Young Indy Article from Sep. 16 2012

T.E.Lawrence

Just discovered this Young Indy article from September 16, 2012.
I don't share many expressed opinion by that author, however I am putting the link anyway for the archival purposes:

http://www.zakiscorner.com/2012/09/nostalgia-theater-rediscovering-young.html
Nostalgia Theater: Rediscovering The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

The complete cinematic adventures of Indiana Jones make their high-def debut this Tuesday, so it seemed an appropriate time to look back at this overlooked entry in the daredevil archaeologist's canons. After the popular reception accorded to the opening flashback sequence of 1989's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, which had teenaged Indy (played by the late River Phoenix) acquire his trademark fedora, bullwhip, fear of snakes, and the scar on his chin in one very busy morning, creator George Lucas felt there was enough grist in that mill to expand Indiana Jones' adolescent escapades out to a weekly palette.

More on the link...

Stoo

T.E.Lawrence said:
I don't share many expressed opinion by that author,
Good to see you here you again, T.E.!:hat: I don't share the author's opinions, either. Much of the article is typically worthless, blogger tripe. He thought the series was "boring". Well, his article is boring! Except for...
Zaki from zakiscorner.com said:
However, some enterprising souls on the web have taken the opportunity to preserve those framing sequences, many of which were kind of important in paying off the episodes, and thrown them online. To wit, check out the first installment of "The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles."
Paraphrasing H.Ford as Han Solo: Those "enterprising souls" are just one person. Me!:p The article also uses another one of my videos which someone else trimmed & posted on their own YouTube channel. (The StooTV logo is on the clip.)
Zaki from zakiscorner.com said:
In a bid to goose the viewership a little bit after ABC moved the show to the Saturday night death slot, the producers roped in Harrison Ford (who'd previously turned the series down citing his film commitments) to make a cameo in the "Old Indy" wraparound for a special TV-movie entitled Young Indiana Jones and the Mystery of the Blues.
This is incorrect* because ABC never aired the show on a Saturday night before "Mystery of the Blues"! The episode with Harrison Ford was the very 1st time.:rolleyes:

Apart from that error, Zaki's description of the TV show's schedule & broadcast history reads suspiciously similar to what I had said a couple of months before on the INDYCAST podcast special. Could be a coincidence, though.

*Wrong information of this sort is exactly why I despise blogger journalism.(n)

Zaki Hasan

Hi there! Thanks much for re-posting my piece! Glad to know it's getting out there. And thank you, Stoo, for compiling those "Old Indy" segments and keeping them preserved!

Also, I appreciate you pointing out the error vis-a-vis the show's move to Saturdays. I actually knew that "Mystery of the Blues" was the first Saturday ep, I just didn't phrase is properly I do my best to avoid mistakes like that, but every once in awhile one will slip through.

I'm sorry you didn't find the rest of the post to your approval, though I am curious what you didn't like. The purpose of Nostalgia Theater on my site is mainly to give a humorous/bemused take on various pop culture artifacts, while hopefully throwing some info in there too.

As far as me calling the show "boring," bear in mind, as is clear in the piece, I was referring to the reaction of my twelve-year-old self from when it premiered (a reaction that wasn't uncommon, at least anecdotally). Beyond that, I'm not twelve anymore, as far as I know. :D

I've never heard the IndyCast, so I'll take it as a compliment if I got the timeline of the series' production correct, as I was typing it up mainly from memory.

Regardless, appreciate the link, and the discussion!

Randy_Flagg

I have to agree that the show was, for the most part, boring. And I think the fact that it had the name "Indiana Jones" in the title made it worse. It set the viewer up with expectations that were never met. Lucas MIGHT have been better off presenting the character in this show as an all-new character, rather than telling people that they would be seeing Indy (because, let's be honest, the person we saw in YIJ was not Indiana Jones.) On the other hand, of course, using the name "Indiana Jones" was a surefire marketing technique, sure to get people to pay attention.

I did rewatch a few episodes recently, just out of curiosity. I still think the pacing is panfully slow at times, and I don't like how heavy-handed it is with the educational aspects, but I do appreciate the technical brilliance of it more now than I did when I first watched the series as a highschool kid. And some of the historical context is pretty interesting. But still, I would have preferred it if they had actually included Indiana Jones in the series.