Can we get Indy around the globe ?

InexorableTash

Part 5: Not Everything Is As It Seems

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_049.jpg

Where am I now? I better go inside and ask.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_050.jpg

Huh, no people. Just a whole lot of blinking boxes.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_051.jpg

There are these bikes everywhere... but something feels wrong about them.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_052.jpg

Flamingos? Why are they flocking this way?

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_053.jpg

Run! Like the wind, my trusty steed!

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_054.jpg

?X? marks the spot! What kind of crazy place is this?

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_055.jpg

It looks like some sort of idol!

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_056.jpg

Maybe I can ask these guys for some help.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_057.jpg

What?s that? Talk to the green guy? Okay...

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_058.jpg

Well, he seems friendly enough.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_059.jpg

Whoah! The light... the light...

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_060.jpg

I must have fallen asleep! What a crazy dream. Better get moving again.

More to come tomorrow! Where will Indy find himself next?

InexorableTash

Part 6: Back to Reality

No comments on yesterday's post? Am I boring everyone?

Now that Indy has recovered from his nap, let's see what he gets up to next...

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_061.jpg

I?ve been walking around for a while. Need to look around and get my bearings. I?m on Union Street.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_062.jpg

On my right is ?Jones?

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_063.jpg

And on my left is... ?Marion?? Who came up with this city?

I kid you not. Just a few blocks from my house.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_064.jpg

The Golden Gate Bridge. Turning 75 years old this year.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_065.jpg

There, through those trees. Is it a lost temple?

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_066.jpg

The Palace of Fine Arts. Last relic of the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition. Must mean I?m near the Presidio.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_067.jpg

For some reason I thought I?d be able to catch a train here!

Reminds Indy of Princeton - thanks MDew!

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_068.jpg

Wait! What?s that over there?

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_069.jpg

It looks like some sort of idol!

Tune in tomorrow for Part 7!

MDP78

I've been holding off commenting, but I really like his pics at the Google Plex with Andy! :)

Great pics all in all. Are you planning to take him to Lombard St. and the Coit tower?

InexorableTash

MDP78 said:
I've been holding off commenting, but I really like his pics at the Google Plex with Andy! :)

Great pics all in all. Are you planning to take him to Lombard St. and the Coit tower?

Thanks. I'll post more photos of Indy and Andy eventually that didn't make the cut for the story.

No visits to Lombard and Coit Tower this time for Indy, even though I live basically at the base of Lombard. Some future host in SF can pick up those tourist magnets.

InexorableTash

Part 7: Meanwhile, back at the fort...

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_070.jpg

I think I may have finally lost the Lao Che family thugs. Now why was I in San Francisco again?

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_071.jpg

Since I?m here at Fort Mason, maybe my friends at the Long Now Foundation can help out.

Gratuitous GGB shot.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_072.jpg

They?ve designed and built a mechanical calculating machine.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_073.jpg

And a mysterious clock to run for ten thousand years.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_074.jpg

It was all my idea, you know. I told them about what I?d seen in Atlantis.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_075.jpg

And this will be some sort of infernal machine when they?re done with it.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_076.jpg

Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics, Demotic script, and Ancient Greek. This won?t help me with the Chaac-Mool translation.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_077.jpg

Ah, but this might! All the world?s languages on one tiny disc. Now I just need a way to get there.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_078.jpg

Hey, an Army supply truck!

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_079.jpg

Let me try and snag it!

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_080.jpg

Maybe I was trying too hard. It wasn?t even moving!

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_081.jpg

Oh, I see what?s wrong with it. This one goes there, that one goes there!

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_082.jpg

Listen to her purr! Chaac-Mool, here I come!

The truck is actually an art installation; the solar panel powers an Internet radio stream playing vintage radio.

There will a hiatus on further posts for a bit. I have the photos for the rest of the story, but haven't put them together yet. The gdoc that I used for composing the story and captions is shared at: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1naOA1H7M-7z8DY6Hm9nIBwnUH3dWKcUe_jkGknRcZbs/edit

InexorableTash

Paging Mr. Quazar

Paging Mr. Quazar, Mr. Lance Quazar. Please report to the nearest courtesy PM Inbox for clearing. Your local travel director has the suggestions you requested.

Stoo

Lance Quazar said:
I'm going to San Francisco next week!

Any suggestions for off-beat, hidden, unusual or just plain cool things to do, see, places to eat, drink, etc. etc.?

Any and all suggestions welcome!!
I was going to suggest going to see the hundreds of stinky, sea lions who hang out at Pier 39 but I've just read that they've all moved on to someplace else.:( Be sure not to miss the Musée Méchanique at Pier 45. They have arcade games dating back to at least 1906!

Have a great visit, Lance.
InexorableTash said:
Not boring me. All of your shots are excellent and the accompanying comments make me chuckle (and, yes, I can't help but read them with Doug Lee's voice in mind). You have a great sense of humour, Tash.:D Great to see Indy next to the submarine and I love that Marion and Jones street coincidence!

This project is fantastic. In less than a month (on May 6th), Indy will have been on the road for 2 YEARS!:eek:

inky_skin

Stoo said:
This project is fantastic. In less than a month (on May 6th), Indy will have been on the road for 2 YEARS!:eek:

And we will be celebrating this milestone at Elstree with a number of Raiders production staff. Any of you know which scenes were filmed at the studios and the corresponding sound stages ?

Stoo

inky_skin said:
And we will be celebrating this milestone at Elstree with a number of Raiders production staff. Any of you know which scenes were filmed at the studios and the corresponding sound stages ?
Can't wait for that, Inky!:D The "Complete Making of" book probably has the stage number details but I don't have mine with me at the moment. In the meantime, here is some good info from theraider.net:

Raiders (with stage numbers)
Doom
Crusade
Pale Horse said:
Coffee Table Book?
Yes! Absolutely. I would definitely buy one. (Heck, I'd even be willing to design the cover.)

inky_skin

Stoo said:
Can't wait for that, Inky!:D The "Complete Making of" book probably has the stage number details but I don't have mine with me at the moment. In the meantime, here is some good info from theraider.net:

Raiders (with stage numbers)
Doom
Crusade
Yes! Absolutely. I would definitely buy one. (Heck, I'd even be willing to design the cover.)

Thanks Stoo - should be able to access a couple of those locations with some luck.

How does one start a book ? I think there is some decent content there - maybe some choice shots with a sidebar on the forum member - perhaps a preface about the purpose of the project. Ideas ?

Finn

Staff member
InexorableTash said:
Can't speak for everyone else, but in Finland silence is usually a sign of appreciation. If that helps.

inky_skin

Henry W Jones said:
Maybe one day I could take Indy on a tour of Seattle. Underground old Seattle could be interesting.

No reason why not buddy - it's an ongoing project. Are we talking literal of figurative underground ?

Pale Horse

Staff member
inky_skin said:
Thanks Stoo - should be able to access a couple of those locations with some luck.

How does one start a book ? I think there is some decent content there - maybe some choice shots with a sidebar on the forum member - perhaps a preface about the purpose of the project. Ideas ?

Here's one
HTML:
http://www.blurb.com/
but by no means is that the only route. But, with a potentially small audience, it could work well.

Henry W Jones

inky_skin said:
No reason why not buddy - it's an ongoing project. Are we talking literal of figurative underground ?

Literally. :hat: Part of Seattle is built on top of old Seattle and they do tours. http://www.undergroundtour.com/

Wikipedia said:
The Seattle Underground is a network of underground passageways and basements in downtown Seattle, Washington, United States that was ground level at the city's origin in the mid-19th century. After the streets were elevated these spaces fell into disuse, but have become a tourist attraction in recent decades.

Seattle's first buildings were wooden. On June 6, 1889 at 2:39 in the afternoon,[1] a cabinetmaker accidentally overturned and ignited a glue pot. An attempt to extinguish it with water spread the burning grease-based glue. The fire chief was out of town, and although the volunteer fire department responded they made the mistake of trying to use too many hoses at once. They never recovered from the subsequent drop in water pressure, and the Great Seattle Fire destroyed 31 blocks.[2]

While a destructive fire was not unusual for the time, the response of the city leaders was. Instead of rebuilding the city as it was before, they made two strategic decisions: that all new buildings must be of stone or brick, insurance against a similar disaster in the future; and to regrade the streets one to two stories higher than the original street grade. Pioneer Square had originally been built mostly on filled-in tidelands and, as a consequence, it often flooded. The new street level also assisted in ensuring that gravity-assisted flush toilets that funnelled into Elliott Bay did not back up at high tide.

For the regrade, the streets were lined with concrete walls that formed narrow alleyways between the walls and the buildings on both sides of the street, with a wide "alley" where the street was. The naturally steep hillsides were used, and through a series of sluices material was washed into the wide "alleys", raising the streets to the desired new level, generally 12 feet higher than before, in some places nearly 30 feet.

At first pedestrians climbed ladders to go between street level and the sidewalks in front of the building entrances. Brick archways, as seen in the image to the left, were constructed next to the road surface, above the submerged sidewalks. Skylights with small panes of clear glass (which later became amethyst-colored because of manganese in the glass) were installed, creating the area now called the Seattle Underground.

When they reconstructed their buildings, merchants and landlords knew that the ground floor would eventually be underground and the next floor up would be the new ground floor, so there is very little decoration on the doors and windows of the original ground floor, but extensive decoration on the new ground floor.

Once the new sidewalks were complete, building owners moved their businesses to the new ground floor, although merchants carried on business in the lowest floors of buildings that survived the fire, and pedestrians continued to use the underground sidewalks lit by the glass cubes (still seen on some streets) embedded in the grade-level sidewalk above.

In 1907 the city condemned the Underground for fear of bubonic plague, two years before the 1909 World Fair in Seattle (Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition). The basements were left to deteriorate or were used as storage. Some became illegal flophouses for the homeless, gambling halls, speakeasies, and opium dens.

Only a small portion of the Seattle Underground has been restored and made safe and accessible to the public on guided tours.

It will be a little while before I can participate but I will want in. Washington has a bunch of things for Indy to see.

Stoo

inky_skin said:

Can't wait for your visit to Elstree. That will be a coup-de-grâce!

As for a possible book, the red-lined map should defitintely be used with each leg added on the corresponding host's pages. One other possibility could be to include more detailed maps of the actual cities with the precise location points showing where the individual photos were taken.

I've worked on a book and a few catalogues before so I'd be totally into helping make this happen.:)
Pale Horse said:
Here's one

HTML Code:
http://www.blurb.com/
but by no means is that the only route. But, with a potentially small audience, it could work well.
On-demand printing is, indeed, the best avenue to take. That way, nobody is left with boxes of unsold books. A friend of mine has made 2 nice, hardcover books using CafePress but they don't do colour pages.

Book1 looks pretty good and well-suited for our needs:
http://www.book1one.com

InexorableTash

I can practically hear the Indy theme playing. The red line is on the map and about to stop...

(Better finish up my story tonight!)