General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

michael

Rocket Surgeon said:
Well, I was speaking metaphorically...but I'll take your word on it miss. By the way your name is misspelled. As yours is spelled, it's a man's name.:hat:
Oh golly. You got me.

emtiem

Rocket Surgeon said:
How convienient you ignore the example! You must have enjoyed the character of Oliver.

Oliver being an example of... what exactly?

Rocket Surgeon said:
That and/or you'll watch ANYTHING.:rolleyes: What am I saying?! You like Dr Who...good lord.

Again, without having watched something you're not really qualified to judge it.

Rocket Surgeon said:
You have low standards, end of story. (Isn't that annoying when someone turns the conversation off like that?)

When it comes from a position of total ignorance, not really. It's a meaningless statement so it can't really upset me. Opinions and a point of view have to be generated from experience: as you don't have any experience in this matter you're simply pretending to have a point of view; which doesn't really work. That's not a point of view: it's just a rock from which to jump up and down and attempt to annoy someone for no reason whatsoever; like a child. Full marks for trying, though- zero for execution.

Rocket Surgeon said:
...and therein lies the problem. You equate quantity with quality,

Where have you stretched that from? Quantity of awards? Quantity of amazing reviews, quantity of high audience appreciation figures, hired by Hollywood, quantity of shows he's written that I think have been some of the best writing I've seen on telly etc.? Yeah, possibly. Silly old me. I'll be judging the career of someone like Steven Spielberg on meaningless quantities like the quantity of films of his I've liked and the quantity of awards he's won next. What an idiot.

Rocket Surgeon said:
that AND you believe you know what I like and have no problem speaking for me instead of speaking with me...or writing for that matter. You keep supposing. I'll keep setting you straight.:rolleyes:

No, the Koepp comment was designed to highlight and parody the inadequacies in your posts: it wasn't a serious suggestion of how I thought your opinions went. Keep up, dear boy.

I'm not sure why you've tried to manufacture this pointless argument (I'm not sure if trying to argue from the point of view of no knowledge of what you're talking about even counts as an argument, does it?), but rest assured if it were possible that Moffat were available (which he ain't) it'd be interesting to see if Spielberg would want to use him again on this project; a project which shares similarities with the other project SS recently used him for. Moffat has particular talents (which some people may not have experience of; this is not to be confused with those talents not existing, however) which would suit Indy down to the ground and having been a fan of his writing for many years I'd have loved to have seen it happen. I mention this only because it would, in my eyes, have been a distinct possibility as the director of Indiana Jones must think he's talented. I think he'd have brought a very clever storyline and some cracking jokes: jokes in particular being something I thought Crystal Skull suffered from a lack of when compared to the other Indy movies.

As it is, perhaps it's possible that Edgar Wright -another Tintin writer- and his partner Joe Cornish will be brought in. I think they could add something fresh and funny too. I am foolishly basing that on the flimsy evidence that their previous work, including a couple of mainstream hit films, has been work I've enjoyed.

emtiem

Crack that whip said:
I know I'm not the one you were addressing, emtiem, but I just have to respond to something in your post...

Pfft. To me, that makes about as much sense as saying "would someone who's only seen (the crap) Raiders be right to say that Young Indy must surely suck and you can keep it," but whatever...

The movies and the TV series are undeniably different, but IMO the latter is so rich and beautifully developed (and frankly, adds to and enhances the former in ways that make the movies a fair bit better than they already were on their own) that a given argument will pretty much lose me the instant it uses a Young Indy analogy like yours that hinges upon the assertion the show sucks, but perhaps that's just me.

FWIW, I do also enjoy what little Doctor Who I've seen, though that's not much.

Anyway, carry on...

Well that's fair enough- I don't really want to get into a debate about how bad I think Young Indy is (I don't even see how it's Indiana Jones to be honest: that name is a brand to me which comes with certain promises: none of which the TV show made good on) but I'm sure you can see how saying that one aspect of something which is pretty unrelated to another means that the former must be terrible is woolly logic in the extreme. In fact, Young Indy is a bad example because it shares George Lucas with the movies: the Tom Baker Dr Who shares absolutely no crew members with the new Who series at all.

emtiem said:
Oliver being an example of... what exactly?
...of a talented writer producing crap.
emtiem said:
Keep up, dear boy.
...quite. You should take your own advise, dear boy.
emtiem said:
Again, without having watched something you're not really qualified to judge it.
Do you even know who Tom Baker IS/WAS?
Do try to keep up...
emtiem said:
When it comes from a position of total ignorance, not really. It's a meaningless statement so it can't really upset me. Full marks for trying, though- zero for execution.
Again, we see there is nothing you can posses without misunderstanding or twisting it to suit YOU.

Lovely how you enjoy rating things. If you understand half of what you see the way you distinguish things here...it would make PERFECT sense. You're constant brain farts that is.

You see, it's an example, a parody of your posting predelictions and a mockery of your close-mindedness.
emtiem said:
Where have you stretched that from? Quantity of awards? Quantity of amazing reviews, quantity of high audience appreciation figures, hired by Hollywood, quantity of shows he's written that I think have been some of the best writing I've seen on telly etcYeah, possibly. Silly old me. I'll be judging the career of someone like Steven Spielberg on meaningless quantities like the quantity of films of his I've liked and the quantity of awards he's won next. What an idiot.
Well at least you've come around to the things you've SEEN and appreciated. I guess that means there are films you've seen of his you don't like but still you're ready to jump on the band wagon...and that's the whole point you're missing. Wait and see, don't just get down on your knees in front of the man for some gobble gobble.:sick: Once again: The Spice Girls BABY! I'm sure if you cared to you'd find glowing reviews of their "work", but what does it mean? Surely they were popular, how many of their disks you own? Come on now...how many? I know you're looking over your shoulder right now at them...

emtiem said:
No, the Koepp comment was designed to highlight and parody the inadequacies in your posts: it wasn't a serious suggestion of how I thought your opinions went. Keep up, dear boy.
Well great work! you've surely illustrated your crafting, wordsmithy!:rolleyes:

emtiem said:
I'm not sure why you've tried to manufacture this pointless argument (I'm not sure if trying to argue from the point of view of no knowledge of what you're talking about even counts as an argument, does it?),
Ah the blame game! Well, if you review the previous posts you might glean the point where you continued to believe you understood me and veered off course, becoming so arrogant as to assume I ONLY knew of Coupling. Very telling.

...a nudge is a good as a wink to a blind bat eh?

emtiem said:
but rest assured if it were possible that Moffat were available (which he ain't) it'd be interesting to see if Spielberg would want to use him again on this project; a project which shares similarities with the other project SS recently used him for. Moffat has particular talents (which some people may not have experience of; this is not to be confused with those talents not existing, however) which would suit Indy down to the ground and having been a fan of his writing for many years I'd have loved to have seen it happen. I mention this only because it would, in my eyes, have been a distinct possibility as the director of Indiana Jones must think he's talented. I think he'd have brought a very clever storyline and some cracking jokes: jokes in particular being something I thought Crystal Skull suffered from a lack of when compared to the other Indy movies.
That's what Indy needs...more jokes.:rolleyes:

...and your Young Indy example is not your only bad example...

Crack that whip

emtiem said:
Well that's fair enough- I don't really want to get into a debate about how bad I think Young Indy is (I don't even see how it's Indiana Jones to be honest: that name is a brand to me which comes with certain promises: none of which the TV show made good on) but I'm sure you can see how saying that one aspect of something which is pretty unrelated to another means that the former must be terrible is woolly logic in the extreme. In fact, Young Indy is a bad example because it shares George Lucas with the movies: the Tom Baker Dr Who shares absolutely no crew members with the new Who series at all.

Well, the show is indeed undeniably different from the movies, as even George and company acknowledged before the show ever aired; they actually made a point of saying so, lest viewers enter into it with the wrong expectations.

The name is a "brand," sure, but it's also the name of the character himself, and if there's going to be a show about the character, are they supposed to make a point of not using the name? The character's portrayal in the show is different from that in the movies, but in a way consistent with them, given the premise of this being the younger version of the character; in fact, it's really more in keeping with what's established in the movies than simply doing earlier adventures purely in the style of the movies would have been, since the character has to start somewhere, and the show shows us how he came to be the person he is later on in the movies (that one afternoon in 1912 Utah can explain only so much).

Anyway, I'd also disagree the show didn't make good on its promises - to me, the show delivers so much more than the title alone might promise. But different strokes, and all that. And yes, it's "Indiana Jones" because aside from the character being called that, it's made clear that the character here grows up to become the character in the movies.

(And sorry for sticking on this; I know you said you didn't want to get into a debate about the show. I just have a hard time letting such assertions here about this wonderful, wonderful show go unaddressed. ;) )

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Here's that Figaro interview, google translated. "The Fifth Element?" :)
He held a simple black shirt and dark suit, but striped socks that clash. At 67, Harrison Ford, guest of honor at the Deauville American Film Festival, is actually a strange mixture. Actor ultraprofessionnel and lucid, he takes his job as an actor very seriously while having the city a quirky humor worthy of a Han Solo or Indiana Jones. Meeting with a star and a legend. "No, I'm an actor simply" corrects he.

LE FIGARO. - You are a regular at the festival. You remember your first time in Deauville?
Harrison Ford. - That was over thirty years, but I can not remember for which movie exactly! Then, type Wikipedia! But one thing is sure, it's always a pleasure to come here even if I do not know the city well except for some restaurants! I left my hotel to go to interviews, still jet-lagged and trying desperately to wake up!

Is it difficult for you to find good scripts now?
It is both the effect of the crisis but do not ask me especially to one industry analyst, I am unable, I am not an economist! and my age. I work much less than before. I am very lucid. At 67, I have far fewer opportunities than when I was 45 years. But this is not a problem, I am relatively happy.

So what do you do when you're not working?
I do the dishes ...

No!
(ever so seriously) And also dinner. In the morning, I prepare my 8 year old son who must go to school (the child of his girlfriend, Calista Flockhart, Ed) and I spend time in the air to fly my planes. You see I do the same thing as everyone else! My children were between 8 and 42 years and I am also a grandfather.

To get started, your meeting with George Lucas who has been critical, right?
That's right. I was fortunate to work with George on American Graffiti. And then, thanks to the success of Star Wars that I could continue doing the acting profession that I have put in brackets. To support myself, I have been a carpenter for twelve years. But this is not the visionary director who defined my career. I have always been conscious and constant effort never to be trapped in one type of character or a single type of film.

You have your little charts role of villains. Why?
Because there are really few who have been proposed and which were interesting!

What were the dreams of young Harrison?
I did not aspire to become an actor. I also had no idea what to do later. I had a vague desire to be forest ranger in a nature park. It's when I started doing theater in high school I thought that was the way to lead a bohemian without real work. But obviously I finally understood that it was a real job, full time! I still enjoy this intact no one ever remakes the same thing, we always meet people and different challenges are many.

Were you ambitious and so are you still?
Not generally but very specifically. My goal is to manufacture and deliver the best. Ambitious yes, in my quest for perfection. Perfection through each line of the script, each scene shot, every note of the score. In short, I want to be always on top.

Why do you ever spent on the other side of the camera?
Because it's too hard, too long and it does not pay enough! I express it as a joke, but every word is true. Être un bon cinéaste est le métier le plus difficile du monde. I'm not patient enough. And then I do not want to be the boss.

At the time of the filming of "Blade Runner", you had many tensions with Ridley Scott. In a disagreement with a director can rise to a cult film?
My relationship with Ridley was not as disastrous as has been claimed. And we did not scrambled. It has become a legend. I do not deny the disagreements and disputes with Ridley strong but I always admired his intelligence, his way of filming. Complications in the creative process does not define the experience.

You've marked your mark on American cinema with the great saga "Star Wars" and "Indiana Jones". You are a legend along with a star?
No, I'm just an actor who is at the service of a story. And I do not belong to a business legend, let alone a star business.

How do you envisage the future? Cook and home or on a movie set?
I'll play as long as people will want me and you will have the patience to guide me! Et cela ne me gêne pas de jouer le rôle d'un vieil homme plutôt que celui du jeune homme! I am very pleased. There are many examples of players who have continued to work until their last breath ... And my ambition at the time.

Then, at age 67, what are your plans?
The idea of a new "Indiana Jones" is taking shape. Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and I are agreed on what will be the fifth element. George is working actively. If the script is good, I'm very happy rendosser the costume of the archaeologist-adventurer.

And you waiting in Indy, in which films you'll see Does it soon?
The Project Crowley Tom Vaughan is in postproduction. It took me five years to develop the subject. The screenplay, very emotional, inspired by a true story of John Crowley, a young father whose two children suffer from a genetic disease. He will leave his job to care for his family. I interpret the scientist who sought a drug to save them. And then we will see next year, Morning Glory by Roger Mitchell, a wonderfully written comedy by the author of Devil Wears Prada. I embody, alongside Diane Keaton, a TV presenter who, after being fired, will have to re-enlist in a program that is humiliating!

Kingsley

Moedred said:
"The Fifth Element?" :)
fifth-element-1997-dvd.jpg

Please no Aliens this time!!

Darth Vile

Crack that whip said:
Well, the show is indeed undeniably different from the movies, as even George and company acknowledged before the show ever aired; they actually made a point of saying so, lest viewers enter into it with the wrong expectations.

The name is a "brand," sure, but it's also the name of the character himself, and if there's going to be a show about the character, are they supposed to make a point of not using the name? The character's portrayal in the show is different from that in the movies, but in a way consistent with them, given the premise of this being the younger version of the character; in fact, it's really more in keeping with what's established in the movies than simply doing earlier adventures purely in the style of the movies would have been, since the character has to start somewhere, and the show shows us how he came to be the person he is later on in the movies (that one afternoon in 1912 Utah can explain only so much).

Anyway, I'd also disagree the show didn't make good on its promises - to me, the show delivers so much more than the title alone might promise. But different strokes, and all that. And yes, it's "Indiana Jones" because aside from the character being called that, it's made clear that the character here grows up to become the character in the movies.

(And sorry for sticking on this; I know you said you didn't want to get into a debate about the show. I just have a hard time letting such assertions here about this wonderful, wonderful show go unaddressed. ;) )

Regardless of likes and dislikes, I think emtiem was simply pointing out that assuming old Doctor Who is the same as new Doctor Who is like assuming TYIJC is the same as the Indy movies (or visa versa). The point being, they are completely different animals that sit underneath the same umbrella... so we shouldn't judge one based solely on the other ;)

HJJNR

DocWhiskey said:
Same here. I hope this is all leading up to something and not just wishful thinking.

Absolutely, we only need to look at the "planned" sequel to Superman Returns to see how that works lol. Lots of hearsay and rumours but nothing official. I have the excitement in reserve fo Indy 5 and I'll release it when I get official confirmation hee hee. (That was verging on sexual innuendo lmao)

Darth Vile said:
Regardless of likes and dislikes, I think emtiem was simply pointing out that assuming old Doctor Who is the same as new Doctor Who is like assuming TYIJC is the same as the Indy movies (or visa versa). The point being, they are completely different animals that sit underneath the same umbrella... so we shouldn't judge one based solely on the other ;)

...and I think what Rocket was simply doing was be facetious, (oh that's me!:eek: ), as evidenced by the rather remarkable leap in vernacular...a change in tone that was leagues beyond anything in the conversation to that point.

To take that seriously is like trying to get some value from a Mr T quote beyond humor, (which is possible, but really!)

The point being, the comments are completely different animals that sit underneath the same umbrella... so we shouldn't judge one based solely on the other ;)

EddyW

For the time being, I don't even care if it's true or not, I'm completely enjoying the gossip mill that's been started with the semi-announcements we've been getting. In the end of course I really hope we'll get a 5th part, and according to the article, it's possible it would take place before skull so that Sean Connery could play Indy's dad again. Who knows. For now, I'm as happy as can be!

tocksic said:
There is a german website claiming to have heard that "anything is possible in Indy 5 and Henry Senior might return." Sounds kinda shady. They foreshadow Dad might not be dead and so Indys comment about brutal years is a misapprehension.

http://www.moviejones.de/news/showbiz-sean-connery-wird-wieder-indiana-jones-vater-spielen_709.html

No time to translate the article at the moment, sorry.

Here's the Irish story...

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/connery-set-for-indiana-jones-return-426901.html