rare(?) Russian DVD editions

davidraphael

I picked these up at 'Gorbushka' in Moscow a few years ago.

Russians have always had a very strange relationship with copyright. They produce quality dvds like anywhere else, it's just that, historically, they don't recognise intellectual copyright because of their previously communist culture.

These are probably limited print runs.

I also bought Star Wars on DVD. At the time we couldn't work out how they did it because Star Wars wasn't available at the time and wouldn't be released on DVD in the West for another 6 months! You can get anything in Russia, if you know where to look and who to go to...
Crazy place.

A lot of Russian editions have become collectable. Old Russian Beatles vinyl springs to mind (which, incidentally, I also have a few examples of!)

64197812.jpg

davidraphael said:
I picked these up at 'Gorbushka' in Moscow a few years ago.
Damn Commies, but very nice, Индиана Джонс! Would love to hear some of the dub! Did you get to watch them? Are they quality or no?

davidraphael

They're perfect DVD quality.

I can't remember if they're like other Russian dubs (ie, one voice does all the parts!), but when I have some time, I'll record some of it for you and post it.

davidraphael said:
They're perfect DVD quality.

I can't remember if they're like other Russian dubs (ie, one voice does all the parts!), but when I have some time, I'll record some of it for you and post it.

Thanks, its alway fun to hear the pronunciation of names, especially when they happen to break from their local accents...:hat:

Billy Ray

When I was in Afghanistan last year I saw a rather odd bootleg box set of all four Indy films. These guys go all out on their bootlegging, with really nice,quality,packaging. This set was no different but, for some reason, it had the promo image for Sideshow's Indy figure (the one that was on the cover of Tomarts) for ther artwork on the box. Wish I could have gotten a picture of it, but they kind of frown on people taking pictures of their illicit wares.

Here's the image:

afd_163a.jpg

davidraphael

These guys go all out on their bootlegging,

Absolutely. It's the same in China, India and Russia. In fact, most of the world only deals in bootlegs or rather, unofficial versions (to be clear, these are available in legitimate stores - they don't have copyright understanding like we do). For the most part they're created every bit as professionally as the official versions.
But yes, the covers are often very amusing. And the English on covers is hilarious. I have a chinese DVD of Forest Gump and the front cover exclaims "Cary Grant's worst movie to date!

Last edited:
Billy Ray said:
...they kind of frown on people taking pictures of their illicit wares.
What a great sentence! So they have SOME sense of propriety...
davidraphael said:
...covers are often very amusing. And the English on covers is hilarious. I have a chinese DVD of Forest Gump and the front cover exclaims "Cary Grant's worst movie to date!
Sounds like a great idea for a thread...

Billy Ray

I picked up a copy of The Pacific while I was there and they added this really elaborate menu that used cut scenes from some WWII video game. It was kind of neat, but I had to return it because it was missing a disc.

As far as covers go, the Indy set took the cake, but I did see some pretty funny ones. It's weird, because they had a lot of box sets with special packaging, that were just like the real thing. They had the King of Queens set that came in the UPS van and the Battlestar Galactica set with the exclusive Cylon figure, only instead of a Cylon, they stuck a Transformer in there.

Kind of wishing I had picked up the Indy set now.

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
Kind of wishing I had picked up the Indy set now.

I would have picked them up for the novelty value. I wonder what possessed them to use the Tomart's cover, when there must have been more appropriate images more readily available.

Kudos to Sideshow's sculpting talents!