Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

Superboydevlin

Attila the Professor said:
I don't know, I haven't had the chance to play it yet, but it's a game that from everything I've read seems to include story as an afterthought, unlike Fate of Atlantis and Infernal Machine, has a wonky combat system, unlike Emperor's Tomb, has little freedom of exploration, unlike Infernal Machine, and isn't all that pretty to look at, unlike all three of those games, <I>and</I> the films.

P.S. And you have "boy" in your name, and give your year of birth as "0000," which leaves the possibilities pretty open and, with your rather breathless way of expressing yourself, points in one direction.

I got the name Superboydevlin about 13 years ago just stuck with it. And I would like to keep my birth date kept secret because I don't think you really need to know

DocWhiskey

Alright, just finished the PS2 version.

Went back and played some levels that I found somewhat enjoyable. Anyway I'm disappointed overall with the game. The premise is some parts were so cool (last level) but executed so poorly.

The graphics look nice on a basic tube television, but pretty bland, blurry, and muddy an a plasma HDTV. There's so many little glitches during this game like missing sound effects, jiggling polys and textures, and a VERY poorly executed story. Plus I hate the fact that when you have an enemy in a grapple and you're going to deliver the last punch, they fall before you make contact. Ugh. And in the last level, study the water in the cutscenes. Seriously, go ahead. It's laughable. One polygon is a wave. I can't believe they shipped the game with that in it.

What just happened? What did I just play? The staff of moses is a brilliant artifact for Indy to go after but the game delivered that so poorly. I could give two sh1ts about any characters in the game also. The only way it takes place in 1939 is by the game telling you. Why couldn't they have Marcus or Sallah or ANYONE appear? A mention by Indy would've even sufficed. In fact, there's no mention of anything previous to Indy's adventures besides the music.

The levels stink in the beginning, they get better in the middle (Nepal is the best level IMO), and then they stink in the end. And the PS2 is a rip off. You could unlock movie trailers to all 4 films, some concept art, or play the same crappy game over again with some new skins. And that's it. Lame. They made this game look so great. Let me tell ya, the marketing guys at LucasArts should get a raise AND castrations.

I would sell my copy now if I wasn't such an Indy whore. Man, what a missed opportunity. And while playing the last level all I could think is how amazing it would look on next gen consoles. What a shame. Hopefully the DS version is better.

Rent it if you're a HUGE Indy fan. Other then that skip it.

In the words of Indy: Trust me.

Anyway I give it a 2.5/5 (and I'm being generous)

Thank god Ghostbusters is coming out next week.

Superboydevlin

I beat the Wii version in 12 hours - 13minutes-47seconds. LucasArts did a very well job on the Wii version of Staff of Kings. this game was better than The Force Unleashed , which I beat in 3 hours and 8 minutes . Staff of kings was much more challenging than The Forced Unleashed and all the other Indy games. All the other Indy game's storylines were very predictable and not that exciting except Fate of Atlantis . Gameplay for Staff of Kings was very interactive with the enviroment and over all fun . Graphics were great . Story line was just like what would be in an Indiana Jones movie. Indy's voice over was great and sounded like a younger version Harrison Ford and Indy looked like a younger version of Harrison too. In the Staff of Kings Indy actually looks like Indy. Yeah all the other games kinda look like him and you get the idea but Staff of King's Indy looks the most like Indy over all . over all I would rate this game 9.5 out of 10 just because of some minor details that I noticed. Oh yeah, The missing satchel did not really bother me much ,I did not notice it because I was more worried about shooting those Germans , running out of giant temples that are collapsing, dodging enemy's fists in a fight, whipping enemys , solving puzzles, or just running for my dear life. I also did noy really care there were no Nazis ecept when Indy says Germans instead of Nazis. I thoughy this game was the best Indy experiance in a video game and was overall a fantastic game.

Well I don't think I much like this game. I'm not a serious game player as is so not having the option to play on easy just kind of sucks. It took me a few times to get through the first real fight, with like 6 guys. Then on to a plane right away? I think I spent 20 plus minutes on just the plane and then gave up for the night. I can't see where I'm supposed to go so I keep crashing. Nor do I like the Wii controls for the plane, it's way too sensitive. I hope it's not that long of a level, and I hope that the fighting isn't such a pain in the butt. I hope it gets better, but so far for my money the Lego game was much better.

indyjones2131

Need HELP in ISTANBUL

SPOILERS: **********************************:dead:

How the !@#$ do you jam the gears with the skull in istanbul? I've thrown it and dropped it a thousand times and it doesn't jam anything!

By the way isn't it funny that a crystal looking skull is used to jam the gears? Just like a crystal skull put a wrench in the spokes of the franchise!

Nurhachi1991

indyjones2131 said:
Need HELP in ISTANBUL

SPOILERS: **********************************:dead:

How the !@#$ do you jam the gears with the skull in istanbul? I've thrown it and dropped it a thousand times and it doesn't jam anything!

By the way isn't it funny that a crystal looking skull is used to jam the gears? Just like a crystal skull put a wrench in the spokes of the franchise!

Hahahahaha I had the same problem man! Just pick up the skull and flick the wii mote upwards.

Well there is one thing we can all agree on the last level on this game is FANTASTIC!!

Morning Bell

I just finished the game a few minutes ago and overall I like it. Granted, it's far too short and some of the Wii controls simply don't work like they should (especially on the last level, which is unfortunate because it's such a cool concept). Also, the piano level was really annoying and the controls were far too sensitive.

I'm looking forward to going through it again to collect all of the artifacts. Overall I'd rate it about a 7/10: it has some pretty frustrating moments but it's still a fun Indy adventure and I'm glad to finally be able to play it.:whip:

Lambonius

Niteshade007 said:
How do I beat the fire guy in Panama? He keeps dodging things I throw at him. Very upsetting. I just want him to die.

You just have to watch and learn his one attack pattern. Stay on the opposite side of the circle from him, and wait for him to spit the big blasts of fire three times. After his third fire blast or so, he'll throw one of his torches at you. Duck when he does this, then run up and whip him as soon as he starts drinking more gasoline (or whatever.) Whip-pull him in for a knee to the jaw at this point. Then back up and repeat the process. You only have to do it about three times before the fight ends. Throwing the objects on the ground does nothing. I think they are probably only there to throw you off from what you're supposed to do to beat him.

Lambonius

Nurhachi1991 said:
OH GOD I had a nightmare about The Piano level last night :dead:

It literally took me like 16 times to beat that

The piano bit (calling it a level is laughable, since it's only about a minute-long sequence) is just about the single worst game design idea in Indiana Jones videogame history. It's not hard at all though--in fact, completely the opposite. It's so laughably simple, I can't believe they put it in the game. If you simply move the piano counterclockwise around the edges of the room, it will hit every single German at just the right moment so that none of them make it up the ladders.

I think I officially dislike this game. The story has so much potential, but the execution is just so very very poor. I wanted to like it so bad. I tried and tried. I've played through it twice. It's just so bland and easy, and so full of bad dumbed-down gameplay ideas and glitches, I can't even fathom it.

KotCS is Citizen Kane compared to this game.

Rhys135

The DS version is pretty darn good. The story is explained much better, puzzles to solve, the levels are larger so there's more exploring to do and there are more enemies to fight off. The controls are a bit akward at times though, especially when I spent about 5 minutes last night trying to get Indy to climb over a ledge, but it's only a small complaint and the 'Cipher' mini-games do feel odd, but so far I do think it's my favourite version of SoK.

Lambonius said:
This one had me scratching my head for a while, too. Explore the room very carefully, particularly the two waterfalls. Is there a difference between the one that's closest to the swinging head an the one that's closest to the non-moving head? This might be an example of a hotset icon not showing up unless you're standing in the exact right spot...;)

Thanks! for that! :)

The Tingler

How does the FoA version look like??
Are there any difference between this and the good-old pc one?

It looks much the same. You can zoom in 2x and add anti-aliasing, which makes it look quite nice. You can save and load games easily.

The only problems with it is that you can't turn off subtitles (which is annoying, as usually the speech leaps ahead of the subtitles and it won't move on to the next character or scene until they finish), and you can't get out of the game once you're in it, which is ridiculous.

It's also a fine example of everything that's missing from Staff of Kings.

The Tingler

Rhys135 said:
The DS version is pretty darn good. The story is explained much better, puzzles to solve, the levels are larger so there's more exploring to do and there are more enemies to fight off. The controls are a bit akward at times though, especially when I spent about 5 minutes last night trying to get Indy to climb over a ledge, but it's only a small complaint and the 'Cipher' mini-games do feel odd, but so far I do think it's my favourite version of SoK.

Mmm, interesting! Does it have voice-acting?

The thing that is annoying me most is how badly the story is told, which is what I was looking forward to most. And what tripled my annoyance was that they cancelled the novel which would tell the story best!!

Superboydevlin said:
I beat the Wii version in 12 hours - 13minutes-47seconds. LucasArts did a very well job on the Wii version of Staff of Kings. this game was better than The Force Unleashed , which I beat in 3 hours and 8 minutes . Staff of kings was much more challenging than The Forced Unleashed and all the other Indy games. All the other Indy game's storylines were very predictable and not that exciting except Fate of Atlantis . Gameplay for Staff of Kings was very interactive with the enviroment and over all fun . Graphics were great . Story line was just like what would be in an Indiana Jones movie. Indy's voice over was great and sounded like a younger version Harrison Ford and Indy looked like a younger version of Harrison too. In the Staff of Kings Indy actually looks like Indy. Yeah all the other games kinda look like him and you get the idea but Staff of King's Indy looks the most like Indy over all . over all I would rate this game 9.5 out of 10 just because of some minor details that I noticed. Oh yeah, The missing satchel did not really bother me much ,I did not notice it because I was more worried about shooting those Germans , running out of giant temples that are collapsing, dodging enemy's fists in a fight, whipping enemys , solving puzzles, or just running for my dear life. I also did noy really care there were no Nazis ecept when Indy says Germans instead of Nazis. I thoughy this game was the best Indy experiance in a video game and was overall a fantastic game.

So long, sweet IQ of mine...

fixer79

The Tingler said:
Mmm, interesting! Does it have voice-acting?

That's what I like to know too. I doubt it though...

By the way, here's some Wii co-op footage. It's hosted by our LucasArts buddy Matt Shell, giddier than ever...

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/co-op-trailer-indiana-jones/51383

"This is the first time you and a friend will be able to play out an Indy adventure together."
"A familiar character, never playable before ... his dad, Henry Jones Sr."

Uh Matt... Can you say LEH-GOH? :p