been in this business for a long time. I find it hard to believe that they can't think of some way to get these 5 figures out some way or another.
Spalkomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:31 AM   #44
tnswman
IndyFan
 
tnswman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: East, Tennessee
Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
There hasn't been a formal announcement yet, but it looks grim at this point. (Wal*Mart is refusing to take any more Indiana Jones stock, for instance)


Unfortunate but true!! that's why about 3 weeks ago, I told people that they had better order the TOD figures from whatever Pre-order site they can get to. They are NOT going to be easy to find.
tnswman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #45
tnswman
IndyFan
 
tnswman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: East, Tennessee
Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky_skin
Elements of the second Raiders wave did reach limited production, as can be seen from the use of the Toht body for the SDCC Cobra Commander. Therefore, tooling and mould costs have already been realised for this figure (75% - just needs a new head). Couldn't we at least get Toht by some means (HTS) ?


CC was a By product of a standard body that Hasbro liked.
tnswman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:36 AM   #46
tnswman
IndyFan
 
tnswman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: East, Tennessee
Posts: 1,990
[quote=Abner Lives]Fantastic point. The rumor might be true, might not.



Whoa, don't get your fedora in a bunch. Firstly, I was referencing the source the "official" quote originally came from, not you. Please see chromium's quote above. I had no idea your cousin actually knew a guy who dated a chick who works at Hasbro. My deepest apologies to your cousin, the guy, and the chick.



Seriously dude, unless you're Chuck Norris nobody should ever type that sentence. Its the hieght of douchebaggery.



I feel ya. I had the blue variant Hello Kitty backpack with the pink tassels before anyone else in Hoboken, NJ. My mother cried when she heard the news.



Which is it, you had the inside track or they duped you?

Look, I have no doubt you're one of the big cheezes on the board. We can all pull out our bullwhips and measure them, but what's the point? In short, you were'nt the target.... but.... you do kinda fit the bill. You might want to realize that lately (at the very least) you have displayed a repeated propensity to offer obtuse observations that lack detail. I've also seen questions for clarification by other posters that have gone unanswered by you. It could be taken that your "protecting your sources" (even though you claim that they were unafraid to be open) or it could be taken that your making fairly obvious observations that anyone who has a Walmart card and reads the Hasbro Q&As could see. Your vaugeness opens you up, rightly or wrongly, to differing interpretations.

Again, my apologies if my sense of humor isn't as finely honed as your sense of self importance. Hey, if you've got an inside track then that's pretty dang cool. Just remember there's only one Chuck Norris.


I don't need to lower myself to Chuck Norris's standard...It is also not my fault if you can NOT read or COMPREHEND the VERY direct answers I have been giving you and OTHERS here...I was right up front with people about what was happening...Is it my fault that people did not want to believe it?

I have seen the utmost ignorance involving this line and the team that was supposed to follow through. They didn't...They had lie after lie all hidden in riddles and high hopes. They did what they could to build anticipation for this line to sell through it's six month window.

Before you pretend to know it all, at least listen to those of us that actually know more than you!
tnswman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:39 AM   #47
tnswman
IndyFan
 
tnswman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: East, Tennessee
Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalkomania
Hasbro have been in this business for a long time. I find it hard to believe that they can't think of some way to get these 5 figures out some way or another.


Once again, you are missing the point of the contract that Lucas offered Hasbro. This contract grants extensions if Hasbro passes on it for 2009 now, They won't pay the same money again for the Indy line.

Had the team actually tried, they could have pushed these figures into 2008. However, instead.....we will hardly be able to find the TOD figures whose production ( as I'm told ) will be that of an exclusive level toy run.
tnswman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:23 AM   #48
indyt
IndyFan
 
indyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Under the Temple Mount
Posts: 542
I know Hasbro is different from LEGO. I actually have been buying some legos recently. Are they selling well? Are they expected to continue? I have actually seen the lego tank from LC for next year. I hope these come out. Any help?
indyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #49
phantom train
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 462
This is unfortunate news, if true (and it probably is). The pictures of the
2nd wave of ROTLA figures looked great, and it's too bad we may never get them.

Though this is obviously too late, the big H. could have handled this line much better if they had just done the following:

- Treated these figures as a line purely for collectors, and shipped limited #'s
- Once they shipped the initial KOTCS/ROTLA figures, start shipping full cases of just LC figures.

- Or, as others have mentioned on other threads, they could have "tested the waters" by shipping the figures in limited #'s to stores in Spring 2007 (approximately a year before the release of KOTCS), and continued shipping figures from ROTLA, TOD, and LC up until the release of KOTCS. This would have built up excitement for the film.

This all being said, I remember May 1st of this year (a day that will go down in infamy among IJ figure collectors) as the day I went all over town looking for the IJ figures and found very little. It seems the initial shipments sold out almost everywhere - of course, they became very easy to find later, but, on May 1st, who ever thought this line would end up in danger of cancellation 4 months later? Amazing.
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:38 AM   #50
JackBurton
IndyFan
 
JackBurton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 129
Quote:
I know Hasbro is different from LEGO. I actually have been buying some legos recently. Are they selling well? Are they expected to continue? I have actually seen the lego tank from LC for next year. I hope these come out. Any help?

They are selling pretty well.

http://www.lego.com/eng/info/default...&archive=false
JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.