Rick Castle plays at being Indy

indytim

In the latest episode of ABC's Castle starring Nathan Fillion the story revolved around the death of an archeologist and the curse of a Maya mummy so obviously it would have been near impossible not to get at least one pop culture Indy reference in the story somewhere. Early on in the episode the character of Rick Castle (Fillion's character) sneaks away from his partner in crime Kate Beckett to check out the sarcophagus of the aforementioned mummy but not before adorning a rather conspicuous fedora that is hanging on a nearby wall. What follows is a brief moment where Castle acts all Indy-like and the music becomes very Jones-esque as he examines the tomb. In the scene following that one Castle then spouts this line ... 'This guy is like Indiana Jones but with space-age technology ... oooh, which would have have been a much better movie than that last one' ... Ouch! Not a fan of Crystal Skull then ;)

It wouldn't surprise me if Nathan Fillion had something to do with this Indy moment/episode's storyline as he has said in the past what a big fan of Ford he is. If you watch the extras on the Serenity DVD you'll see him talking about no other actor 'selling a punch' like Harrison and how he tries to emulate him ...

Enjoy :hat:

fullscreencapture080420.jpg

Montana Smith

He does look odd in a hat. I loved him in Firefly and Serenity, and thought that his acting style could match Harrison's in a reboot of Indy. But if he doesn't suit a fedora it's a bit of problem.

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
I'm not familiar with him, but if pursing his lips like that is a trademark, then forget it.

No, he just looks strange in that photo. He was Mal Reynolds, the lead in Joss Whedon's Firefly. I'd recommend the show to you, but it's one of those love/hate things. Either you get into it, or you don't. It's the wild west in space, but without the aliens!

Dewy9

Keep in mind that while this show has really done well in the ratings lately, the budget is probably fairly low (ie a $20 fedora).

I love Castle. It's a fun, lighthearted show.

Dewy9

harvey7297 said:
Another Indy reference on this week's episode. One of the producers must be a fan. :D

They do a lot of shout outs to other shows like Star Wars, and of course there's a ton of Firefly references.