Hot Toys Indiana Jones Figure

Dino Last

Billy Ray said:
That proto pic does look really good, I agree. Unfortunately the final product doesn't look quite that good. For some reason, I never took any pics of him without the hat (will do today), but here is the best shot of his head that I have right now:

IMG_06511.JPG

Nowhere near as good as the proto images IMO. It's a shame too, because I really dig Medicom's Henry Sr.

But hey, don't get me wrong, just like my kids, I love all my Indy figures:whip:

More pics can be seen here:

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/showgallery.php/cat/1843

Medicom did do a better job with KOTCS Indy, but it still needs a good repaint

Billy Ray

Ok, I got him all geared up, here are a few pics. I am not the world's best photographer by any stretch of the imagination. These shots do give the appearance of the "guy liner" but, as others have said, it's really not there in hand.

IMG_44722.JPG

IMG_4474.JPG

IMG_4473.JPG

Here's a look at the shoes, which really turned out fantastic. This pic doesn't convey the weathering that they have at all, but it is there in hand;

IMG_4481.JPG

Here's a shot of the whip, which it turns out does have a wire inside that runs about halfway through the length of it:

IMG_4483.JPG

And here is a look inside his bag, which actually has several compartments inside (my wife was impressed with that for some reason). I've got his notebook and Browning stowed inside:

IMG_44841.JPG

A few observations:

- The gunbelt, holster, and web belt aren't black as they appear in most photos. The holster and belt are about the color of his jacket and the web belt is a really dark brown, but not black.

- The revolver has a working hammer and the cylinder pops out (much easier than on the SS revolver)

- The Browning has a working slide and hammer and appears to have a real metal barrel. I don't believe the magazine is removable though (I tried, but not real hard)

- Both pistols, though plastic, have a very nice metallic look to them.

- As mentioned by others, the bag strap is not adjustable, which kind of sucks a little.

- His pants have real pockets!

- The jacket is just about the perfect thickness and is lined.

- On mine, the seem when using the "hat hair" hairpiece is a little more noticable than the non hat hair (which is barely noticeable). Could be I just need to mess with it a bit, but it's not noticeable when wearing the hat, so kind of a moot point.

- The pedestal is really pretty heavy/sturdy.

- Last, but not least, pictures just don't do this figure justice (I know that's been said a million times about a million figures). I look at these pics, and still don't see what I see in hand. I think Craze's pics are the closest I have seen to the real thing.

I'll post more/better pics tomorrow, I haven't really got to spend a lot of time with the figure. I'll throw up some comparison shots to the SS and Medi figures if anyone wants too but, bottom line, out of the three, Hot Toys is my favorite.

Billy Ray

So this is what I came home to today...

<object width="160" height="120" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/299313770080293" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/299313770080293" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="160" height="120"></embed></object>

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
Ok, I got him all geared up, here are a few pics.

He looks great in those photos. And it's the first time I think anyone's taken a picture of the inside of the respirator bag. HT went into a lot of extra detail there.

I noticed in another photo that the jacket has an inside pocket, and was thinking that maybe the Browning would fit in there, in lieu of a shoulder holster.

Billy Ray

Yeah, there is an interior pocket in the jacket. I'll give the Browning a try when I get home today. My wife wanted to kit out his man purse, as she has this thing for bags, so I let her. In the process, she removed the band from his notebook (which is in that front compartment) and I found it on the kitchen floor this morning!

This is my first Hot Toys figure, so maybe this is the norm, but I was surprised at the level of detail on things like the bag, the pants pockets, the shoes, the weapons. Just really, really great!

My only real complaint with him so far is that the belt keeper on his gunbelt came off! I'm not sure if it was just glued or what. I'm hoping I can either fix it, or maybe come up with a metal one...I've got some ideas.

I will be taking a lot more pics today when I get home.

Billy Ray

Rocket Surgeon said:
Nice glimpse...but where the hell is/was he!:confused:

Well, my wife wrapped it in wrapping paper (I saved my Christmas money from last Christmas for this) and stuck it in my son's closet. It was pretty easy to see, but I was looking for the Hot Toys box, not a wrapped gift. I must have looked at it 3 or 4 times. She kept giving me hints like, "Well, if you wait for the kids to all get home, they can help you find it" and, "You should really wait till Michael gets home to open it anyway". I was looking in all the off the wall places, that she usually hides things, but it was pretty much hiding in plain sight, as it was right on the front of the shelf and his closet was open. She even told me it was "disguised", but I couldn't figure out what that meant.

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
Yeah, there is an interior pocket in the jacket. I'll give the Browning a try when I get home today. My wife wanted to kit out his man purse, as she has this thing for bags, so I let her. In the process, she removed the band from his notebook (which is in that front compartment) and I found it on the kitchen floor this morning!

This is my first Hot Toys figure, so maybe this is the norm, but I was surprised at the level of detail on things like the bag, the pants pockets, the shoes, the weapons. Just really, really great!

The DX01 Joker was my first Hot Toys - the most I'd ever spent on a figure. But the level of detail was stunning, right down to the grubby, worn look of his overcoat, the 'silk' lining, all the pockets, and even tiny working safety pins that pin the grenades inside his coat. I never regretted spending the money.

The next three were a bulk purchase of Ursus and the Gorilla soldiers, which were second hand, yet boxed as new. And based on the quality and wow factor of all those, I pre-ordered Indy. I never expected there would have been all debate over quality and likeness as there has been.

Billy Ray said:
My only real complaint with him so far is that the belt keeper on his gunbelt came off! I'm not sure if it was just glued or what. I'm hoping I can either fix it, or maybe come up with a metal one...I've got some ideas.

Something similar happened to the whip keeper on my Sideshow Indy as soon as I took him out. I had to glue a magnet back on.

Billy Ray said:
I will be taking a lot more pics today when I get home.

Looking forward to seeing them!

Billy Ray

This being my first experience with PERS, I have to admit that it creeps me out just a little when I see his eyes move :eek:

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
This being my first experience with PERS, I have to admit that it creeps me out just a little when I see his eyes move :eek:

The Joker was especially creepy! Once I set his eyes the way I wanted them, I left the PERS alone. It's a bit of a gimmick really, but great if you have a specific scene in mind to create.

The system has come quite a way since the old Eagle Eyes Action Man!

3969101819_1973aca97d.jpg

OneSixthBruce, the UK supplier where my Indy is pre-ordered, posted this on his Facebook:

PLEASE NOTE..
HOT TOYS recent releases are from the Official Hot Toys shop 'Toy Hunters', they are not released to suppliers yet, this is normal.

Pictures you see on various forums/blogs are from purchases from the official Hot Toys store - official suppliers get stock normally a few weeks after.

This is in reply to the 100's of emails we have been getting asking about Superman/Capt America/ Indy releases - (Indy is not that far off as our supplier is getting stock soon)
Thanks - OSB

Last edited:

Dino Last

Oh no Wofford29 bought one and has just reviewed it
I like the guy, but he's notoriously hard to please, so it's no shock to know he does not like the sculpt. Now they trolls are jumping up and down with joy.

Billy Ray

Well, he does kind of have a point about the jaw/neck gap thing. I didn't know that wasn't typical for HT figures...I'll have to look at some pics I guess. What is funny is that he seems down on the sculpt as a whole, and then his pics prove quite the opposite.

Whatever...I mean, I don't expect everyone to be happy, but for crying out loud, I don't knwo what some people expect :rolleyes:

BTW, I've got some new pics on the way (y)

Billy Ray

And here they are. When I took these shots I didn't know they would come out looking like high school yearbook photos. That's a solid blue background, not sure where the "cloud" came from. Perhaps it's some sort of paranormal entity. Tried to get some different angles, so as to avoid being accused of favoring one nostril or the other ;)

IMG_4502.JPG

IMG_4505.JPG

IMG_4512.JPG

IMG_4511.JPG

IMG_4520.JPG

IMG_45253.JPG

IMG_45271.JPG

IMG_4530.JPG

IMG_45291.JPG

Billy Ray

Ok, here are some comparison pics with the SS and Medicom Indys

IMG_45322.JPG

IMG_45401.JPG

IMG_45412.JPG

IMG_45362.JPG

IMG_45372.JPG

IMG_45381.JPG

IMG_4539.JPG

(L to R) SS, HT, Medicom

IMG_45451.JPG

(L to R) HT, SS

IMG_45861.JPG

(L to R) SS, HT, Medicom

IMG_45421.JPG

I think Medicom wins this one, the sculpt of the HT head piece is pretty soft in comparison and the "crystal" is just painted on, whereas the Medicom one is actual translucent plastic.

IMG_45522.JPG

Dino Last

I don't get me wrong that gap under the chin is a big WTF, why on earth did Hot Toys make it like that for?

As for the idols, what would you say is the best? I like Medicom's sculpt, but the paint ruins it. The Hot Toys one looks to be overly golden, and a bit too shiny.
Also it's a shame nobody has had a good go at making the idol's eyes look like they do in the movie

Billy Ray

Nice shots, and he looks great with those upgrades! The Kato jacket looks a lot better on this figure than the Sovereign Studios one IMO. The Sovereign looks a little tight, but the Kato seems to fit perfectly.

Here are some shots I took last night, using the back drop, and playing around with the lighting:

IMG_45512.JPG

IMG_45552.JPG

IMG_4560.JPG

IMG_4562.JPG

IMG_4563.JPG

IMG_4567.JPG

IMG_4570.JPG

IMG_4571.JPG

IMG_45741.JPG

IMG_4578.JPG

IMG_4579.JPG

IMG_4583.JPG