More Evidence of Finnish Superiority

MissDefense

I'm half finnish....but kind proud of these things...only finnish genius could invent them!:D :D :D :D I suggest also the throw of nokia cell phone and the throw of the boot!

Finn

Staff member
You know, in like three or four times in a row during the last years, the winner's actually been an Estonian.

If you want true evidence, seek out "rubber boot throwing" or "bog soccer". And I'm not kidding.

MissDefense

I remember also a "sauna" competition where the winner is the one who stays more time in a sauna,or something like that!

whipem

Heh, I'm not Finnish at all (closest I can come to that is through my great-uncle who married someone is Iceland), but I like Finntroll! Someone's got to make folk metal.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Finntroll is pretty good, but I prefer Ensiferum myself. They sing in English while Finntroll's songs are in Swedish.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I just got the craftiest automated spam email, notifying me of a broken link and directing me to somewhere different. Most folks it seems are unfamiliar with the Internet Archive. Anyway, here you go:
Wife Carrying World Championships
When: 6 - 8 Jul 2007 (annual)
Where: Market Square
Cost: €50 registration fee; free to watch
Opening Hours: Corporate event 12pm; world championships 3pm

In 2007 the annual Wife Carrying World Championships in Sonkajärvi is expected to attract more spectators, media and piggy-backing couples than ever before.
This annual event involves an arduous men's race over 250 metres of obstacles, including a water jump. The only snag is that the competitor has to carry his wife on his back, in order to win her weight in beer.
A few rules apply of course - the wife must be over 17 years of age and more than 49 kilos in weight. A 15-second penalty (and probably a severe telling off) is incurred should she be dropped during the course of the race. No props are allowed except for a belt and the winner is the couple to make it round the track fastest.
Along with the main event, there are also a team competition, a triathlon and a "classic" race. The track is the same but three men in the team carry the wife in turn. At the exchange point the carrier has to drink the official "wife carrying drink" before continuing the race. A special prize is awarded to the team with the best costumes.
The roots of this event go back to the early 19th century. At this time, the area was under the influence of a local brigand named Rosvo-Ronkainen, who would only take men into his gang who proved their worth in a contest. After much deliberation he borrowed a local habit of stealing women from neighbouring villages and a tradition was born.
Related Information Website: http://www.sonkajarvi.fi

Finn

Staff member
So the commune of Sonkajärvi just sent spam mail to TR.N? I know the times are economically tough, but I had no idea they're tough enough to make 'em consider this kind of enterprise, no matter how superior when compared to its usual third world counterparts.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Nope, it was someone completely unrelated, hoping I would replace the link with theirs. Very well researched except for the ruse, had me going for a while.

Finn

Staff member
Yeah, figured as much. I have hard time believing Finnish municipality officials would resort to setting up spam servers, no matter how strapped for cash.