Anybody have a copy of the original release of Raiders on VHS ??

micsteam

I can't remember if this was released in 1981,'82, or '83 but I'm looking for someone to help me find an original copy of Raiders 1st release on VHS. Any and all help appreciated. I'll settle for a copy if I can't get my hands on an origanl. Thnx

indyclone25

well since many of the originals were at rental price( 89.99 ) and it wasn't til about a year later when it was officially sold at 24.99. also the original was put on beta format.:D

Crack that whip

Actually, IIRC Raiders of the Lost Ark was one of the earliest movies released to videotape at a "sell-through" (i.e., affordable) price, as opposed to a "rental" one (where the studios expected to make most of their money from selling to video rental stores, since in those days the idea of someone wanting to own a personal copy of a movie was novel); it and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - also from Paramount - were I think the first two big, high-profile releases to get such pricing. I think the original MSRP for Raiders was $39.95; I'll have to check when I get time. I don't think any of the Indy movies were ever released on video at a price higher than $39.99 USD, in any format (even the laserdiscs used to top out at around $39.99, I think), at least individually (that is, not counting sets of three or four movies, obviously).

And yes, it was indeed also released on Beta (as well as laserdisc, and I think even CED videodisc). I have an original Beta cassette; it's my first movie I ever got a prerecorded, commercial copy of (as opposed to a homemade recording from TV or somebody else's copy of something). I treasure it.
:whip:

Goodeknight

micsteam said:
I can't remember if this was released in 1981,'82, or '83 but I'm looking for someone to help me find an original copy of Raiders 1st release on VHS. Any and all help appreciated. I'll settle for a copy if I can't get my hands on an origanl. Thnx

I don't have one to offer, but why do you want one? Just as a collectible or are you looking for something??? Just curious. So many people talk about slight variations here and there.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Crack that whip said:
Actually, IIRC Raiders of the Lost Ark was one of the earliest movies released to videotape at a "sell-through" (i.e., affordable) price, as opposed to a "rental" one (where the studios expected to make most of their money from selling to video rental stores, since in those days the idea of someone wanting to own a personal copy of a movie was novel); it and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - also from Paramount - were I think the first two big, high-profile releases to get such pricing. I think the original MSRP for Raiders was $39.95; I'll have to check when I get time. I don't think any of the Indy movies were ever released on video at a price higher than $39.99 USD, in any format (even the laserdiscs used to top out at around $39.99, I think), at least individually (that is, not counting sets of three or four movies, obviously).

And yes, it was indeed also released on Beta (as well as laserdisc, and I think even CED videodisc). I have an original Beta cassette; it's my first movie I ever got a prerecorded, commercial copy of (as opposed to a homemade recording from TV or somebody else's copy of something). I treasure it.
:whip:

Image9a.jpg

Image5a.jpg

ROB98374

I have an original VHS release banner and my first movie I ever bought, Raiders of the Lost Ark! It is still in pretty good shape considering I bought it over a quarter century ago, and watched it countless times.
photobucket-1415-1327735273154.jpg

photobucket-3849-1327735731339.jpg

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Mephisto said:
Does anyone recall ever seeing this image used as an advertisement for when this was released on video?
Indyraiders.jpg

The art was produced by Richard as part of the marketing campagin for the release of Raiders of the Lost Art for home viewing releases and was used in the in-store displays

Mephisto

JuniorJones said:
The art was produced by Richard as part of the marketing campagin for the release of Raiders of the Lost Art for home viewing releases and was used in the in-store displays

Junior! Have you ever seen confirmation it was in fact used as claimed?

Vaalwrath

This past weekend, I found what I believe is an original VHS copy of the first release of ROTLA (we bought this back when they first released it and I recall, we paid $50 dollars for it when we lived in Upstate, New York). I think only the 1st release had the teaser for TOD, though I could be wrong about that. Anyway, the VHS I picked up was a grand total of 55 cents, though it was one of those half-off days at the Salvation Army store where I picked it up, so I paid a grand total of 27 cents for it, AFTER sales taxes, LOL. :p Was able to confirm it works in our VCR/DVD player, but could not get the picture to come up... been so long since I used a VCR, that I can't recall how to make it work on these new flat screens, lol. Old age is catching me up, it seems... O_o