Häagen-Dazs Appreciation Thread

Dear god, Häagen-Dazs makes great flippin' ice cream.

If ever I have unused meals at the end of the week (I live on campus) I usually use them to buy Häagen-Dazs cartons as they're extremely expensive and I don't buy them otherwise.

But man, they really do make the best Ice Cream. So far I've tried...

Coffee
Vanilla
Strawberry
Caramelized Pear & Toasted Pecan

Having the pear right now and I'm blown away by how delicious this is. Though I'd say my favorite would be either Strawberry or Coffee.

Anyway, who else loves their Häagen-Dazs? What flavors should I go for next (providing the campus store has them...)?

|ZiR|

Duuude, Häagen-Dazs is the nectar of the GODS. Though I don't buy it that much anymore because with me a carton is a single serving; I've been known to eat one in a sitting.

I think the best flavors (that you haven't already listed) are Mocha Almond Fudge, Crème Brûlée, Cherry Vanilla, and plain ol' chocolate. A lot of people I know prefer Ben & Jerry's to Häagen-Dazs. Well!

B&J's is great for crazy combinations, I say. And for naming their flavors after celebrities. But when it comes to the quality of the ice cream itself, there's no contest.

Man, now I'm craving some. :<

|ZiR| said:
Duuude, Häagen-Dazs is the nectar of the GODS. Though I don't buy it that much anymore because with me a carton is a single serving; I've been known to eat one in a sitting.

I think the best flavors (that you haven't already listed) are Mocha Almond Fudge, Crème Brûlée, Cherry Vanilla, and plain ol' chocolate. A lot of people I know prefer Ben & Jerry's to Häagen-Dazs. Well!

B&J's is great for crazy combinations, I say. And for naming their flavors after celebrities. But when it comes to the quality of the ice cream itself, there's no contest.

Man, now I'm craving some. :<

Come on over; got a carton of Coffee in the freezer we could split. :p

Mmm, definitely gonna keep my eyes peeled for the Cherry Vanilla.

Last time I was in there they had Green Tea and Rum Raisin. I'm not much for Rum flavor so I passed on the latter... but Green Tea intrigues me.

roundshort

too funny, one of my best friends father "creadted: the vanillia flavor they use. We have a ton of it and use it in all kinds of things. Glad to see others like it!

metalinvader

ResidentAlien said:
Last time I was in there they had Green Tea and Rum Raisin. I'm not much for Rum flavor so I passed on the latter... but Green Tea intrigues me.

Green tea ice cream is freakin' amazing.I've only had it once at some sushi place.After that I couldn't find it since.Glad to know that Häagen-Dazs makes it.

|ZiR|

ResidentAlien said:

I don't like Green Tea flavor. It's too heavy, creamy, and sweet. I was expecting something light and refreshing -- something more along the lines of a sorbet. To each their own. Definitely give it a go.

metalinvader said:
Green tea ice cream is freakin' amazing.I've only had it once at some sushi place.After that I couldn't find it since.Glad to know that Häagen-Dazs makes it.

They have it at Wal-Marts here in NM. And while I hate the place, I gotta admit that they have a wide selection of newer products.

Joe Brody

My favorite Häagen-Dazs memories stem from the summer of '96. I was doing an internship in lower Manhattan and for lunch the other interns and I would head into Chinatown for some good Thai or Vietnamese (go figure). My dessert? A thick Häagen-Dazs chocolate shake. Fantastic.

Over the years, the New Yorker has run a couple of good articles on the venture. I can't find the article, but my recollection is that back in the day, the Häagen-Dazs founders couldn't get slotting in the major grocery chains. This was when there was a major race to the bottom in the ice cream biz. It was all about putting the biggest tub of ice cream on the shelves in the cheapest way possible. The consequence of the race: the air content in grocery store ice cream was going up and up and the quality was going down, down. So the H-D founders moved in a different direction -- they made their ice cream super dense and high quality and sold in small sizes. None of the traditional ice cream producers saw the small H-D containers as a threat and it got shelved. They put a fancy made-up name on the package -- and the rest is history.