Adventurebilt Indy IV Update?

weaponx24

Anyone know when the Adventurebuilt site is going to put up its section about the Indy IV fedora? I've checked it a couple times and it still says more to come soon...Also I was thinking about possibley purchasing an AB...any AB owners out there that recommend them and what they like about them?

eazybox

weaponx24 said:
Anyone know when the Adventurebuilt site is going to put up its section about the Indy IV fedora? I've checked it a couple times and it still says more to come soon...Also I was thinking about possibley purchasing an AB...any AB owners out there that recommend them and what they like about them?

Better hurry if you want one-- Steve Delk has announced that he's retiring in about 3 years, and he's already got a waiting list more than a year long. Of course, Marc Kitter of Adventurebilt Deluxe in Germany has no plans to retire anytime soon, but his wait list may be even longer than Steve's and his ultra-high quality version of the AB costs a lot more.

The AB's are fabulous hats, and you can order them any way you want them, as they are custom made. I have the CS hat and also the Magnoli/Adventurebilt/Herbert Johnson, both of which I love, but they are quite different in both materials and appearance.

The AB's featured in CS actually disappointed me a little because they did not look as beaten up as the hats in the other films-- but that is actually the best advertisement for the quality of their hats that AB could have asked for. No hat is indestructable, but an AB obviously can take abuse better than most others can. They are specially treated for water repellancy and to resist crown taper, which happens to most hats over time.

The best thing to do would be to contact Steve by email and tell him what you want (or Marc if you prefer the Deluxe).

Jack

IAdventurer01

Nuts, he's retiring soon? I might have to step up getting one on my priority list.

As far as I can tell from the site though, I can't figure out the difference between the standard and deluxe. Is there much of one?

eazybox

IAdventurer01 said:
Nuts, he's retiring soon? I might have to step up getting one on my priority list.

As far as I can tell from the site though, I can't figure out the difference between the standard and deluxe. Is there much of one?

The Deluxe is made of the highest quality materials available anywhere in the world, including a roo hide sweatband. For many it's considered a little unnecessary and over the top, but there's no denying the Deluxe is a fine piece of workmanship for those who can afford the higher price.

Here's a thread by Marc Kitter detailing how he makes an AB Deluxe:

www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?p=378727#378727

Jack

IndyAJA77

I have one on order too and I've been waiting over 13 months. But, from everything I've heard, it will be worth the wait. I confess to being a bit anxious though, since it has been so long. I had hoped it be here for Christmas, now I'm hoping I'll get it in time for my birthday next month.

penman hats

Either way you go the Adventurebilt by Steve Delk or the Adventurebilt delux by Marc Kitter. You will not be disappointed and well worth the wait. They are just simple the best at making Indy hats. I have both of their work and they are fantastic.

Both are the nicest of guys, very giving of them selves and their time, when it comes to hat making. They have been a big help to me. I can not say enough about both of these gentlemen.

inuvuwow

Adventurebilt...

I got an Adventurebilt awhile back on Ebay and it simply is the best of the best. I love it. I wear it all the time.
Though, I must admit, I would love to order( hopefully soon) the grey hat from Crystal Skull from Penman Hats. I need something a little more dressy for special occasions.

WrathofGod

It's been about 19 months now since i ordered my hat from adventurebuilt, has anyone else waited longer than that or has anyone got a response from adventure built when enquiring about an ETA on their hat build?:confused:

penman hats

Here the deal. Steve makes his hats all by hand just like Marc and myself. Some hatter claim they make hats by hand but use sewing machines and machines. The Adventurebilt guys and myself do not. Only are 2 hands.

Steve and Marc's list is about a year and a half as the last I knew. They also get hit with e-mails and most of them are just after a couple of months of placing their order/payment. They ask if there is any progress even when both guys are known for their big lead times. This clogs up there e-mails a good deal. I know steve wakes up to a hundred e-mails a day. Takes time and sometimes e-mails get missed.

Since you are near the end of the wait I would keep hitting him with e-mails until you get a answer.

The good thing is Steve has always delivered on all his orders. He is a real stand up guy and I can only say that about very few.

I hope that helps some.

Canyon

penman hats said:
Either way you go the Adventurebilt by Steve Delk or the Adventurebilt delux by Marc Kitter. You will not be disappointed and well worth the wait. They are just simple the best at making Indy hats. I have both of their work and they are fantastic.

Both are the nicest of guys, very giving of them selves and their time, when it comes to hat making. They have been a big help to me. I can not say enough about both of these gentlemen.

I have to go with everything that penman hats has said here. :)

AB's hats are awesome and penman, your work in pretty spectacular as well! (enter clapping emote here) (y)

IndyAJA77

WrathofGod said:
It's been about 19 months now since i ordered my hat from adventurebuilt, has anyone else waited longer than that or has anyone got a response from adventure built when enquiring about an ETA on their hat build?:confused:

I'm up to 20 months and counting, so yes I'm in the same boat as you. Honestly, I've tried to forget about it so that it will be a nice, big surprise when it does arrive!

eazybox

The last I heard, which was a few days ago, Steve Delk was still working on '07 orders. He says that once he gets done with those, the wait times will shrink dramatically.

He blames the glut of '07 orders on the fact that he didn't raise his price soon enough after the announcement of AB being the hatter for CS.

Jack