John Carter of Mars

ROB98374

I just got home from seeing John Carter. I went into it with no knowledge of the film or books, except for the few previews I saw on TV. I thought it was a good movie. It took me a while to figure out what was going on in the beginning, but I caught on soon enough. It had plenty of action and an interesting story. I hope they make another movie, if not, I might have to read the book(s)!

Junior Jones

I read the book prior to seeing the movie and was looking forward to it, but I couldn't get out to the theater on opening weekend, and the low box office take dampened my hopes.

Given that the story was written 100 years ago, I wanted to see how the filmmakers would handle science fiction based on flawed (or primitive) science.
In the end, the Therns' unexplained technology was more like magic, and turned the movie from primitive SciFi to Fantasy. That was the most disappointing thing to me.

Montana Smith

Somebody leant this to me yesterday.

Just watched it.

Found it pretty ordinary in terms of character and story, which was to be expected given the direction this took.

The creatures and effects were really well done, but everything else seemed so superficial. It was engaging on the level of a Saturday morning cartoon from the '80s. Or maybe even the Tarzan 'toon from the '70s!

Didn't help that I fell asleep a few times and had to backtrack to the last bit I remembered seeing.

They also leant me Cowboys and Aliens, so I suppose I'll have to force myself to watch that as well!

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
They also leant me Cowboys and Aliens, so I suppose I'll have to force myself to watch that as well!

Finally, you're gonna watch it! I'm so happy for you! I think you might find it enjoyable, if only slightly, given your tastes. You'll certainly like it more than KOTCS. Ford is particularly good in it, which gives me hope for the Ender's Game film.

Let us know what you thought of it after seeing it. That could be a very interesting discussion...

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Finally, you're gonna watch it! I'm so happy for you! I think you might find it enjoyable, if only slightly, given your tastes. You'll certainly like it more than KOTCS. Ford is particularly good in it, which gives me hope for the Ender's Game film.

Let us know what you thought of it after seeing it. That could be a very interesting discussion...

I guess I do have strange taste in films. Looking at the pile on the desk that are ready for 'filing away', the most enjoyable of them were The Ninth Gate, Conan, Sunshine and Sucker Punch. I like movies that are character-driven, and special effects, no matter how great, just don't do it on their tod.

I have four stacks of DVDs and Blu-rays still awaiting watching. Each stack stands two foot high. I buy them when I see them cheap, but games like Fallout 3 and New Vegas (and The Raven!) really eat into movie-watching time.

I'll move Cowboys and Aliens to the next in line, just for you, Kong!

I was also leant Men in Black 3, plus a bunch of films I've never even heard of.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
I guess I do have strange taste in films. Looking at the pile on the desk that are ready for 'filing away', the most enjoyable of them were The Ninth Gate, Conan, Sunshine and Sucker Punch. I like movies that are character-driven, and special effects, no matter how great, just don't do it on their tod.

I have four stacks of DVDs and Blu-rays still awaiting watching. Each stack stands two foot high. I buy them when I see them cheap, but games like Fallout 3 and New Vegas (and The Raven!) really eat into movie-watching time.

I'll move Cowboys and Aliens to the next in line, just for you, Kong!

I was also leant Men in Black 3, plus a bunch of films I've never even heard of.

I saw your post on the Cowboys & Aliens thread, and replied to it. But I'll reply to this here.

I do admire the stance of someone who prefers character-driven movies to SFX extravaganzas, even though sometimes they are a guilty pleasure almost on the level of socially embarassing (Transformers 1 and 3-two was in my opinion utter trash-, the Star Wars prequels, and Godzilla movies :eek: ).

And since when did you start doing things 'just for me,' Smiffy? I was under the impression our different stances on KOTCS made us destined to be enemies for all time! I'm so confused! ;)

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
I do admire the stance of someone who prefers character-driven movies to SFX extravaganzas, even though sometimes they are a guilty pleasure almost on the level of socially embarassing (Transformers 1 and 3-two was in my opinion utter trash-, the Star Wars prequels, and Godzilla movies :eek: ).

All those films are like KOTCS. They have some great sequences in them, but, for me, they don't work as complete entities due to character/script issues. John Carter would be added to that list.

As you wrote in the Favourite Scene In Indiana Jones 4 thread,

kongisking said:
...the entirety of the prologue, from opening credits to the mushroom cloud shot, That stretch of movie was...perfect. The rest of the film, I will admit, comes nowhere near to that opening.

It's like a movie-within-a-movie. As with all the above mentioned films, they're best remembered (or watched) as a collection of selected highlights. Though that defeats the intention of the film-makers.

kongisking said:
And since when did you start doing things 'just for me,' Smiffy? I was under the impression our different stances on KOTCS made us destined to be enemies for all time! I'm so confused! ;)

"I think you and I are destined to do this forever."

:D

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
"I think you and I are destined to do this forever."

:D

You know the creepy thing? I was actually going to use that line, but second-guessed myself...mostly out of a desire to lessen my bad habit of referencing Batman all the time (thinking of you, Stoo!)...

But clever nonetheless...

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
You know the creepy thing? I was actually going to use that line, but second-guessed myself...mostly out of a desire to lessen my bad habit of referencing Batman all the time (thinking of you, Stoo!)...

But clever nonetheless...

Well...

<back in the arena>

phantom train

Though I missed John Carter in the theatre, I did see it on DVD twice this Fall. Wow, what an incredible film, which truly exceeded my expectations! Amazing effects, incredible scenery, good story, and great acting! The film makers were very true to the original ERB story, while at the same time changing some things to make things more "cinematic":

- The green four-armed Tharks and the red-skinned/blue-blooded (but otherwise human-looking) people were close to what ERB described in the original books, and the vehicles/other tech seemed similar to the books as well. Also liked the elaborate costumes, amazing city-scapes, deserts, etc.

- The CGI was amazing, and you could really see texture in the skin of the Tharks, the fur of the white apes, etc.

- Though the whole film was excellent, two of the scenes that really stood out for me were the one where John Carter stayed behind to fight off all the evil Tharks alone (that were led by the bald Thurn), as well as the arena scene, where JC fought against the large, four-armed white apes - Incredible!

- I liked how they changed the explanation as to how JC was transported to Mars to make it more pseudo-scientific/magical, i.e., the medallion was what transported his "consciousness" to Mars; in the original ERB novel, I don't think much of an explanation was given here.

As to why JC didn't do better at the box office despite being such an incredibly visually stunning & amazing movie, I have some theories - some of these have already been mentioned:

1) Timing: The film was released in March, and though that would initially seem like a great time for release since it didn't have to compete against the blockbusters that were coming out in May - July, I'm not sure it was the right move. If the film had instead been released in August (while people were still in the mode of seeing summer films) it may have done better. Then again, maybe not...

2) Obviously, the marketing re: the title. After seeing the film, I really can't believe it was called "John Carter" instead of "John Carter of Mars" or, even better, "John Carter, Warlord of Mars". Though we fans of the ERB novels & Marvel comic would have been familiar with the story, the general public had no clue that "John Carter" was a sci-fi film. In any case, adding "Mars" to the title would certainly not caused the film to do any worse at the box office than it already did. And, it was interesting that at the very end of the film (before the credits), they did show the title "John Carter of Mars"...

3) Lack of a toyline: Sure, I completely understand that toy companies probably didn't want to invest in the film since they were uncertain of how well it would do, but IMHO a small, limited series of 4-5 figures and 2-3 creatures at stores stores like Target, Wal-mart, etc. a couple of months prior to the film's release may have gone a long way towards making kids want to see the movie before the release date. Of course, this may not have made much difference in this case, but it probably couldn't have hurt either...

In any case, it's unfortunate that the film didn't do better at the box office, which means there won't be any sequels. Like last year's excellent but underrated Conan film, for some reason JC never found it's audience (at least not while in the theatre)....

AndyLGR

I can understand why this film flopped, as already discussed the title doesn't really convey the film unless you are a fan of the original source material, also I thought this was one of those films where the first 45 mins or so the story is all over the place or just confusing, making it difficult to get in to.

I stuck with it and actually ended up enjoying it, so overall I'd say its worth giving it a chance. The effects are very good too and it helped that the princess is stunning :whip:

Everyone's a critic. I really enjoyed this. Even in just boring old 2D. Speaking of 2D where on Barsoom is the 2nd? Or does no one else give a thark?