Trilogy on Blu-Ray

Indy's brother

Forbidden Eye said:
Exactly, but it seems some are already throwing out tired "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull suxs!!" punchlines. :rolleyes:

That said, I do wish the set was $10-$20 cheaper as I already own Kingdom on Blu-Ray, and just need the original trilogy.

Ditto to the punchlines. And a double ditto to your thoughts about KOTCS on Blu. The only way I can justify it is if there are KOTCS deleted scenes, and more making of featurettes. Of course I'll buy it in any case, but without some new material to go with it, it seems overly redundant. Especially since it's only 4 years old. Everyone of us who wants it on Blu already has it.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Yes, the ark appears twice. It's only a graphic...

I.M.J.

Montana Smith said:
They should have treated Indy in the same way they treated the Star Wars Blu-rays: separate OT and a PT sets for those who don't want all six.

With Indy they're selling KOTCS all over again to those who never really wanted it in the first place.

Well, I mean in all fairness if someone never really wanted KOTCS on Blu Ray in the first place, then that person wouldn't have bought it when it was first released, ya know?

I mean... I'm just sayin'. :) Either way, I think it's pretty (unfortunately) clear that the Indy movies are over, so this might be a definitive set. On that note, I guess a mega blu ray set someday that includes all of the movies and the Young Indy series packed in an arc box set might be super cool.

Montana Smith

I.M.J. said:
Well, I mean in all fairness if someone never really wanted KOTCS on Blu Ray in the first place, then that person wouldn't have bought it when it was first released, ya know?

I mean... I'm just sayin'. :) Either way, I think it's pretty (unfortunately) clear that the Indy movies are over, so this might be a definitive set. On that note, I guess a mega blu ray set someday that includes all of the movies and the Young Indy series packed in an arc box set might be super cool.

It's the film itself, not the Blu-ray, that was unwelcome.

I think it's pretty fortunate that they're over. Otherwise there'd be another 'Complete Adventures' set including yet another copy of KOTCS. ;)

I'll stick to the original trilogy on DVD until these pop up cheap secondhand. I have far too many movies to watch before I can even consider watching an Indy film again, so time isn't an issue.

All this hi-def picture money for old rope nonsense does my head in.

What next - making people pay for retina replacements so they can see Willie's cameltoe in certain scenes?

Seems especially bizarre making picture quality a criteria for rerelease cash-in when the films were all based on trashy black and white serials in the first place. Oh that delicious ironing.

Last edited:

IndyForever

replican't said:
All this hi-def picture money for old rope nonsense does my head in.

What next - making people pay for retina replacements so they can see Willie's cameltoe in certain scenes?

Seems especially bizarre making picture quality a criteria for rerelease cash-in when the films were all based on trashy black and white serials in the first place. Oh that delicious ironing.
You have obviously not seen or can appreciate the difference between Bluray vs DVD :rolleyes:

Montana Smith

If you have a six foot wide television you will apparently see Indy catch an egg on the Blu-ray. On DVD the quality was so poor that nobody could see it.

And there are also going to be the missing frames showing Belloq swallowing a bug. He actually winks at the camera when he does it. If you look closely into his pupils you'll see the reflection of Indy doing the sand dance.

However, I still have a six-foot DVD/BR mountain to climb before I can get around to experiencing these visual delights.

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
If you have a six foot wide television you will apparently see Indy catch an egg on the Blu-ray. On DVD the quality was so poor that nobody could see it.

And there are also going to be the missing frames showing Belloq swallowing a bug. He actually winks at the camera when he does it. If you look closely into his pupils you'll see the reflection of Indy doing the sand dance.

However, I still have a six-foot DVD/BR mountain to climb before I can get around to experiencing these visual delights.

Come on, Monty. You just want a six foot HD television and BR-player just to pause during that *certain* scene on the deck of Katanga's ship. Don't lie, you ol' devil. ;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
I'll stick to the original trilogy on DVD until these pop up cheap secondhand. I have far too many movies to watch before I can even consider watching an Indy film again, so time isn't an issue.

Indeed.

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Well to be fair to Skull, it has had its moment on blu-ray. Not really exciting that it's just being rereleased on the format. The first three are the real stars of the set since they're finally on blu-ray. So in that sense, I think it deserves to be downplayed in the trailers even though I do like KOTCS (more than TOD).

I suppose so, though one wonders how many held out for a future release or simply opted for the DVD.

One goes for the iconic in these montages, and apart from Crystal Skull's relative unpopularity, it takes time to acquire that status. Throwing in a shot from the warehouse is a natural. Spalko and the cliff is a solid call too. I'd likely have traded out something from either Doomtown or the ants sequence in lieu of the bazooka moment, though.

The Drifter

Attila the Professor said:
Indeed.

I suppose so, though one wonders how many held out for a future release or simply opted for the DVD.

I opted for the DVD back when it was released. I wanted to wait until all four were released in a nice BR boxset. But, I still may wait even longer for them to come down in price later on down the road.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The Drifter said:
I opted for the DVD back when it was released. I wanted to wait until all four were released in a nice BR boxset. But, I still may wait even longer for them to come down in price later on down the road.

Yeah, that's entirely my plan. And the list of things I've replaced on Blu-Ray so far is short: The Godfather Trilogy for its restoration, Stagecoach and 12 Angry Men for their Criterion editions.

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
Come on, Monty. You just want a six foot HD television and BR-player just to pause during that *certain* scene on the deck of Katanga's ship. Don't lie, you ol' devil. ;)

This is true. It'll be something well worth the wait. Via the magic of Blu-ray Marion's attire is allegedly completely see-through.

This, though, will have to wait until at least after Beyond The Valley of the Dolls, The Night Porter, Caligula, plus another 5' 10" of discs, and then fifteen more viewings of Sucker Punch.

Dr.Jonesy

One thing I hope they do for the KOTCS disc is make the chapters more closer together. They were spaced WAY too far apart. The first 3 DVDs were done great as far as chapter spacing, hope they do that with KOTCS.

IndyBr

The artwork looks great. I've ordered the "collector's edition" from UK... I hope it's worth it, can't wait for more information about it. :)

Le Saboteur

Just got back from San Diego a few hours ago.

In my lay opinion, the restoration of the original movies looks fantastic. While everything certainly seems brighter, what stood out for me were the richness of the colors in Temple of Doom -- especially on Mola Ram's attire -- and the blacks throughout all the flicks were equally deep with very clear definition between the actors, the props, and the sets.

How could I tell? Well, Lucasfilm was running a loop on a giant screen above their pavilion, and on a 40-something inch LED teevee behind the Well of Souls mock-up. Featured on the loop were the opening to Raiders of the Lost Ark, the beginning of The Last Crusade, and the bi-plane scene from the same. Temple of Doom had a few different scenes -- dining room, beginning of the mine car chase, the arrival at Pankot -- but weren't as long as the other sequences.

Oh, and the aforementioned Hangar 51 sequence was on display from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I pre-ordered it. I'd recommend it.

Well then.

Overall though, I was disappointed in the presentation despite the coolness of the Well of Souls replica. Lucasfilm commanded a lot of floor space, but most of it was dedicated to the handful of gaming stations running Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and ILM's booth/portfolio viewing station where they were giving away Ralph McQuarrie tribute pins. There was also a nice sample of his concept art on display.

But I digress. The entire pre-order process was me punching in my own information on some dude's iPad, and ordering through my own Amazon.com account. For my efforts, I was given the promised $25-buck gift card to Sideshow Collectibles. Nice? Yes, but the entire thing feels like a missed opportunity.

If this was supposed to be a way to reacquaint the world with Indiana Jones, a limited edition t-shirt would have been great. Plus, a booth with other assorted Indy merchandise -- new t-shirts, posters, the books, etc. That would have been the way to go in my opinion.

Le Saboteur said:

In my lay opinion, the restoration of the original movies looks fantastic. While everything certainly seems brighter, what stood out for me were the richness of the colors in Temple of Doom -- especially on Mola Ram's attire -- and the blacks throughout all the flicks were equally deep with very clear definition between the actors, the props, and the sets.

How could I tell? Well, Lucasfilm was running a loop on a giant screen above their pavilion, and on a 40-something inch LED teevee behind the Well of Souls mock-up. Featured on the loop were the opening to Raiders of the Lost Ark, the beginning of The Last Crusade, and the bi-plane scene from the same. Temple of Doom had a few different scenes -- dining room, beginning of the mine car chase, the arrival at Pankot -- but weren't as long as the other sequences.

Oh, and the aforementioned Hangar 51 sequence was on display from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Well then.

Overall though, I was disappointed in the presentation despite the coolness of the Well of Souls replica. Lucasfilm commanded a lot of floor space, but most of it was dedicated to the handful of gaming stations running Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and ILM's booth/portfolio viewing station where they were giving away Ralph McQuarrie tribute pins. There was also a nice sample of his concept art on display.

But I digress. The entire pre-order process was me punching in my own information on some dude's iPad, and ordering through my own Amazon.com account. For my efforts, I was given the promised $25-buck gift card to Sideshow Collectibles. Nice? Yes, but the entire thing feels like a missed opportunity.

If this was supposed to be a way to reacquaint the world with Indiana Jones, a limited edition t-shirt would have been great. Plus, a booth with other assorted Indy merchandise -- new t-shirts, posters, the books, etc. That would have been the way to go in my opinion.

Why? The world has moved on since Indiana Jones and any sense of mystery or awe around the original trilogy was eaten up by Crystal Skull being so utterly arsetastic. If Lucasarts had filled a whole hall full of Indiana Jones it wouldnt have sold any more copies of the disks. Everyone's seen the films already and ithe only hook is the Blu-ray and a new box. Whoopy-doo.

Dr.Jonesy

Le Saboteur said:

Well then.

Great info. Thanks for sharing!
:hat:

I would've loved to have been there. I wish LucasFilm would beef up their Indy presentations and attention to it; they could've used a bigger booth and other merchandise as you said.

But it really sounds great, especially the picture quality.