Ray Winstone's character

Finn

Staff member
Winstone is seemingly this film's Sallah-type character, Indy's local associate. And judging by those lines, he's an old friend to him, not someone he's freshly met. Fits the formula.

In all the previous films Indy's had a trusted friend who is always willing to help him once he arrives to those parts. In Middle East, it's Sallah. Far East, it was Wu Han. And in South America it looks like it's this Mac.

Echo22

Hey man, don't froget Remy!

coutteure.jpg

....Indy's Belgian contact?
;)

I wonder if they'll keep Winstone's British accent or if his character is actually American or French, etc. I think his attire gives him a British or French look.

OldIndy2323

flashback in Indy 4?

The interview said that they were using CG to show the characters "from 17 to 70". Does this mean that, as in one of the earlier unused scripts ("Sons of Darkness" maybe?) that they're going to flashback, or start the movie with a flashback, to the fatefull 1926 summer where 27 year old Indy breaks 16 year old Marion's heart? If that's the case, and Ray is involved, then possibly he's another of Abner Ravenwood's students, the "good friend" to Marion who holds a secret crush on her, helps her pick up the pieces in '26 and ends up spending his whole life helping her out; even acting as a surrogate father to her son.

Finn

Staff member
Bullwhip said:
The CGI aging is in reference to the upcoming Beowulf flick, not Indy 4.
Which has been stated in this thread several times already...

Another silly little thing that has been going on in my head since I pointed out the similarities between the Mac character and Indy's other local associates is that if he really is an old friend, maybe this name "Mac" that's been given to him is another smokescreen and it's actually "Jock"?

Just a wild idea, nothing more...

Last edited:

Niteshade007

Finn said:
Another silly little thing that has been going on in my head since I pointed out the similarities between the Mac character and Indy's other local associates is that if he really is an old friend, maybe this name "Mac" that's been given to him is another smokescreen and it's actually "Jock"?

That would be cool, and if the film does take place in South America, it would make sense. But judging by Winstone's costume, he seems like he's definitely along for the adventure, whereas Jock seemed more just like the getaway vehicle. It would be cool to see Jock again maybe in a cameo. Have him flying the plane that Indy is in or something. However, then it may become a little too nostalgic and too "Raiders 2"

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I hope Winstone plays Jock. That would make him the South American sidekick, like Sallah for the Middle East and Earl Weber for Asia.

oki9Sedo

Finn said:
Which has been stated in this thread several times already...

Or perhaps he's just playing a new sidekick called Mac. (y)

Seriously, Ray Winstone looks nothing like the guy who played Jock.

Finn

Staff member
oki9Sedo said:
Or perhaps he's just playing a new sidekick called Mac. (y)
Likely.

oki9Sedo said:
Seriously, Ray Winstone looks nothing like the guy who played Jock.
Keep in mind the character would be two decades older than he was in Raiders.

Niteshade007

Dr.Sartorius said:
Ray Winstone is not playing Jock.

IndyFan89 said:
He is playing "Mac"

No one said he was playing Jock, and yes, we have all heard that his character's name is Mac. Finn merely brought it up as a "what if," and then others replied to that. It would be interesting to see Jock again, but I don't think people are actually believing that he will be Jock.

Dr. Gonzo

I kinda dig the fact that Mr. Winstone is the new sidekick. He is kinda like a british Sallah. Although Im sad to see john rhys davies not in, I also think its a wise choice to mix it up so as to not make this another Raiders or last crusade... and I mean character, what with the inclusion of marion and all.
I'm digging Winstone

Sallah wouldn't be a very good ally in this movie if it doesn't take place in the Middle East. He would be faithful, but his territorial knowledge and unique skills would not be the right match. I'm sure Whinstone is fulfilling a similar role.