Interstellar

jsarino

I don't see a discussion on Interstellar (by Christopher Nolan), so figure I'd start this one up. :) Trailer below. Thoughts?

<script height="360px" width="590px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=26aa5f02d93f4c05a4546f6d5ecb59b7&ec=0wcndibzq4t91ddU1UEbTQu7L3zC3IUN"></script>

kongisking

Me: "A new Christopher Nolan movie? Sign me the hell up!"

Most everyone else on this site: "A new Christopher Nolan movie? From the guy who's silly Batjerk movie made people hate KOTCS? Get me the hell away!"

:p

Forbidden Eye

Nolan or no, it should be pointed out this was originally going to be Spielberg's latest films before he pulled out and Nolan took over. Which makes sense as this looks much different than anything Nolan has done before.

Half of the film clearly resembles Close Encounters of the Third Kind. It's too early to see what the other half is like, though I sense something like Contact, if not 2001...either way color me intrigued.

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
Alright Alright Alright...

I think it's high time we had a PM session to discuss that, ummm "thing" we read...

Slowly backs out of room, receding into shadows.

Grizzlor

It looks astounding, but I'm not sure where the Nolan angle/hook/swerve is? I sincerely hope it's nothing like Contact.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
I think it's high time we had a PM session to discuss that, ummm "thing" we read...

Slowly backs out of room, receding into shadows.

F that dude, we need to meet in some seedy bar on the east side of Hollywood...

:eek:

I mean, for drinks...

Pale Horse

Staff member
Henry Jones VII said:
I didn't see the movie yet of course. But everyone who watches the trailer, can easily spot that.:rolleyes:

Maybe it's just a dream sequence.

DUN dun DAAAHHHNNN!

kongisking

Henry Jones VII said:
I didn't see the movie yet of course. But everyone who watches the trailer, can easily spot that.:rolleyes:

I must be mega-blind, because it wasn't instantly obvious to me. Part of my plan for this movie was to go into it nearly totally naked to the plot, so that I would fee like I'm going on a mysterious journey too. Oh well...

Didn't mean to snap at you. Rewatching the trailer, it makes sense. Apologies. :eek:

Dr. Gonzo

A few flaws aside... the film is a gorgeous ride and demands to be seen on real 70mm Imax film stock.

In a time of sequels and endless comic book movies, Interstellar is a nice breath of fresh air -- even if its not completely perfect.

I guess its now safe to talk about that Jonathan Nolan draft that was done when Spielberg was attached to direct (that some of us have read) -- It's clear the beginning and the end are pretty much the same as in the final film -- Chris came in and rewrote the middle into a less political/less characters/more locations piece... Which I thought worked better in the finished product as opposed to the Spielberg draft. So that's definitely good news -- since many times you see drafts that were better than the actual finished product.

but the one constant that was my favorite part of both the old script and the film: TARS who to the misfortune of the rest of the human cast is the most human character in the movie -- (with the exception of the scenes involving Cooper and Murph)

I didn't get too spoiler-y so I'll leave it at that for now, give folks some time to see it. But if anyone wants to discuss the triumphs and flaws of the film later, I'll be around to shoot the sh!t with you if you want...

Oh and by the way I'm not really a big Hans Zimmer fan but the epic booming organ music in this is just fantastic... at least it was my cup of tea anyway.

Last edited:

kongisking

Dr. Gonzo said:
A few flaws aside... the film is a gorgeous ride and demands to be seen on real 70mm Imax film stock.

In a time of sequels and endless comic book movies, Interstellar is a nice breath of fresh air -- even if its not completely perfect.

I guess its now safe to talk about that Jonathan Nolan draft that was done when Spielberg was attached to direct (that some of us have read) -- It's clear the beginning and the end are pretty much the same as in the final film -- Chris came in and rewrote the middle into a less political/less characters/more locations piece... Which I thought worked better in the finished product as opposed to the Spielberg draft. So that's definitely good news -- since many times you see drafts that were better than the actual finished product.

but the one constant that was my favorite part of both the old script and the film: TARS who to the misfortune of the rest of the human cast is the most human character in the movie -- (with the exception of the scenes involving Cooper and Murph)

I didn't get too spoiler-y so I'll leave it at that for now, give folks some time to see it. But if anyone wants to discuss the triumphs and flaws of the film later, I'll be around to shoot the sh!t with you if you want...

Oh and by the way I'm not really a big Hans Zimmer fan but the epic booming organ music in this is just fantastic... at least it was my cup of tea anyway.

At last, something to connect on. :p

I loved the movie as well. Though, I don't really get some of the criticisms of flat drama or generic plotting in the third act. I was most sold by the visuals, the fantastic acting by McConaughey and Hathaway, and the themes it explored. I was lucky to see it in IMAX, it makes the space travel scenes stupendous to behold. Fantastic film all around.

Duaner

Interstellar was definitely a good looking film and the music was incredible. I feel it is one of those films which must be viewed multiple times before I have a definite opinion on it.

Raiders90

Nolan, aka Jesus Christ, is truly the auteur of our age. Praise and peace be upon Nolan, Batman and grittiness.

kongisking

Raiders112390 said:
Nolan, aka Jesus Christ, is truly the auteur of our age. Praise and peace be upon Nolan, Batman and grittiness.

I bet similar exaggerated mocking of a popular filmmaker was thrown at our dear Mr. Spielberg back in the 80's. Him or Lucas. The difference? No internet to make it insufferably everywhere.

Pale Horse

Staff member
kongisking said:
No internet to make it insufferably everywhere.

The magazines had this sort of thing back then. At one point I have every printed pamphlet postulating the same accolades on the hot director of the times.