Ark burns US warehouse crate?

theinfiniteweird

I don't understand how so many Indiana Jones gurus can say "yes this is true beyond the shadow of a doubt" and then people still not believe.

Coincidences happen, you know.

Paden

Perhaps the only way to verify the exisitence/non-existence of the scene in question would be to examine a copy of the original theatrical reels. Any hard-core collectors out there own, or know someone that owns, a copy of the original theatrical reels, or have they all vanished into the vaults at Lucasfilm?

Professor Jones

Recovered memories... just recovered memories. I'm with Moedred.

There's never been such a scene in Raiders. And besides it's unlogical. God wins: the crate with the ark gets lost forever in the warehouse, as God wants, hidden from any evil purposes, and that's the moral of the movie. So it's perfectly right for the ark to remain quite and unoticed into his crate... burning out would be like spoiling the whole meaning of the necessary of remaining lost.

I don't mean I don't trust Aaron H and the others, but I think that the scene has never existed. I'm from Europe, and I've never saw that scene in no version: vhs, television, dvd... Just recovered memories and urban legends.

3headedmonkey

Aaron H said:
Yes, the scene is right before the credits roll, after the long shot of the warehouse.
I suppose, however, it would work well as a post-credits scene.

I would really like to see that scene? Any possibility to make a screenshot, or even an upload of that clip?

MolaRam2

Aaron H said:
The Nazi symbol burns away in the ship's hold...that is on all the regions.
However, on the Region 1 (and I presume Region 2) discs the final scene in the warehouse that has the American flag being burned away was cut.
Personally, I wish they had kept it in like it was for original theater release. It made a statement that no one, not even a government, can contain or control God.

This is the first I have ever heard about this missing scene and I am pissed. Is it up on youtube or anywhere?

Way of the dodo

It doesn't exist. The picture negative was LOCKED before the dubbing in various languages. It's impossible for a new scene to be simply dropped in for certain countries and not others, they all come from the same source. (as opposed to certain countries censoring stuff, which is merely chopping it out)

Crack that whip

Way of the dodo said:
It doesn't exist. The picture negative was LOCKED before the dubbing in various languages. It's impossible for a new scene to be simply dropped in for certain countries and not others, they all come from the same source. (as opposed to certain countries censoring stuff, which is merely chopping it out)

Indeed, and this does happen - but other countries (or even individual exhibitors) can't actually add stuff (at least not stuff shot by the original filmmakers during the original production), they can only take it away.

Stoo said:
Here's another "missing scene" story:
I saw "Raiders" 3 times in '81. The last 2 had Forrestal's trap scene
cut out right after "Stay out of the light". When it was re-released
a few years later, Forrestal was back! In all his gruesome glory. :dead:

I can believe you saw a print with a scene excised, but for the reasons described above, I don't think this would have been an "official" cut - if you saw a print of Raiders with Forrestal removed, I'd think it was possibly the result of ordinary print damage somewhere in that sequence, and the theater had trimmed some more frames from the print to facilitate splicing the rest together.

My last few theatrical viewings of Ratatouille were the same way - the part where Linguini tells Remy
"Thanks for coming back, little chef"
was gone, but surely not to create a pointless alternate version; I'm guessing the print broke or suffered some other damage at that point sometime during its life, and the theater repaired it as best they could.

Ignatius Stone

This topic was first posted in 2005, resurrected for one post in 2007, and then resurrected again today, and in all those intervening years no further evidence of any kind has surfaced to give credence to this alleged "second crate burning" scene.
Conclusion: urban myth. :)

MolaRam2

Ignatius Stone said:
This topic was first posted in 2005, resurrected for one post in 2007, and then resurrected again today, and in all those intervening years no further evidence of any kind has surfaced to give credence to this alleged "second crate burning" scene.

Yes, it is likely an urban myth. Unless there is a special cut of Raiders hidden somewhere, somewhere that no one can find it.

3headedmonkey

Ignatius Stone said:

But thats the exciting thing about myths...they just don't die :)
I've read about that scene in my tv magazin some time ago and searched for it in this forum and there are peope who claim to have seen that...so maybe there was only the idea of such a scene in an early script or so, maybe the scene exists but could be seen in just a few copys (something like Darth Maul's death, being not sliced)

i wonder if anyone could give a definitive answer...

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
I can believe you saw a print with a scene excised, but for the reasons described above, I don't think this would have been an "official" cut - if you saw a print of Raiders with Forrestal removed, I'd think it was possibly the result of ordinary print damage somewhere in that sequence, and the theater had trimmed some more frames from the print to facilitate splicing the rest together.
Oh, it was definitely a local cut. Botch job, too! At the time, I thought it might be censorship since I seem to remember 2 different theatres.
blueoakleyz said:
Are you talking about the part where it's in the storage area somewhere during night and it burns it? I remember that too.. just saw it recently
Where?

Too much: I remember, I can't tell...you unsubstantiated instigators.

The bottom line is that the text...(there never was a flag or logo) is still clear and legible in Crystal Skull.

The REAL question is:

Does the bomb blast destroy the warehouse and our countries' secrets?

:dead:

oki9Sedo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Too much: I remember, I can't tell...you unsubstantiated instigators.

The bottom line is that the text...(there never was a flag or logo) is still clear and legible in Crystal Skull.

The REAL question is:

No, the nuclear explosion isn't an accident, its planned. They obviously would have made sure the blast was very far away from Hangar 51.

oki9Sedo said:
No, the nuclear explosion isn't an accident, its planned. They obviously would have made sure the blast was very far away from Hangar 51.

I agree the blast was no accident..."closed for weapons testing". I don't know that it's so obvious, maybe it served a dual purpose and got rid of stuff they didn't know what to do with and/or didn't want to fall into someone else's hands.

Why is it obvious?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
I agree the blast was no accident..."closed for weapons testing". I don't know that it's so obvious, maybe it served a dual purpose and got rid of stuff they didn't know what to do with and/or didn't want to fall into someone else's hands.

Why is it obvious?

'Cause area 51 still exists today, despite countless tests in the Nevada Desert :confused:

Rocket Surgeon said:
Too much: I remember, I can't tell...post a picture to the contrary!

The REAL question is:

3306201495_8bddefc06b.jpg