Why were there five years between TOD and LC?

Indyman4

I'm wondering why there was such a long wait between the second and third movies. If Tod came out only 3 years after Raiders, why 5 between Tod and LC?

Bobcat

There could have been in number of reasons for the wait to make LC after TOD. Lucas was really developing his stuff at Skywalker Ranch like, LucasArts and THX, and ILM was begining to push the technology further then ever. Lucas also got back into directing after TOD. I believe he directed "Howard the Duck" and maybe "Willow"? Harrison Ford was looking for more dramatic roles, "Presumed Innocence" and "Mosquito Coast" type stuff. I guess Spielberg began his family with Kate Capshaw from TOD.

indyclone25

the reason the wait was so long was the story --- lucas wanted to do a story on a haunted castle and that was scrapped so it was about the story -- not because lucas directed howard the duck ( which he didn't direct he exc. produced it ) or willow ( ron howard directed that ) -- story was the reason why it was a few more years than it was supposed to be.

Niteshade007

Bobcat said:
I guess Spielberg began his family with Kate Capshaw from TOD.

Capshaw and Spielberg weren't married until the 1990s (possibly 1990). Spielberg was married to Amy Irving, who was the singing voice of Jessica Rabbit in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, a film which Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy, and Frank Marshall produced. That came out in 1988, which makes me think that Spielberg and his wife were still on good terms considering he got her in the movie.

IndyJr.

I personally beleive they should've made a film 3 years after ToD... And I don't believe this nonsense that "they couldn't come up with a good story" for 20 some years until just a few years ago when they started the process for KotCS... Look, just a few months ago I started on a storyline for Indy 5 and I've already come up with a whole boat loads of ideas. Ideas are not hard to come up with. I just believe they were just tired of making them, and it was just too taxing mentally to come up with another one... I've run into the same problem when I create scripts. A lot of times, after a while, you just don't feel like it anymore.

I firmly believe he should've done Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 3 years after The Last Crusade (maybe even 4 or 5)... then come back and do Indy 5... then Indy 6... then stop for a few years and have River Phoenix do some movies as Young Indy (movies, not TV Show)... but sadly, Phoenix died from stupidity, so there you go...

No Ticket

IndyJr. said:
I personally beleive they should've made a film 3 years after ToD... And I don't believe this nonsense that "they couldn't come up with a good story" for 20 some years until just a few years ago when they started the process for KotCS... Look, just a few months ago I started on a storyline for Indy 5 and I've already come up with a whole boat loads of ideas. Ideas are not hard to come up with. I just believe they were just tired of making them, and it was just too taxing mentally to come up with another one... I've run into the same problem when I create scripts. A lot of times, after a while, you just don't feel like it anymore.

I firmly believe he should've done Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 3 years after The Last Crusade (maybe even 4 or 5)... then come back and do Indy 5... then Indy 6... then stop for a few years and have River Phoenix do some movies as Young Indy (movies, not TV Show)... but sadly, Phoenix died from stupidity, so there you go...

Where is your list of ideas and are they really any good? Because I've thought about it before and I agree that it is hard to come up with another Indy story that is worthy of actually making an entire movie out of it.

So I believe that really was the reason.

graz

Don't forget as well that TOD took a bit of a critical hammering, and wasn't much loved by the Raiders fans at the time, so I'm sure they had a major rethink about the way the franchise should go..(despite the fact that alot of people love it in retrospect).

Bantu-Wind

Although Speilberg was married at the time, I think there was definitely something going on during the filming of TOD between him and Capshaw:

tod_7_800_600.jpg

Dust McAlan

IndyJr. said:
I personally beleive they should've made a film 3 years after ToD... And I don't believe this nonsense that "they couldn't come up with a good story" for 20 some years until just a few years ago when they started the process for KotCS... Look, just a few months ago I started on a storyline for Indy 5 and I've already come up with a whole boat loads of ideas. Ideas are not hard to come up with.
That might be, but you don't have the obstacle of having to have Lucas, Spielberg and Ford all sign off on it before entering production. You might think they're great, but there's no I in TEAM.

Niteshade007

Bantu-Wind said:
Although Speilberg was married at the time, I think there was definitely something going on during the filming of TOD between him and Capshaw

I agree that there appears to be some flirtation between the two during the behind the scenes footage, but I don't think that they would've waited that long to get together. There's obviously a connection between the two, but it doesn't necessarily mean that anything happened.