Which Indiana Jones finale was most impressive to Indy?

Which finale was the most incredible in Indy's eyes?

• Total voters

Exulted Unicron

I'm gonna say Last Crusade for best finale. Sure, Raiders, Temple and Crystal Skull had good endings, but the ending was rather poignant for Last Crusade. Not only does he see the true power of the Grail, but he gets a prize bigger and greater than what he could have ever had, in his terms at least. He got his father back

Darth Vile

I'd have to go for KOTCS... as I would imagine that proof that there is life out there (or in there depending on the inter dimensional bit), and that the aforementioned extra terrestrial life could have helped shape human civilisation, would lead Indy to re-examine everything he knows (or thought he knew) about archaeology. That said, on a cinematic level, KOTCS is probably the weakest finale...

I get the focus on the most supernatural elements, but I would pull the Temple finale back to start probably with the entire bridge sequence...which to me really stands out as a the most solid moment in the films showcasing Indy as a hero. I mean, you go from back against the wall ("oh, ****"), to facing the odds(prepare to meet Kali..in hell! *chop*), and finally a direct showdown with the main villain where Indy goes for the win (rather than the villain being a victim of his own design).

mattzilla2010

featofstrength said:
I get the focus on the most supernatural elements, but I would pull the Temple finale back to start probably with the entire bridge sequence...which to me really stands out as a the most solid moment in the films showcasing Indy as a hero. I mean, you go from back against the wall ("oh, ****"), to facing the odds(prepare to meet Kali..in hell! *chop*), and finally a direct showdown with the main villain where Indy goes for the win (rather than the villain being a victim of his own design).

Yeah, perhaps Temple's finale is most impressive to the audience - it is certainly quite exhilarating for all the reasons you mentioned. But most impressive to Indy? Hmmm don't think so. I think during all of that he was thinking something along the lines of "This really sucks" as opposed to "Wow I can't believe it!" ala Crusade or Kingdom.

I Don Quixote

The grail and his father being healed by it. He never seemed very religious to me, and after the grail atill didn't seem to be, but after seeing it give his father a second chance at life, he has to be amazed by that. There is no way to explain how it worked, but it saved someone who he, while not admittedly, loved.

Henry Jones VII

mister64 said:
Last Crusade. Elsa, the Knight, the Grail, saving his father and his father finally calling him "Indiana" made a big impression on Indy.

That part when Henry Sr calls him "Indiana" so tenderly always gives me goosebumps. :eek: :eek:

But yeah, for me Last Crusade's final seems to be the most impressive for Indy.

russds

Good thread. I've always loved the finale's in these movies. I would have broadened the ToD finale to the whole bridge sequence though, as others mentioned, and then I would vote ToD. I think as a sequence the bridge is the best. THe tension, the sort of 'how is he going to get out of this' excitement, and then he cuts, the bridge,...he cuts the bridge! dang. Great scene.

JediJones

Montana Smith said:
I think I'd have to say the Sankara Stones, as that event took place first, in 1935. After that he'd be more prepared for the unexpected.

Didn't seem to take hold though, judging by "I don't believe in magic, hocus pocus, a lot of superstitious nonsense. I'm going after a find of incredible historical significance, you're talking about the boogeyman." Maybe he didn't consider voodoo dolls magic, just a hard scientific fact. :whip: Still wondering why Mola Ram didn't deploy the voodoo doll while Indy was on the bridge. :confused:

JediJones

Yure said:
Voted for Crusade, not just for the climax that's built with the three challenges and that results in a really incredible sight

An experienced world-traveler like Indy certainly must have been impressed if not dumbfounded to see that an exact replica of Al Khazneh in Petra, Jordan had been built in Iskenderun, Turkey.

JediJones

I voted for ROTLA. The Ark wiped out all the Nazis for him. He was impressed enough to close his eyes in fear, something he didn't do in the other movies. And this was supposedly power directly from God, something that must have impressed him once he found out it was true. Heck, in Crusade, he was still arrogant enough to think he could grab the grail, showing he wasn't that impressed with its power. TOD, what the stones do just isn't anywhere near that impressive, and doesn't phase him at all.

KOTCS is the runner-up, but ultimately he's just looking at technology during that finale. He doesn't see any incredible, mystical powers on display. If the final moment didn't involve a big object, it wouldn't be that impressive. It could have been the aliens jumping into a small machine and disappearing with the push of a button. He seemed to have resigned himself to the existence of aliens after being "hypmotized" by the skull, and just accepted it, without being amazed. The ending adds nothing to that other than a large-scale vehicle and special effect.

Lance Quazar

Temple of Doom for one simple reason:

It's the only time Indy himself has personally invoked the almighty.

In the other films, Indy is largely a spectator. In "Doom', Indy calls forth the powers of Shiva himself.

You gotta feel like a badass after that.

Dr. Gonzo

michael said:
396.jpg

Here's your answer...