Sapito vs. Satipo

Crack that whip

Tangentially...

Stoo said:
Besides, wouldn't you agree that the percentage of people leaving the
theatre when any film credits start to roll is pretty high?

Yes, but those people are heathens, and not to be paid attention to. :p ;)

Nurhachi1991

I still think Indy said " Adios Estupido"

It makes sense because Indy told Satipo not to step in the light and he did anyway so why not call him stupid right before he makes his famous boulder run.

deckard24

Nurhachi1991 said:
I still think Indy said " Adios Estupido"

It makes sense because Indy told Satipo not to step in the light and he did anyway so why not call him stupid right before he makes his famous boulder run.
That's what I always thought he said until years later! I like that better then "Satipo" or "Sapito"!

Nurhachi1991

deckard24 said:
That's what I always thought he said until years later! I like that better then "Satipo" or "Sapito"!

Finally someone else heard it to I thought I was crazy! I know I thought that would of been a better line because Indy would of added insult to injury.......... Literally

Kooshmeister

Luisiana Jones said:
I have the novel in spanish and it says both times Satipo, first when introducing the character and secondly when saying Adios Satipo ;)

I recently got the English version of the novel republished, and it also gives his name as "Satipo," including the "Adios, Satipo" line.

MaxPhactor23

Who cares. Consider it like "tomayto" and "tomahto". I totally say Sapito because of the name being spoken aloud. It's just stuck in my head. Even when I read Satipo...I still read/hear Sapito in my mind.

davros72

I can't for the life of me think of what it was, but I swear there's another movie (possibly another Indy but I'm not sure, maybe a SW film?) where Harrison flips around two letters to call someone a different name than what the character is "officially" called. Dangit, what was it? Anyone know what the heck I'm talking about?

The Man

davros72 said:
I can't for the life of me think of what it was, but I swear there's another movie (possibly another Indy but I'm not sure, maybe a SW film?) where Harrison flips around two letters to call someone a different name than what the character is "officially" called. Dangit, what was it? Anyone know what the heck I'm talking about?

I remember reading about a Boba Fett gaffe in the original version of The Empire Strikes Back. When loading Han into Slave 1 he says something like, " Put Solo in the hargo cold..."

davros72

The Man said:
I remember reading about a Boba Fett gaffe in the original version of The Empire Strikes Back. When loading Han into Slave 1 he says something like, " Put Solo in the hargo cold..."
"Put Captain Cargo in the Solo hold" I think. D'oh!

Sapito V's Satipo

Seconds out! Round One!

Sapito delivers a knockout blow to Satipo's jaw, sending Satipo's gumshield flying toward his manager. " Throw me the gumshield!" blurts Satipo, before passing out in acceptance that his name is Sapito.

The final bell rings and Sapito dances around in victory before backing into some spikes.

Sorcerer009

Harrison Ford simply flubbed his line...that's all! He has said in interviews before that he's a bit dyslexic...so I chalk it up to that.

TheMutt92

Sorcerer009 said:
Harrison Ford simply flubbed his line...that's all! He has said in interviews before that he's a bit dyslexic...so I chalk it up to that.

That would explain 'libary' then. But I think thats already been discussed.

Raider S

He said SAPITO. He has said it that way ever since I saw the movie as a kid. All my friends thought it was Sapito, too.

Here's the reason: Ford simply made a mistake and said Sapito instead of Satipo or rehearsed to say Satipo beacause when they worked on the dialogue that's the way it came out. It would be easy to say the wrong thing when reading from a script.

It's a minor thing and when making the movie nobody would have noticed or even cared if they did notice. The character was only called in name once so why spend the money to redub the line to fix something so unnecessary.

Indyman4

Luisiana Jones said:
Or maybe he was meant to say sapito to show the audience that the relationship between those guys wasnt a big one, that they knew themselves for such a short time that they didnt even remember well their own names ;)

That's a good idea, but you have to realize that no one knows what his name is supposed to be until Indy says it, whether it be wrong or not. No one calls him "Satipo" at all before Indy does. Sooo...

muttjones

why does it matter?

i saw the title of this thread as satipo vs. satipo and i was wondering whether he fought himself or something?

Luke Skywalker

In the Castillian Spanish version he says stupid (in Spanish) too.

BTW, Sapito means in Spanish a diminutive of Sapo, which means toad.

So as a name-nickname 'Toady' serves very well the character. Slimy traitor

On the other hand, Satipo is a region of Perú.

The Man

Niteshade007 said:
With English subtitles, it says "Satipo." What everyone hears though Sapito. Ford flubbed. How has this gone on for so many pages?

Some answers are just too simple...(y)