Jonathan Ke Quan at Collectormania Midlands in the UK!!!!!

Rhys135

Jonathan Ke Quan a.k.a Shortround is coming to a convention in the UK - Collectormania Midlands.

More details can be found here :- Link

Goonie

Thanks for that bit of info. I passed it onto my UK Goonie friends over at TheGoonies.org.(y)

Edited to add: I see Kevork Malikyan (LC's Kazim) and Peter Pacey (LC's Hatay Tank Driver) will be there too.
http://www.collectormaniamidlands.com/ Someone pull a Mitchell Hallock and get interviews with these guys for the IndyCast!

Last edited:

Rhys135

George Harris a.k.a Captain Katanga is also there.

I'm actually conisdering going to this as I've just discovered that train tickets there are cheaper than I originally thought, plus I wouldn't mind doing something spontaneous to spice up my life :p

Don't know about recording conversations with em' - I'm sure there's some rule against this - but if you post some questions, I could ask them for answers :)

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Goonie said:
Thanks for that bit of info. I passed it onto my UK Goonie friends over at TheGoonies.org.(y)

Edited to add: I see Kevork Malikyan (LC's Kazim) and Peter Pacey (LC's Hatay Tank Driver) will be there too.
http://www.collectormaniamidlands.com/ Someone pull a Mitchell Hallock and get interviews with these guys for the IndyCast!

Don't pull a "Mitchell Hallock" - Better yet, put me on a plane for the UK and I will gladly interview them all! I haven't been to the UK in a few years!!

:whip:

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
I looked at the line up and Ernest Borgnine will be there... he is from the New Haven area and believe it or not was a roommate of my grandfather, the first Mitchell Hallock, way back in the early 1930s!

Goonie

A bunch of my Goonie friends over at TheGoonies.org are going to this. Last year, those TheGoonies.org members that went, they partied with Jeff Cohen (Chunk) and got drunk with the guy. (y) Too bad I can't go due to no job and no money. :( Darn this global ecomonic situation.:mad:

I know the Goonies actors still keep in touch, so Jeff maybe recommended this event to Jonathan.

Rhys135

Just a small update - two temple guards will be at this event (Mellan Mitchell and Moti Makan) along with one of the young boys who shared a cell with Shortround in the mines (Zia Geelani).

Anyone else going?

inky_skin

The VP of DC Comics (Dan Didio) is the highlight - suprised he's venturing over the pond. Depends what you're into - it's a traditional Comic Con in that it's mostly comic book artists and writers - no toy companies or movie stars like you get at SDCC. There are some top-notch individuals attending though - the likes of Simon Bisley, Dave Gibbons etc.

http://www.fantasyevents.org/guestlist.html

Rhys135

Well it was a very good and fun weekend. Only my second convention, but I was far more confident when talking to guests this time around, unlike London last year.

Ke was a great guy. Friendly, seemed genuinely happy being there, plenty of time for questions and posed for photos with everyone. Was very suprised at how much he still look's like Shortround/Data and his voice hasn't gone very deep either. I belive his other-half was keeping him company while he was there.

There was also a Q+A with him and some of the other Indy guests on Saturday, which was very funny and had some good anctidotes

Saw him for a final time just before I left, and he told me he was offered a cameo role in KOTCS but it was cancelled last minute, and asked if I was going to the Raiders of the Lost Adaptation charity screening in London at the end of the month.

Also had a Photoshoot done with him. When he saw me in costume he went "Indy! Indy!" just like he does in the film, which was awesome (y) and said that we wished he had his characters ball cap to wear. Here's the photo, one of my favourites :-

3281_74214056431_511466431_2209982_4978758_n.jpg

I'll post more pics etc when I've uploaded everything.

Stoo

Rhys135 said:
he told me he was offered a cameo role in KOTCS but it was cancelled last minute,
Wow. Nice scoop and a GREAT photo, Rhys. Congratulations! I'm glad you had a fun time.:whip:

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Rhys135 said:
Saw him for a final time just before I left, and he told me he was offered a cameo role in KOTCS but it was cancelled last minute

That would have been a great cameo! Probably at the wedding or as a student or teacher at Marshall College............... why did they have to drop this stuff? I am still baffled why Willie didn't show up for a cameo - she was on set?

Rhys135

l_371847cfd55e4f14b854f5bb3838f575.jpg

Zia Geelani "2nd Boy in Cell" in Temple of Doom

l_4b0cd4106aaa410ea6c60fb19aabca9e.jpg

l_9f78fac222f64e41bb8beabe1b807a07.jpg

Kevork Malikyan "Kazim" from Last Crusade

l_6a3f881298cf43eea7c18c637674f7a1.jpg

Mellan Mitchell "Thuggee" in Temple of Doom

l_38e98aec9e9b4fd3979ab115c94b7440.jpg

Peter Pacey "Hatay Tank Driver" in Last Crusade

l_4e585a3328544f61aefb55ddb48ed825.jpg

George Harris "Katanga" from Raiders

l_8d101488b3f64317b24dbb5213d6caf5.jpg

Ahmed El Shenawi "Snake Suprise!" in Temple of Doom

DocWhiskey

That is so cool, Rhys! What an experience!

I would've been so happy just to have met shorty but you met a great cast of characters!

Were they all nice people? Did you have any discussions with them?

Rhys135

Some random things I remember - sorry if it seems rushed!

Zia Geelani was cast in the film in a similar way to Short Round. Attended an audition with a friend who wanted the part, and ended up getting getting an audition himself and being told he would be meeting Spielberg soon!

Kevork Malikyan was very friendly, had a lot of general banter with him and he told me about the alternative scene in Last Crusade where he dies in Elsa's arm's. He thought it was a shame Spielberg didn't use it, as he thought it was very beautiful. He gave up on Kingdom half way through. Didn't understand what was going on lol!

George Harris was just very cool. Spoke about the improvised scene's on the ship and praised how Spielberg valued everybody's input into the film.

Peter Pacey learnt Turkish for his role as he had quite a few lines orginally, but they ended up being cut. The shot where the bullet goes into his head took around 3 days to film as he kept getting it wrong, but again he praised Spielberg as he had the patientce and was very helpful showing what he was doing wrong on the monitors. Told us that Denholm Elliott was a bit 'off/unlikeable' during those days and that Sean Connery was basically just Sean Connery.

Ahmed El Shenawi was a very jolly and funny guy. Told us he was HUGE back in those days and because of this during the dinner scene they had to lower the floor where he was sitting, so he could actually be seen as he was siting at the table!

The Thugee's didn't have much to say. Said that Ford was a nice guy and had plenty of time for everyone and even used some of his carpentry skills on set.

Ke also said that he was scared ****less of Amrish Puri on set, as he was always in character. Would do anything for Spielberg - shame he cancelled that cameo!

Also met George Lazenby there - he wasn't very talkative at his table, but he did a Q+A and a Photoshoot where he came across as decent and funny old chap.