Trilogy on Blu-Ray

JediJones

Crack that whip said:
I figured not, but having just gotten back from IMAX Raiders viewing #8 :D , I have to say the bottom ones really do appear to me more like what I've been seeing this past week at my local AMC

The AMC non-IMAX ROTLA I saw looked a lot darker to me in many of the jungle shots and other shots with shadows than the R/C IMAX ROTLA did. Just from that impression I would say the brighter images in those screencaps look more like the IMAX version.

JediJones

Read this on a blog about the UK set. Not sure if it's accurate.

"Although the set is region free, reports indicate that many of the special features are in standard definition PAL format. Which means people without region free players will be able to watch the movies, but not all of the special features. "

http://cinemaraiders.blogspot.com/

borntorun97

JediJones said:
Read this on a blog about the UK set. Not sure if it's accurate.

"Although the set is region free, reports indicate that many of the special features are in standard definition PAL format. Which means people without region free players will be able to watch the movies, but not all of the special features. "

http://cinemaraiders.blogspot.com/

It would be nice if they listed examples of those "reports"

Montana Smith

Blu-ray Disc review by Adam Jahnke and Bill Hunt of The Digital Bits

Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures
1981-2008 (2012) - Lucasfilm (Paramount)
Released on Blu-ray Disc on September 18th, 2012
Films previously available on DVD

Film Ratings: See Below
Disc Ratings: See Below
Extras: B

The Lucasfilm empire is built upon two rock-solid foundations: Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Both became phenomenally popular beyond even their creators' wildest dreams, inspiring books, comics, toys, games and television programming. But while Star Wars is, more or less, the sole vision of George Lucas, credit for the Indiana Jones series is spread equally between Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford (not to mention such key collaborators as John Williams, Dennis Muren and Ben Burtt).

Given the, shall we say, mixed reception of last year's Blu-ray release of the Star Wars saga, fans have been awaiting the high-def debut of Indy with equal parts anticipation and nervousness. How will the movies look? Will all of the extras be ported over from the DVDs? Will Toht's screams at the end of Raiders be replaced with, "NOOOOOOO!"

Once again, this set probably will not please everyone. However, the good news far outweighs the bad. First off, these are the original movies the way you remember them, with no new digital effects, sound elements or replacement title cards. Let's take a look at the set disc by disc, with Dr. Jahnke discussing the movies themselves and Professor Hunt examining the discs and extras.

Disc One - Raiders of the Lost Ark

Yeah, forget all that extraneous "Indiana Jones and the" nonsense. Despite what it may say on the packaging, this was, is and always shall be simply Raiders of the Lost Ark. Even if you were around back in 1981, it may be hard to remember just what an out-of-nowhere blast of awesomeness Raiders was at the time. It had an ambiguous title, a period setting and a star who was a hero to many of us but hadn't yet demonstrated that he could carry a movie where he wasn't playing Han Solo.

But by the end of the breathless opening sequence, audiences were hooked. The beginning of the movie actually serves two purposes. First, it sets the bar high for the level of action and adventure you can expect for the rest of the movie. But it also tells you pretty much everything you need to know about Indiana Jones, whether you realize it or not. We'd never heard of this character before but by the time Indy climbs aboard that seaplane, we felt like we'd been watching Harrison Ford explore tombs and temples our entire lives.

It's important to remember that Raiders isn't just The Harrison Ford Power Hour. The supporting characters, including Karen Allen's strong, independent Marion and John Rhys-Davies' resourceful Sallah, are more than capable of keeping up with Indy. And the bad guys, as played by Paul Freeman and Ronald Lacey, are as bad as they come. I've always felt that one of the main reasons the other films in the series don't quite measure up to the original is that none of the villains are as vivid or menacing as Belloq and Toht.

First and foremost, Raiders is simply great fun, a wild ride of a movie. The reason it holds up and you want to take the ride again and again is you grow to love these characters. The secret to the movie's success isn't the breathtaking stunts or face-melting effects or even John Williams' instantly iconic score. It's simply Indy's crooked little smile and two words: "Trust me."

Film Rating: A
Disc Ratings (Video/Audio): A-/A

Disc Two - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Indiana Jones returned three years later and, for reasons I've never fully understood, one year prior to the events in Raiders. But this time, all the pieces of the puzzle didn't quite click into place. The hand-wringing over the violence in this and the same year's Gremlins helped usher in the PG-13 rating. But in retrospect, the darker tone is one of the best things about Temple of Doom.

The movie gets off to a good start with a production number and elaborate fight sequence in Shanghai's Club Obi Wan (cute). But unlike Raiders, which has a very clear-cut goal and is told with laser-like precision, the set-up to Temple is extremely muddled. Indy is asked to retrieve one of the sacred Sankara stones, stolen from a village by Mola Ram (Amrish Puri), leader of a Thuggee cult. He's also abducted the village's children but that seems to be less important than getting the stone back.

We don't even get to the Temple or Mola Ram until about an hour into the picture. Until then, we're forced to deal with nightclub singer Willie Scott (Kate Capshaw), a useless scream factory more worried about her nails than anything else, and Short Round (Ke Huy Quan), that irrepressible Shanghai street urchin. These characters are almost impossibly irritating, especially when compared to Indy's support team last time. Shorty at least proves himself useful by the end of the movie. Willie, on the other hand, goes from mildly annoying to actively obnoxious.

Despite its convoluted story and less-than-endearing characters, Temple of Doom does deliver in its second hour. It's a dark, dangerous world but Indy navigates his way through it with his usual aplomb. Temple of Doom is probably the closest we'll ever get to a cult Indiana Jones movie. It requires you to pick and choose its best moments and try your best to ignore its shortcomings.

Film Rating: B-
Disc Ratings (Video/Audio): A-/A

Disc Three - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

There are those who feel that Last Crusade is almost as good as, if not better than, Raiders. I am not one of them. I view the movie more kindly now than I did back in 1989. I originally saw it as part of a double feature with Star Trek V, which admittedly poisoned my opinion of the entire evening. Watching it again, I found it had more strengths than weaknesses.

This time out, the new additions to the cast benefit the movie instead of weighing it down. Casting Sean Connery as Henry Jones was an inspired coup and River Phoenix proved to be an unexpectedly perfect young Indy in the entertaining prologue. The plot gets back to basics with a simple, easily understood goal: the Holy Grail. Even our old reliable bad guys, the Nazis, are back, although main villain Julian Glover is a bit bland compared to the Raiders baddies.

But while the movie gets a lot right, it's not without its flaws. Things occasionally cross the line separating silly fun and just plain silly. As much as I love Denholm Elliott, the film's biggest misstep may have been giving his Marcus Brody an expanded role in the action. The second he steps off campus, he turns into your wacky doddering old grandfather. Everyone would have been better off if Indy had suggested Marcus wait back at the hotel until things were taken care of.

Raiders was a well-oiled machine, a near-flawless example of the adventure movie. Last Crusade stutters a bit but never completely stalls out. It's an engaging return and its expansion of Indy's personal history adds an element that makes it a notch more interesting than your run-of-the-mill sequel.

Film Rating: B
Disc Ratings (Video/Audio): A/A

Disc Four - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

And then there's this. Anticipation ran high when Spielberg, Lucas and Ford reteamed for the fourth Indy adventure. Personally, I was skeptical. It had been nearly 20 years since Last Crusade and you can count on one hand the number of successful sequels that arrive that long after the fact. But with the long-awaited return of Karen Allen as Marion, maybe this would buck the odds and be Indy's victory lap.

It didn't. Even at my most critical, the one thing I always said about the Indiana Jones movies is at least they all start off well. This one sends up warning signs within its first minute with its goofy CGI prairie dog schtick. While Raiders had you firmly under its spell by the end of its opening sequence, Crystal Skull has you checking the disc to make sure that you've actually got an Indiana Jones movie and not a direct-to-video Mummy sequel.

Apart from a few die-hards, the movie was almost universally seen as a major disappointment at best. No doubt you've already seen the movie and know what side of the debate you're on. You might be considering giving it another chance, thinking maybe it isn't as bad as you remember. Let me assure you, your first instincts were correct. It really is that bad. No one involved appears to have brought their A-game to the project, making the movie feel more like Indiana Jones and the Contractual Obligation.

Even if you're one of the few who kind of enjoyed Crystal Skull (and if you are, I'm genuinely happy for you. I wish I had.), this is nobody's favorite Indiana Jones adventure. I guarantee that this is the disc you will play the least out of this set.

Film Rating: D
Disc Ratings (Video/Audio): A/A

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bdreviews091712.html

Montana Smith

Notes on A/V Quality

The video quality on especially Discs One, Two and Three is comparable across all three installments. Of the three, Raiders in particular has been given a new 4K transfer and extensive restoration. Probably the best thing that can be said for each is that the visual presentations are pleasingly and richly cinematic. Grain is moderate and seldom excessive, but its presence insures that the films retain their period look. Detail is excellent on the whole, although especially the first film is occasionally a little bit uneven - here and there you'll see a shot that's slightly softer that those around it. It's not due to problems with the transfer or mastering, but actual photographic issues related to the "down and dirty" nature of the location production. Colors are pleasing and generally accurate, though very occasionally appear a little desaturated. All of the first three films have been extensively restored so their color timing will vary somewhat from the previous DVD presentations. Contrast also varies a little bit, with blacks occasionally appearing a little crushed, but again on the whole the presentations are quite pleasing. There's no doubt that these films look better here than ever before on disc. The fourth film (Disc Four) is the newest and most even looking of the bunch, with neigh perfect contrast, flawlessly textured detail and a deep, warm looking color palate.

The DTS HD 5.1 Master Audio mixes on each of these films are extremely satisfying. Overall fidelity is excellent. Dialogue reproduction is clear, surround channel use is lively and enveloping, the staging is smooth and natural at all times with plenty of deep, full bass. Sound cues both subtle and thunderous envelop and immerse you in the action throughout. John William's brilliant musical scores have seldom sounded so good.

Disc Five - Extras

If there's any area in which this set somewhat disappoints, it's strangely here in the special features. Each film disc includes that particular entry's teaser and theatrical trailers in HD. All of the trailers that were on the original 2003 The Adventures of Indiana Jones DVD box set are included here with the exception of one and it's a bad one to leave out - one of the classic "If adventure has a name?" trailers for Temple of Doom (to be specific, this one). Why it's missing here is a mystery, though the Blu-ray does include two additional trailers for the film that weren't on the DVDs.

The rest of the extras are on Disc Five, and they include all 7 featurettes that were on the 2003 DVD set (The Light and Magic of Indiana Jones, The Sound of Indiana Jones, The Stunts of Indiana Jones, The Music of Indiana Jones, Making the Trilogy: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Making the Trilogy: Temple of Doom and Making the Trilogy: The Last Crusade) - basically everything else that was on the 2003 DVDs except the videogame trailers. Unfortunately, you don't get the Raiders of the Lost Ark Classic Featurette from the 2003 set's Best Buy exclusive bonus disc.

From the 2008 Indiana Jones: The Adventure Collection DVDs, you get 5 more featurettes (Raiders: The Melting Face, Indiana Jones and the Creepy Crawlies, Travel with Indiana Jones: Locations, Indy's Women: The American Film Institute Tribute and Indy's Friends and Enemies). But a lot more content from those DVDs is missing entirely, including 7 featurettes (Raiders: An Introduction, Temple of Doom: An Introduction, Last Crusade: An Introduction, Indiana Jones: An Appreciation - Indy IV Looks Back at the Original Trilogy, Storyboards: The Well of Souls, Storyboards: The Mine Cart Chase and Storyboards: The Opening Sequence) plus all the image galleries from each disc (Illustrations & Props, Production Photographs & Portraits, Effects/ILM and Marketing). Again, the videogame trailers are missing, though that's not much of a loss.

From the 2-disc, 2008 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Blu-ray, you get 3 featurettes (Iconic Props, The Effects of Indy and Adventures in Post Production). Missing entirely are 5 more (Pre-Production, The Return of a Legend, Warrior Makeup, The Crystal Skulls and Closing: Team Indy), plus the interactive Timelines, all three of Pre-Visualization Sequences, at least one trailer and extensive galleries of production photos, portraits and artwork. Sadly, while the original Crystal Skull Blu-ray included a feature-length Production Diary: Making Kingdom of the Crystal Skull documentary, only a much shortened version appears in this new set under the title Making the Trilogy: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Disappointed yet? Us too. Fortunately, Lucasfilm does help soften the loss of all the other great material by adding a couple items that are completely new. The first is a vintage 1981 Making Raiders of the Lost Ark featurette that's never been released on disc before. The second - and by far the best extra included on this Blu-ray set - is Laurent Bouzereau's new 2-part On Set with Raiders of the Lost Ark documentary. It runs about an hour and comes in two parts - From Jungle to Desert and From Adventure to Legend. It's in full HD and is essentially composed of 16mm film footage shot on the set during the making of the original film, interspersed with abundant 35mm outtakes and deleted scenes from the film. It's a pure viewing delight. Essentially, you're a fly on the wall during all the critical moments of filming on the set, watching Spielberg, Ford, Allen and many others hard at work, having a good time and just basically at the top of their game. There are many antic moments to see here and the deleted scenes are extremely cool, including one that reveals (at long last) how Indy survived riding on the outside of that German U-boat across thousands of miles of ocean. Sure, it's implausible (which is probably why it was cut) but it's also pretty funny. For fans of these films, the material included in On Set is absolutely priceless.

So a lot of good extras here were carried over from the previous DVD releases, but even more were left out and a bit of great new material was added. If you want to keep everything - all the special features that have been created for the Indy films, you unfortunately can't sell your 2008 DVD set and you can't sell your previous 2-disc Crystal Skull Blu-ray either. As long as you don't mind losing that Temple of Doom teaser trailer, you can safely get rid of your 2003 DVD set. But given the iconic nature of that trailer, I suspect a lot of you will have trouble letting that go too. The shame is that with the addition of just one extra disc, ALL of the missing material could have been retained here. Points added for the cool new material, but major points lost for the missing content.

Extras (Overall): B

In the end, you'd have to say that the new Blu-ray box was worth the wait. The opportunity to see the older Indy adventures in HD at long last certainly justifies the upgrade price and the new Bouzereau doc clinches the deal. But there's no doubt that the omitted material is very much missed.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bdreviews091712.html

Montana Smith

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6631/complete_indiana_jones.html

The Blu-ray: Vital Disc Stats

Paramount Home Entertainment brings 'Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures' to Blu-ray in a handsome and sturdy five-disc box set. The package is shaped and opens much like a book with each page showing new artwork and pictures for each adventure. Those same pages also serve as sleeves for each disc which slide out by placing some slight pressure to the top and bottom, widening the mouth only a little. The inside is smooth and glossy to prevent the discs from scratching.

All four films are contained on separate Region Free, BD50 discs and found inside one of the pages, respective of their order within the franchise. The fifth disc is also a Region Free, BD50 and contains all the special features. The book comes with a side-sliding slipcover made of a hard cardboard material with glossy artwork and lightly embossed. At startup, each disc goes straight to an animated menu screen with full-motion clips and music playing in the background.

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Coming from a new 4K scan of the original camera negatives, this 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 encode (2.35:1) looks every bit its age but it's still fantastic. With a beautiful cinematic appeal that brings back memories of seeing it in theaters, the image comes with a nice layer of film grain throughout but tends to come off a bit heavier in some spots. Black levels are rich and true, providing some appreciable depth. Contrast is comfortably bright and vivid, allowing for clean, crisp visibility of the background information. The colors are mostly accurate and bold, but many scenes can look somewhat lackluster. The swastika flags in the second half of the movie, in particular, are more of an orange than the intense red we'd normally expect. The image is also terrifically detailed with distinct lines and textures in clothing, buildings and the faces of the cast, especially in close-up. Several sequences, however, appear quite blurry and soft, but that's due to age, film stock, and photography. In the end, 'Raiders' looks fantastic! (Video Rating: 4/5)

The Temple of Doom

The AVC-encoded transfer of the prequel arrives in similar fashion to the first, if only slightly better because the original elements were probably better preserved. Resolution wavers slightly, much of it the result of age causing several blurry scenes, although the overall picture quality is in excellent condition with a consistent ultra-fine layer of grain. The worst moments are during special effects sequences with matte paintings. Presented in its original 2.35:1 aspect ratio, definition is especially sharp and detailed in daylight exteriors while poorly-lit interiors maintain strong shadow delineation. Contrast and brightness are terrifically well-balanced with deep, accurate blacks and great visibility of background info. Colors are cleanly rendered with primaries looking particularly vibrant in the last few minutes. (Video Rating: 4/5)

The Last Crusade

Being the last entry in the original trilogy, the third installment rides onto Blu-ray with the best presentation of the first three. Aside from some negligible, age-related softness, this spectacular 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 encode (2.35:1) displays a thinly-layered film grain and cleanly defined lines in clothing, buildings and surrounding foliage. Facial complexions appear natural with rich, lifelike textures, exposing every pore, wrinkle and trivial blemish. Contrast is quite vivid but very well-balanced with crisp, brilliant whites. Colors are bright and animated while blacks are often inky rich and penetrating, save for a couple poorly-lit interiors. Shadow details are plainly visible in the darkest portions, and the overall image has an appreciable cinematic appeal with good dimensionality. (Video Rating: 4.5/5)

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

The fourth movie is the identical AVC-encoded transfer (2.35:1) of the 2008 release, and it remains a fantastic presentation. Janusz Kaminski's cinematography displays a deliberately over-saturated palette with intensely vivid primaries, giving flesh tones a slightly sunburnt look. Facial complexions still appear healthy and revealing. Contrast and brightness are exceptionally well-balanced with crisp whites and rich black levels, providing the image with great dimensionality and an appreciable cinematic appeal. Definition is fairly sharp and highly detailed, but the finer lines in background objects tend to look a bit blurry, likely due to the original photography. It's an excellent video nonetheless. (Video Rating: 4.5/5)

The Audio: Rating the Sound

Raiders of the Lost Ark

According to some news sources, this DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack was made from the original mono design and the results are excellent. Much of the action remains in the front, where the soundstage feels expansive and full of warmth. With outstanding, fluid channel separation, the mid-range is surprisingly extensive with rich, detailed clarity of the various noises, delivering lots of discrete off-screen sounds. Williams' iconic score, especially, is fulfilling with distinct instrumentation, spreading into the rears to create a satisfyingly immersive soundfield. The low-end is deep and appropriate for a thirty-year-old track. Atmospherics are occasionally employed in the surrounds and are quite effective for broadening the soundscape. Only minor point of complaint is that loud action sequences and the music seem louder than vocals, almost drowning out certain bits of dialogue. It doesn't completely ruin the film's enjoyment, but it's definitely worth noting and makes it short of perfection. (Audio Rating: 4/5)

The Temple of Doom

The second installment whips up a highly-enjoyable DTS-HD MA soundtrack that's terrifically engaging and loads of fun. The front-heavy presentation seems fairly faithful to the original design, except for the random discrete effect in the surrounds meant for ambience. Along with williams' music lightly bleeding into the rears, such activity is pleasant and quite satisfying because it never feels exaggerated or forced. Dialogue is pitch-perfect and clear in the center while the rest of the soundstage exhibits a welcoming and broad image that's consistently active. Dynamics deliver precise clarity in the orchestration and the several action sequences with some impressive echoing which enhance the soundfield. Bass is hearty and plentiful with a couple low moments that are nice. (Audio Rating: 4/5)

The Last Crusade

Much like the video, the DTS-HD MA soundtrack is also the better of the first three films, with a rear activity that's a bit more consistent. Action sequences display excellent, flawless panning between channels while subtle ambient effects during the quieter scenes maintain a satisfyingly immersive soundfield. As always, Williams' classic motifs spread throughout the system to keep the listener engaged and in the middle of the moment. The mid-range is clean and distinct with superb separation and clarity in the upper frequencies. Low bass is like the other two mixes with a deep response that's appropriate to the movie's age while providing great depth to gunshots, explosions and canon fire. Vocals are precise and intelligible, even during the loudest segments. (Audio Rating: 4/5)

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

The new DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack doesn't sound all that different than its Dolby TrueHD counterpart. The low-end, perhaps, feels a little deeper and throatier, providing the design with some impressive depth, but otherwise, this lossless mix is identical to the 2008 Blu-ray. A broad and expansive soundstage exhibits excellent dynamic range with crystal-clear clarity and convincing off-screen activity. Dialogue is distinct and intelligible from beginning to end, and John Williams' memorable score spreads into the back with terrific fidelity and envelopment. Directionality is precise with discrete, flawless panning, generating a highly-enjoyable, demo-worthy lossless mix. (Audio Rating: 5/5)

Montana Smith

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6631/complete_indiana_jones.html

The Supplements: Digging Into the Good Stuff

A large chunk of the supplemental package is a reiteration of what was seen in previous DVD releases. They can all be found on the fifth disc, except for the trailers. The only things missing are storyboard comparisons, still galleries, a short featurette on the trilogy and the intros with Spielberg and Lucas.

?Making the Films ? Four-part retrospective documentary focusing on each film individually and can be watched separately, starting with the original docs from the DVDs. Pieced together from interviews of Lucas, Spielberg, Harrison Ford and many others who contributed to the making of 'Raiders,' the first segment (SD, 51 min) comes with tons of background information and history while showing awesome concept art and lots of enjoyable BTS footage. The second part (SD, 41 min) does much of the same, and interviews talk extensively about wanting a darker, edgier sequel, the involvement of writers with some knowledge on India and everyone shares some amusing anecdotes.

The interviews in the third piece (SD, 35 min) logically discuss the ideas that went into 'Last Crusade,' the story's themes, the stunt work and the scenes with Nazis with a few comments from Sean Connery and River Phoenix. The final piece covers many of the same basics in the interviews, like the action and story, but only with more remarks on living up to the beloved franchise. The final doc is the same featurette (1080i/60, 29 min) on 'Crystal Skull' from the previous Blu-ray, originally called "The Return of a Legend." Decently in-depth and made from interviews of key players, it's also fairly entertaining and covering a simple overview of the production, from story origins and the challenges of revisiting a classic to set design and thoughts on the plot.

?The Stunts of Indiana Jones (SD, 11 min) ? More interviews with cast & crew talking specifically on the many dangerous stunts and the fight choreography of the films while BTS footage shows how it's all done.

?The Sound of Indiana Jones (SD, 13 min) ? A great piece on the sound and foley effects and their contribution to giving the franchise its distinct flavor.

?The Music of Indiana Jones (SD, 12 min) ? As the title suggests, this segment is endless praise on the music of John Williams and comments of the impact it has on several areas of the Indy adventures.

?The Light and Magic of Indiana Jones (SD, 12 min) ? A look at the special visual effects by ILM and how they were accomplished.

?Raiders: The Melting Face! (SD, 9 min) ? Members of the visual effects crew recreate one of the franchise's most memorable sequences. It's a very cool watch for anyone who loves old-school F/X work.

?Indiana Jones and the Creepy Crawlies (SD, 12 min) ? An entertaining piece that takes a closer look at the various critters seen in the first three movies. With optional pop-up trivia on the variety of species, animal wrangler Jules Sylvester talks extensively about his work and role.

?Travel with Indiana Jones: Locations (SD, 10 min) ? Another optional pop-up trivia track is offered with this travelogue of the various locations where the films were shot and features comments from producer Robert Watts.

?Indy's Women: The American Film Institute Tribute (SD, 9 min) ? An excerpt from the AFI event where Jean Firstenberg interviews Karen Allen, Kate Capshaw, and Alison Doody about their experiences in each film.

?Indy's Friends and Enemies (SD, 11 min) ? Spielberg, Lucas and producer Frank Marshall discuss the franchise's heroes and villains. Other characters are also shown some attention and finish the piece with BTS footage of 'Kingdom of Crystal Skull' to tease fans.

?Iconic Props (1080i/60, 10 min) ? A fun look at the props, iconic set pieces and costuming with Spielberg playing host.

?The Effects of Indy (1080i/60, 22 min) ? Lengthy featurette on the special effects by ILM in 'Crystal Skull' with several good comments on the evolution of how visuals are made and their effect on modern filmmaking.

?Adventures in Post-Production (1080i/60, 13 min) ? A nice segment on the post-production, including a good conversation with John Williams.

?Trailers (HD) ? Original theatrical teasers and previews are on each disc according to their respective movie.

HD Bonus Content: Any Exclusive Goodies in There?

Two brand new high-def exclusives enter the supplemental package. And while it would have been nice to see even more, what we have definitely adds value to this Blu-ray edition.
?The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark (SD, 58 min) ? A previously unavailable vintage EPK with BTS footage and interviews of Lucas and Spielberg talking about the plot and characters. Directed by Phillip Schuman, the doc starts with Spielberg sharing a fond memory of his first cinema experience and how it influences his filmmaking style. The conversation makes it clear the film is an homage to the classic serial and flows pretty much as would be expected, looking at the plot, characters, stage design and the choreography of several action sequences. Best parts are scenes on set, seeing Spielberg interact with the cast and the challenges of filming on location.

?On Set with Raiders of the Lost Ark (HD) ? A brand new two-part featurette that can be watched sequentially or separately, and both parts are awesome! The first is called "From Jungle to Desert" (30 min) and made from a collection of vintage BTS footage of cast & crew working on the set. Many of the conversations, some of which are from random interviews, are about shooting particular scenes and showing the creative decisions made on the spot. For devoted fans, the best part is seeing outtakes, alternate takes and deleted scenes. The second piece is titled "From Adventure to Legend" (28 min) and also made from never-before-seen BTS footage on the set. Also filled with several unseen alternate takes, the piece focuses in greater detail on the shooting of the movie's second half and finishes with a brief glimpse at the sequels.

Easter Eggs

No easter eggs reported for 'Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures' yet. Found an egg? Please use our tips form to let us know, and we'll credit you with the find.

Final Thoughts

The adventures of Indiana Jones are some of the most beloved movies in recent memory, making it one of the most cherished franchises in cinema history. Starting with the first installment, each film is an homage to the classic Saturday matinee serials of a bygone Hollywood era. From the imagination of George Lucas and the creative filmmaking style of Steven Spielberg, the movies are incredibly effective at capturing the melodrama, the thrills, and the overall excitement of a unique genre that entertained the hearts and minds of a younger generation. Arriving for the first time on Blu-ray, these new high-def transfers bring the adventures home in spectacular audio and video presentations along with a treasure trove of bonus materials, sure to keep everyone busy for a long while. Long-time devoted fans will not want to miss out on this owning this set because this is a must-own package.

Henry W Jones

Anybody have more info about the Target exclusive lithographs? How limited are they? Are they separate or part of the packaging?

WeAreGoingToDie

I'd like to know more about the lithos too.

My plan is to hit Best Buy and grab a print ad, then head next door to Target and get them to price match BB's price which is $5 lower. However, if the lithos are bundled with the blu-ray at Target, I can see them not accepting the price match since it could be deemed a "special edition" or a different SKU.

JediJones

The main site news has a link to the lithos.

They're packaged inside with a Target Exclusive sticker on front. The clerk at mine was someone who I know is not that picky about price-matching so she did it for me. Some will refuse as soon as they see a Target Exclusive sticker on it.

JediJones

Plus if you have the RedCard you save another 5%. ;)

Wiki says Target has 1,767 locations so if the lithos are really limited to 20,000, that makes about 11 exclusive sets per store. When I got there about an hour after opening, the Indy shelf spot was empty and I had to ask the guy to look in the back for more. He brought out about 6 or 7 copies.

WeAreGoingToDie

Returned from Target! SUCCESS!

I first stopped at Best Buy, to grab an ad so Target could price match. At Target, I checked out the shelf and holy crap: only THREE left (out of, I'm guessing, ten. GIven the space on the shelf) and each one had the lithographs. All three were in those plastic cases, not the annoying box damaging spider wraps. Even so, one was severely damaged in one corner. So it was down to two, and both were in great shape. So I grabbed one, the woman at the register bumped it down to Best Buy's $64.99 and thats that!

My lithograph number is: 7,866/20,000

indyclone25

i got my blu ray ....."and i used it!"
my lithographs was numbered 6400 of 20, 000.
watched the new doc's on the bonus features disc , really good .
watching raiders now . looks great! :D :D

caats

I got number 8000 or something, i like the lithographs! nicer than I expected. I didn't know what a lithograph really was to be honest. I was half expecting a bunch of folded posters.

The lithographs were like fiber card types. They had texture, like something an artist would draw on, really nice I thought. I'm probably gonna try and squeeze them in the boxes pages.

My GF has the blu ray player with her PS3, but no HDMI cable :(

Zucot

I gotta say, seeing the 2~ minutes of outtakes from all of the non-Raiders movies at the end of the new Raiders on the set feature was a HUGE tease.

It made me really wish that they would have given the other movies the same treatment.

It also makes me wonder if whoever finally found the TOD prank with Carrie Fisher and co has more recorded from that gag reel screening, and if we'll ever see it. :(

russds

Zucot said:
It also makes me wonder if whoever finally found the TOD prank with Carrie Fisher and co has more recorded from that gag reel screening, and if we'll ever see it. :(
Same here, I wonder this all the time too.