what would Indy do?

I

Indy's_main_man

Some of my friends think that I can't truly be like Indy unless I drop my vegetarianism (which I took up not only for health reasons but for animal rights...but I'm not crazy like most animal rights ppl). Anyway... what do you guys think?

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
I don't think eating meat is going to make you more like Indy? Just 'cause he did, doesn't mean you have to do so too, especially if that means changing the things you stand for.

Finn

Staff member
Now, actually... being a vegetarian is very much Indy. May I remind you:
"It's more than they have in a week... you're insulting them and embarassing me. Eat."

And yes, I do eat meat, btw. The nature made man a carnivorous being.

Luckylighter

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and tell you to eat meat, because being a vegetarian is not as healthy as it's cracked up to be.

There are certain proteins and anitoxidants that can only be found in red meat, not too mention several vitamins and minerals. That's why vegetarians tend to be anemic.

Any good nutritionist will tell you that it is healthy to eat meat on a semi-regular basis, but like most things, don't overdue it.

Too much meat is no good for you, just like not enough meat is no good.

So my advice to you is to enjoy your veggies and health foods, but don't swear off meat entirely. Indulge in it every now and then. Despite what the vegetarians tell you, meat does have health benefits, and a diet that cuts it out completely is truly unbalanced, and that is unhealthy.

I know quite a few people who consider themselves vegetarians, who eat meat on occassion just for balance.

The point I'm trying to make is almost every food has it's health benefits, so don't say you'll never eat something, because there will be a time when that food will benefit you in some way.

Just eat everything in moderation, and you will be fine.

I

Indy's_main_man

i'm currently eating fish...of course all the PETA ppl want me to go vegan (icky). I'm not into soy cheese.

Luckylighter

The best advice I ever heard about nutrition is that if you crave something, eat it, because our cravings tell us what our bodies are lacking. If you crave chocolate all of a sudden, it could be your sugars are low, or you need caffeine. The most important thing we could do for ourselves is listen to what our bodies tell us. It knows better than we do what is good for us, what we need. So if you find yourself craving meat out of the blue, eat it, because your body is telling you that there is something your not getting enough of, and it needs to be replenished.

Just follow your body's directions, it knows what to do.

(But don't take my word for it. Go to a Nutritionist. Tell them that you want to be a vegetarian, but you are still unsure about the meat factor. They will have the best advice for you. Don't take anybody's word for it that you meet on a message board. You have to come to learn these things on your own. We can only point you in the right directions.)

Good Luck!

I

Indy's_main_man

ATTENTION!

I've just eaten a corn doag after leaving meat out of my diet for 3 years.

Not only does it feel good but i consider myself closer to Indy....well i will e after i get a new whip

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
I love meat so much that sometimes I have to force myself to eat vegetables. So really, I couldn't become vegetarian even if I wanted to. But I can understand that people protest because of the cruel way animals are turned into meat.

Luckylighter

vaxer said:
I love meat so much that sometimes I have to force myself to eat vegetables. So really, I couldn't become vegetarian even if I wanted to. But I can understand that people protest because of the cruel way animals are turned into meat.

I agree, that's why the only thing I refuse to eat is veal. I know that goes against what I said in previous posts, but I've never found myself craving veal in the first place, and I really don't see how it could have any health benefits that I can't find somewhere else.

Kate

I've been an on-again off-again vegetarian since I was eleven years old. In my experience, it's best not to deny yourself meat when you craveit, because cravings are your body's way of telling you you need something. So in between all my tofu stir fries and salads, I'll have a big juicy burger now and then. And PS: don't change your eating habits to become more like someone else. Change them because you want to and it feels best for you.

Webley

Indy's_main_man said:
Some of my friends think that I can't truly be like Indy unless I drop my vegetarianism (which I took up not only for health reasons but for animal rights...but I'm not crazy like most animal rights ppl). Anyway... what do you guys think?

I think the next time someone gives you a hard time you tell tham this
"Im not a vegetarian because I love animals Im a vegetarian because I hate plants."

S

skywlkrinc

The way I see it, if God didn't want you to eat animals then he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Luke

Indyologist

Indy's_main_man said:
i'm currently eating fish...of course all the PETA ppl want me to go vegan (icky). I'm not into soy cheese.

Well, it's fine and dandy to eat fish-- as long as you don't drink water. Fish make love in it, you know! (Sorry, your avatar kinda inspired me).

Tennessee R

skywlkrinc said:
The way I see it, if God didn't want you to eat animals then he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Luke

Agreed, Luke.
Although too much of anything is not good for you, meat in moderation (no, I'm not talking about you, Mods :) ) is probably good for you.

Strider

The thing about being a veggieguy is you have to eat EVERYTHING besides meat. I wouldn't have any trouble doing this but I have a friend who does. I find it rather ridiculas really, he's a vegatarien but the only vegitable he eats seems to be carrots. He mainly lives on cheese and crackers. I find it really sad, he misses out on so much.
If I were you I wouldn't go for all that vegatarian wishy washy stuff, eat meat!