Six Indy IV titles registered with MPAA

Lon

I wouldn't analyze that Spielberg thing too much. That was a live feed and I think he was just joking around and mouthed gibberish knowing that the title was still secret. He doesn't say the title.

Lon said:
I wouldn't analyze that Spielberg thing too much. That was a live feed and I think he was just joking around and mouthed gibberish knowing that the title was still secret. He doesn't say the title.

Yes... I've thought that too... but you never know.

And for the record, the only title of that lot that remotely appears to fit his mouthing is "Quest for the Covenant"

...ugh. Lol. I hate that one.

sarah navarro

I like Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skulls:whip:
im soo excited!
I dont like the quest for the covenent , or lost city of gold.I highly doubt that Spielberg would mouth the words.What if someone hired a lip reader?I'll check this out for myself.

a while later...sorry i just didnt see it although the video i have of it isnt very clear.

Last edited:

chapter11

OK, I could live with Indiana Jones and the City of the Gods. The rest.... not so much -- although they're all better than Rambo 4: Pearl of the Cobra. (y)

No Ticket

I've come to realize that I probably would have thought titles like "Temple of Doom" and "Empire Strikes Back" were cheesy... so titles like Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace aren't really any different. I think you just have gotten used to all the old names and are immediately picky. Which is why the Star Wars prequels met with such a tough audience.

I really like "Destroyer of Worlds," "City of the Gods" and "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

If those are real.

Suzerain

No Ticket said:
If those are real.

Which I am having a real hard time verifying. Can anyone help? I was able to verify that there is indeed a Title Registration Bureau with the MPAA, but nothing about any reports. The website linked appears to have a copy of a page from that report. But where do we get a copy of that report, if it exists?

How can we tell if they are real titles?

sarah navarro said:
I like Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skulls:whip:
im soo excited!
I dont like the quest for the covenent , or lost city of gold.I highly doubt that Spielberg would mouth the words.What if someone hired a lip reader?I'll check this out for myself.

a while later...sorry i just didnt see it although the video i have of it isnt very clear.

Senor Spielbergo doesnt actually mouth any specific words - its so that George Lucas can go back later and digitally change it when they decide on the sh*ttest title possible.

I see 'Indiana Jones And The Quest For The Covenant' myself - not only is it totally lame but it conjures up the mental picture of Harrison Ford's lawyers sitting in a room wanking themselves silly over a big pot of money. Who wouldnt pay to see that?

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Is this the same source that made up the "John Hurt plays Albert Einstein" thing a couple of weeks ago?
Or is it the one that insisted on the fact that John Hurt had replaced Sean Connery?

Actually some of these titles don't sound that unlikely.
But I just can't shake off the feeling that this would be the first single handedly established Indy IV to come from slashfilm...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
All of them sound like bogus. I think Quest for the Covenant is most likely out of the lot. Lost City of Gold I can assure is bogus. Why? The 80s version of "King Solomon's Mines" starring Richard Chamberlain and Sharon Stone had a sequel called "Allan Quartermain and the Lost City of Gold." A tribute to that perhaps as Stone was a potential Willie Scott when they were doing pre-production on ToD.

Nah, he's just flapping his lips. I watched a pretty good resolution version over at the Official Site and he looked like a goldfish so he didn't mouth it. I've watched a couple of times, so definitely not.

Zorg

Very interesting indeed and a great find, Lon!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, City of Gods sounds the most Indyesque of those titles. Quest for the Covenant is pretty nice too.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
This is what happens after an allegedly long period of no news: Sites make some news up and folks actually BELIEVE it...

BTW: the word "scoop" is missing in the last sentence of my post above.

A_True_Believer

Assuming for a moment that these registrations are real, and that the final title will definitely be one of these six, I think "City of Gods" is still the only reasonable choice. Here's my take:

1. Past IJ titles have a certain "flow" to them (ignoring, for a moment, the renaming of "Raiders" in the DVD set). They're short, and sort of roll of the tongue, so I think that counts out the longer titles like "Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls" and "Fourth Corner of the Earth".

2. "Lost City of Gold" is too generic, and as others have said it conjures up disturbing images of that wretched Alan Quartermain film.

3. "Quest for the Covenant" is there, I think, because of all the rumors going around about the Ark returning. It also makes the film sound like a "Raiders" rehash, which wouldn't be good for marketing. I would think they'd want the title to refer to something new and mysterious.

4. "Destroyer of Worlds" is too dark. I think the concept of family is going to be one of the focuses of the film, and the tone will likely be lighter, like Last Crusade. If that's the case, this title wouldn't fit with that approach.

5. "City of Gods" has that "flow" I mentioned earlier. It also refers to something new, but is ambiguous enough to keep you wondering about what that is. Plus, it mirrors "Temple of Doom" in style, which helps it to fit in with the rest of the series.

These are just my opinions, of course. The real answer will probably turn out to be "none of the above". ;)

chapter11

No Ticket said:
I've come to realize that I probably would have thought titles like "Temple of Doom" and "Empire Strikes Back" were cheesy...

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing to myself the other day. Temple of Doom? If I hadn't been a nine-year-old boy I probably would have hated that. Except I was a nine-year-old boy and I LOVED it. (y)

No Ticket said:
I really like "Destroyer of Worlds," "City of the Gods" and "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

Destroyer of Worlds has a ring to it, but I think it sounds too a) too scifi, and b) too much like Galactus from Fantastic Four. (Although I suppose he's technically the devourer of worlds.)

Still like City of the Gods the best. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is growing on me, but it doesn't flow as nicely.

Garrett

Zorg said:
Very interesting indeed and a great find, Lon!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, City of Gods sounds the most Indyesque of those titles. Quest for the Covenant is pretty nice too.

those would be my picks too.

HovitosKing

A_True_Believer said:
Assuming for a moment that these registrations are real, and that the final title will definitely be one of these six, I think "City of Gods" is still the only reasonable choice. Here's my take:

1. Past IJ titles have a certain "flow" to them (ignoring, for a moment, the renaming of "Raiders" in the DVD set). They're short, and sort of roll of the tongue, so I think that counts out the longer titles like "Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls" and "Fourth Corner of the Earth".

2. "Lost City of Gold" is too generic, and as others have said it conjures up disturbing images of that wretched Alan Quartermain film.

3. "Quest for the Covenant" is there, I think, because of all the rumors going around about the Ark returning. It also makes the film sound like a "Raiders" rehash, which wouldn't be good for marketing. I would think they'd want the title to refer to something new and mysterious.

4. "Destroyer of Worlds" is too dark. I think the concept of family is going to be one of the focuses of the film, and the tone will likely be lighter, like Last Crusade. If that's the case, this title wouldn't fit with that approach.

5. "City of Gods" has that "flow" I mentioned earlier. It also refers to something new, but is ambiguous enough to keep you wondering about what that is. Plus, it mirrors "Temple of Doom" in style, which helps it to fit in with the rest of the series.

These are just my opinions, of course. The real answer will probably turn out to be "none of the above". ;)

Exactly what I was thinking, for each one. Spot on.

oki9Sedo said:
They're all a bit crap, to be honest. I doubt any of this is real.

Agreed.