Bazooka and other heavy ordnance - Empire magazine photos

commontone

deckard24 said:
Right!

What the hell happened to it being tonally the closest to Raiders? I had a feeling this was how it was gonna play out. I'm still excited, but I knew with the introduction of LaBeouf and the angle they seem to be going in, that KotCS would be closer to LC. There will never be another film like Raiders, it was a one time deal!

Just because Marshall suddenly has this opinion, it doesn't mean Koepp and Lucas have changed their minds. I wouldn't take it to heart too much.

In my opinion, Raiders could have used a bit more "fun banter." It was pretty dry that way. But I also think LC took it to a slapstick level at times that was a little much.

Maybe KotCS will be the best of both worlds, as people have said. More wit and banter than Raiders, but not as cartoonish as LC. That would be perfect IMO.

1ord3vil

Major West said:
Not sure I get where where you are coming from. The only reason summer Blockbusters are forgettable is because for the last ten years or more they have all been bad films.
You state it right there. That's where I'm coming from. Lucas most recent work has been atrocious. I still have some faith in Spielberg, but when they told us we'd get Raiders and the producer now tells us we'll get Crusade I can't say I like the direction we're headed. It smells of fluffy action-comedy all the way.
Don't forget, Lucas and Spielberg created the summer blockbuster genre, with Jaws, Star Wars, ET and Raiders. They ARE the genre. Have faith.
This is why I still have some hope for the movie.

deckard24

commontone said:
Just because Marshall suddenly has this opinion, it doesn't mean Koepp and Lucas have changed their minds. I wouldn't take it to heart too much.

In my opinion, Raiders could have used a bit more "fun banter." It was pretty dry that way. But I also think LC took it to a slapstick level at times that was a little much.

Maybe KotCS will be the best of both worlds, as people have said. More wit and banter than Raiders, but not as cartoonish as LC. That would be perfect IMO.
Good points, and I like where you're coming from! LC is my least favorite of the 3 films, but not a terrible movie. There are lots of great moments in it. So if they could take those and run with them, as well as combine the best elements of Raiders and add something new and fresh, we'd be in for a treat! I know it can't be entirely brand new, since there needs to be some continuity with the other films. But, I'd still like to see something we haven't seen, and not just a rehash of the other films. One of my biggest gripes about LC, was that it felt like a repeat of Raiders with over-the-top slapstick.

I'm sure I'll still really enjoy KotCS, but something tells me LC part 2 is what we'll be seeing.

Last edited:

jasperjones

Well, I love all the INdy films so as long as it's tonally close to Indy I'll be more than happy! I also agree that even if the shot has not been posed, that the truck isn't moving at this point as the trees etc, outside the window are in perfect focus. Anyway, like this pic

Indy4fan

Raiders reference? NICE! It looks like he got the Zooka from the truck---Perhaps this is a chase scene in a Russian truck.

Looks like they plan to be in this van for some time. He's hung his bag up at the back.

Why is Indy holding a giant pen? This must indicate that the inhabitants of the 'Kingdom' are all huge...

JerryKing

He's apparently going for the temple of boom.

(Oh, good heavens, I just had a morbid thought that la Boeuf will actually say something of the sort in the movie... "Okay, so we're gonna raid the warehouse for that lost ark?"... :sick:)

sandiegojones

For all of you whining about the lack of Indy's gun....

Plus, according to comingsoon.net the magazine will also have a new Spalko photo.

Last edited:

SterankoII

I'm not worried about Frank Marshall's statement. KOTCS can be tonally like The Last Crusade and also be like Raiders like George said. What was wrong IMO with TLC wasn't really the lighter tone, which I liked. It was that most of the action paled next to the previous two movies. Yes, there were some great stuff like the tank chase. I also thought the motorcycle chase was fun. But for the most part nothing in TLC ever topped the armrest grabbing, white knuckle causing thrills of Raiders and Temple of Doom! You could tell that they were kind of running out of ideas and that's why they decided then that would be the last one. Hopefully Frank Darabont had come up with some new action setpieces when he wrote his script and that Spielberg and Co kept most of them.

If this new movie can be light in tone like the third and have the awesome, inventive action scenes like the first two movies, then it'll be great.

Last edited:

jasperjones

I rate the tank chase as one of my favourite action sequences of all time. Indy's jump from the horse to the tank is classic!

Blue Jay

DaveTheHutt said:
Oh, lord! You've got to love all these "Oooh, I'm getting a bad feeling - look at the expressions on Indy and Marion's faces. Marion looks like she's on a school run" type comments.

No-one here knows the context of this scene (and I reckon it is a scene, not a posed shot) so no-one can judge if their expressions (which it's hard to get the full nuance of anyway, given the image's low resolution) are 'right' or not.

A lot of people seem to be assuming this is from the middle of an action scene, and everyone should be grimacing and gurning. But the presence of the RPG doesn't necessarily mean that. Maybe this is a 'planning' scene, with everyone deciding what to do next. Maybe the truck's at a standstill hence Marion's relaxed control of the wheel.

We don't know one way or another, so let's not wet our knickers just yet, eh?

I dont think they are planning something because otherwise it would be very risky for indy to keep his finger on the trigger of the rpg inside the truck. Hence i assume that this is from an action scene.
Furthermore i think the surprised look of Mutt indicates a reaction to indy jumping from behind the truck and saying: Look what i just found. :D So everybody stares at him wondering what he is now up to.
I dont know but the background seems to me as if it is moving.

I am just happy :D

Kingsley

JerryKing said:
When asked where this movie sits tonally with the rest of the series, Marshall said: "I would say it's closest to the third one (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade)"...

:(
(y)

It means interesting characters development, and great chemistry in the set (so, in the movie too).

Avilos

Why do people put so much stock in Frank Marshall's OWN ASSESSMENT? That is not to discredit him but a films feel and tone is subjective!!!!!!!! I can not stress that enough. There will probably be a lot of different options on its tone when we actually get to see the film. Yet some people treat a his opinion as a statement of fact and are worried about the movie....
Unbelievable. :rolleyes: Lucas was right.

sandiegojones

None of these movies were bad, I don't understand the fear that this will suck or all of the nay sayers here saying this is campy! Of course it is that's the fun! It's just that these films have had way better production values and quality acting which sets them apart.

There is a reason we're all here, right? Indy has been successful because of the quality and fun. Give the filmmakers the benefit of the doubt, they've earned it!

WhipItGood

Well, I'll take the screenwriter's and director's impression of the "tone" of the film over the producer's anyday. Two are creating the film, one is producing it.

Besides, I think there's room for all three films to contribute tones to the new film. My interpretation of what Marshall was alluding to was that this film might include a similar sense of "family" which was depicted in LC... if such rumors are true, that is.

Also, I'm still baffled by so many fans have problems with dealing with 'staged' publicity photos from the set/location. There's nothing new in this practice at all, and for people to expect such obvious promo photos to represent exactly the look and action of a filmed scene just doesn't stand up to the history of theatrical feature publicity.

Imagine a publicity unit posing and snapping a shot of Harrison in the middle of the RAIDERS truck chase location between takes: it's not a film frame image, it's lit differently, the truck's not moving... would that have made the resulting chase scene we've all enjoyed suddenly 'suck' or 'campy'? Not at all.

Be glad we're getting new images and info, it's better than nothing.