The Future of the Franchise

• Spin-offs

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Recast/Reboot

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

curmudgeon

There's been a lot of discussion of what might come after Indy 5, but as far as I can find, there's no proper thread for the discussion.

I've listed as many of the scenarios as I could think of below. Let us know which ones you'd like to see, or if you'd like something else instead.

Traditional Sequel
Ford returns to lead Indiana Jones 6.

Recast Sequel
The James Bond model. A new actor is cast as Indy and the timeline rolls forward, but the character's newly found youth is never addressed.

Traditional Prequel
A younger actor is cast as Indy for a film set in the same continuity as the other films, but set at a point prior to the existing films. Could also feature Ford in bookends.

Traditional Spin-Off*
A film taking an established character or element from the first five films and making a movie about them in a time period that's close to or after Indy 5. Can exist in a different genre than the other Indy films. (Possibilities: Adult Short Round, one of Indy 5's newly introduced characters.)

Successor-Based Spin-Off*
The "Creed" model. A film that specifically features a character who plays a successor to Ford's Indy, perhaps even having Ford's Indy in a mentoring role. Required to stay within the Indiana Jones archaeological adventure genre.

Prequel Spin-Off*
The "Fantastic Beasts" or "Han Solo" model. The younger adventures of one the series' other established characters. Can exist in a different genre from the other Indy films. (Possibilities: Belloq, Henry Sr., Sallah, The Grail Knight, Mola Ram, one of Indy 5's newly introduced characters.)

Traditional Reboot
A new actor plays Indy in a new continuity that attempts to stay within the basic rules of the former series, while making some slight changes. Remakes and fresh stories are equally possible.

Re-Imagined Reboot
A new continuity that banks on the "Indiana Jones" name but plays by it's own rules. Semi-modern, modern, and even futuristic stories are possible.

(*For the sake of discussion, let's assume any spin-offs would have some kind of "From the world of 'Indiana Jones'" branding or label somewhere in their marketing.)

seasider

I have a hard time seeing Ford doing an Indy 6 unless Spielberg pulls a Peter Jackson and does 2 movies back to back or shoots those movies with 1-3 years between them. Of course you never know with Ford. He just loves playing that character.

I think it's inevitable that Indy will eventually be recast but it probably won't be a complete reboot. We're dealing with a character who we've only seen in 4 movies (putting aside the Young Indy series for a minute) so only a handful of adventures and we know from the movies he's been on several expeditions and adventures from his archaeology profession but he also apparently fought in World War II and spied on the Russians for a number of years. So there's plenty of options to explore there while staying in that same Indy universe Spielberg, Ford and Lucas created for us.

Udvarnoky

I feel like a reboot with a new actor is what's going to happen, because Disney will not want to stop at a fifth movie, and what's the point of buying an IP called "Indiana Jones" if you're going to make a new lead character?

My preference would be to stop making live action films once Ford is done, and instead follow up Indy 5 with animated films set in the 30s/40s for Harrison Ford to voice. To me that's the only tasteful way to move forward, but there's just no way the studio is going to be able to resist at least trying a reboot.

Z dweller

Great thread. (y)

The only movie types I'd be interested in watching are a Traditional Prequel or, possibly, a Traditional Reboot (if done intelligently and tastefully). Nothing else would work for me, here's why.

-Traditional Sequel: IMO Ford is way, waaay too old already - "Harry? Let it go."
-Recast Sequel: I have no interest in watching Indy in the 1970s or 80s.
-Traditional/Prequel Spin-Off: Nah, the series is too character-centered. Indy rules, everyone else is just an accessory.
-Successor-Based Spin-Off/Re-Imagined Reboot: We don't need this. I'd rather watch Lara or Nate.

Udvarnoky said:
My preference would be to stop making live action films once Ford is done, and instead follow up Indy 5 with animated films set in the 30s/40s for Harrison Ford to voice.
I would definitely dig an animated film, but frankly Old Ford sounds nothing like Young Ford. Might as well use a voice actor.

curmudgeon

and what's the point of buying an IP called "Indiana Jones" if you're going to make a new lead character?

Because of this argument, I'll point out that some of these are NOT mutually exclusive.

With so many studios going for universes and multi-track series, as Star Wars has, it could easily be the case that they can do more than one of these film models at a time. You could have a traditional prequel one year and a successor film the next, and a prequel spin-off the year after that, and so on in a continuing rotation.

So having a new lead character for one track isn't a deterrent from that track happening as long as other tracks keep the Indiana Jones character around.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect a Traditional Prequel set T-100 years. Like the push to screen John Carter 100 years after the novel. Sign an actor born in 1998 for 50 years. Shoot for 2 or 3 movies a decade. They seem young but if it doesn't work they can always try again in the 1930s/2030s.

IndyForever

Unless Spielberg wants to make an Indy 5 + 6 back to back then Ford is unlikely to return. I think with the amount of pre-production time they are taking its still a distinct possibility Spielberg will make 2 Ford Indy movies back to back or with a small gap between the 2. If 5 goes well production & story wise I can see Ford & Spielberg saying to each other lets revisit it for 1 final adventure before its gets too old.

Henry Jones VII

I would apply a similar scenario just like Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade.

Cast a new actor to make a pre-titles sequence circa 20's/30's, and the rest of the movie with Harrison in his last adventure as Indy.

On Indy 6 we would back in time to Indy's first treasure hunts with the new guy as Henry Jones Jr

Face_Melt

Traditional sequel - hits theatres in 2021 for the 40th anniversary of Raiders.
If Harrison can play Indy at 77 then he can play Indy at 79.

Walecs

Face_Palm said:
Traditional sequel - hits theatres in 2021 for the 40th anniversary of Raiders.
If Harrison can play Indy at 77 then he can play Indy at 79.

This. (y) I really hope they will write Indy 5 and 6 together (possibly as two parter) with a 2 year gap between their releases. This year Ford would have a year to rest before starting shooting again. :whip:

First post!

I would love a Short Round movie. Perhaps Indy 6 is Creed-style sequel where Indy and Short Round are re-united, only Short Round is angry with Indy over not keeping in touch as he looked at him as a father. Some posters mentioned Short Round as villainous at first, maybe a gangster who finds a better path. Then after that, go the James Bond route and just continue in the 40s with a different actor. Spin offs in between if audiences like the direction like Star Wars.

Walecs

hismasterplan said:
First post!

I would love a Short Round movie. Perhaps Indy 6 is Creed-style sequel where Indy and Short Round are re-united, only Short Round is angry with Indy over not keeping in touch as he looked at him as a father. Some posters mentioned Short Round as villainous at first, maybe a gangster who finds a better path. Then after that, go the James Bond route and just continue in the 40s with a different actor. Spin offs in between if audiences like the direction like Star Wars.

According to the Lost Journal of Indiana Jones, he did. Granted, Disney will probably ignore the expanded adventures, but I'd rather them not.

Joe Brody

Agreed, great thread.

Logic says Re-Imagined Reboot but I have to hedge when a thoughtful (historically), period specific films like Tarzan falter.

Though the live action Beauty and Beast just did well this weekend and is on its way to 1BN, so who is to say how much risk Disney is willing to take to restart the franchise. Watch Wonder Women this June. It's performance may be telling on whether Disney is willing to go back to the early part of the century (i.e., before 1936 with a new, younger Indy).

That said, given how much Kennedy has skewed Star Wars female, I don't think we get a Ms. Indiana Jones (especially with Tomb Raider getting rebooted) -- not that I would mind with the right talent under the hat.

Randy_Flagg

I know this won't happen, but I think possibly the best solution would be to make a spin-off prequel series about a 30-something year old Abner Ravenwood.

First of all, he has a pretty awesome name that would work great in a movie title: "Abner Ravenwood And The ______" has the same kind of fun, pulpy sound to it that the Indiana Jones movies have always had.

And since he was something of a mentor to Indy, it would make sense for his adventures to be somewhat similar to Indy's adventures. Plus, they'd take place in the past, which I, personally, feel works better for this sort of thing than if they did a sequel spin-off about one of Indy's students or whatever.

And, finally, the most obvious advantage is that they wouldn't need to recast Indy. We've never seen Abner, so audiences would be much more accepting of whoever plays him (within reason, of course) than they would be of any attempts to recast Indy as a younger guy.

But, as others have said, it's unlikely that Disney would buy the Indy name, and then NOT use the name or character in future movies. So this probably won't happen, but I do think it would be a good way to make more "Indy" movies, despite the fact that they wouldn't be about Indy.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
I don't think we get a Ms. Indiana Jones (especially with Tomb Raider getting rebooted) -- not that I would mind with the right talent under the hat.

*cough* Charlize Theron *cough*

3896d8d12f845b37551e99c5a48e0ecd.jpg

Last edited:

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
*cough* Charlize Theron *cough*

[In my best Brad Pitt Fight Club voice]Exactly!

In all seriousness, Theron's performance in Fury Road had more Indiana Jones in it than anything Chris Pratt has ever put forth (and I'm a MCU junkie).

. . . .thinking about how Theron would work in the role. Since she is a little older, I would start with a story with a younger intro played by a young action vet, someone like Chloe Grace Moretz.

chloe-grace-moretz.jpg

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
Since she is a little older, I would start with a story with a younger intro played by a young action vet, someone like Chloe Grace Moretz.

Wait till you see Atomic Blond before you decide this premise.

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
Wait till you see Atomic Blond before you decide this premise.

Wow. Looks like a heck of a movie -- like one from the '90's. Can't wait.

[. . .though, sadly, Ms. Theron isn't exactly looking young -- even accounting for the period lighting and the special effects makeup in half the scenes.]

Face_Melt

Joe Brody said:
Wow. Looks like a heck of a movie -- like one from the '90's. Can't wait.

[. . .though, sadly, Ms. Theron isn't exactly looking young -- even accounting for the period lighting and the special effects makeup in half the scenes.]

She's 41. Wasn't Harrison Ford 39 when filming Raiders? 42 for Doom and 47 for Crusade?