Why Aliens? Why the 1950s?

Raiders90

Note: Before making this thread, I did a google cache search as well as an internal forum search for the terminology "Why Aliens" to see if a similar thread had been made. I couldn't find any thread. But if there is one, and I didn't notice it, simply link me to it or merge with this one. Thanks.

Anyway, on to the main topic.
Why did George Lucas jump so far ahead in time for Indy 4? I'm not talking about the final product that we got in 2008; I'm talking simply about the concept of the film. George first got the idea for doing a fourth Indiana Jones film while working with Harrison on the Mystery of the Blues episode of Young Indy in December 1992. By 1993-1994, scripts were being drafted. From what we know, all of the scripted ideas revolved around aliens, and were set in a time at least a decade after LC. The draft from March 1995 that surfaced online is set in 1949, for example, and George noted often he wanted a '50s setting.

My question is, why? Why did George never even CONSIDER any other idea, one that didn't involve aliens? In the early '90s, there were still PLENTY of non-alien paranormal storylines that hadn't been mined yet. Consider the Fate of Atlantis storyline or storylines of many of the Indy comics and novels and the storylines or macguffins of later Indy inspired films such as The Mummy and the Lara Croft films; All material which could've better fit an Indy film than aliens.

The early-mid '90s were a time when this field--the adventure/archaeology genre--belonged pretty much solely to Indiana Jones. A dozen different films could've been made in this period which might've been good, which wouldn't have had to deal with aliens. In the '90s, Harrison Ford was still young enough--in both years and age--to pull off being a "younger" Indy in a film set in the late late 30s or '40s. Spielberg was still a very vital director who still had a penchant for action, with Jurassic Park in 1993 and it's sequel in 1997.

The questions, then, are:

Why did George feel so strongly that ALIENS must be the focus of the next Indiana Jones film?

Why did George Lucas feel it necessary to jump ahead so many years in the Indy timeline, from LC in 1938 to the very late 40s/50s, despite Harrison still being relatively young and being a believable action star well into the '90s? Unless a series of prequels were made, having Indy 4 be set in the 50s--when the character was in his 50s-would sort of limit the character's ability to have future adventures

If Indy 4 had taken flight, if Steven and Harrison had agreed with George and the film was produced in the mid 90s (say around 1996 or so), do you think Lucas would've ever done the prequels? From what I've read it seems he only turned to working on the prequels after Steven and Harrison turned down his Indy 4 idea.

Toht's Arm

It's an interesting idea. If the 1995 script hadn't involved aliens, Spielberg and Harrison may indeed have been more keen to work on it. I hadn't ever thought about that...

Maybe Lucas simply didn't want to repeat that which had come before. I mean, the Saucermen from Mars script was radically different from the four Indy movies we have now... And maybe he thought a radical change might reinvigorate Spielberg's interest, since he'd said he was 'finished' with Indy.

The Drifter

The man made Star Wars and you're wondering why he wanted to use aliens in an Indiana Jomes film? I'm pretty sure Lucas was a fan of science-fiction. Simple as that, I'd say.

Stoo

The Drifter said:
The man made Star Wars and you're wondering why he wanted to use aliens in an Indiana Jomes film? I'm pretty sure Lucas was a fan of science-fiction. Simple as that, I'd say.
Wiser words were never spoken, Drifter.;) There's no mystery behind this.

I Don Quixote

The Drifter said:
I agree. I believe, as well as others, that Indy moving into the '50's symbolizes Indy aging, but staying the same as time marches on.

Montana Smith

George...wanted...flying...saucers...in...1978...

George Lucas said:
Our idea was that there must actually be some kind of super high-powered radio from one of Erick Von Daniken's flying saucers.

It just took thirty years before a weary Spielberg gave up protesting.

Montana Smith said:
George...wanted...flying...saucers...in...1978...
...this, ladies and gentlemen, is the result of short term exposure to the genitals of a Shanghai Lounge Act. Notice the stunted speech coupled with disjointed logic. Particularly disturbing is the sad notion that this subject stood on line days, sacrificing his higher faculties both phisiological and spiritual to ultimately spend his days losing the majority of the gruel which will remain standard fare for the rest of his days from the corners of his grimly downturned and listfully unfocused countenance.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
...this, ladies and gentlemen, is the result of short term exposure to the genitals of a Shanghai Lounge Act. Notice the stunted speech coupled with disjointed logic. Particularly disturbing is the sad notion that this subject stood on line days, sacrificing his higher faculties both phisiological and spiritual to ultimately spend his days losing the majority of the gruel which will remain standard fare for the rest of his days from the corners of his grimly downturned and listfully unfocused countenance.

Opie.png

"Balu-la-lu. Balulu. Wuh! Wa-lul-la-lulalu!"

25634050.jpg

1288449_700b.jpg

Finn

Staff member
While there likely hasn't been a dedicated thread for this, the subject has been discussed pretty thoroughly before.

The whole alien thing stems from the concept that Indy's adventures are not supposed to be high adventures through and through, but instead pastiches to whichever genre that was prominent during the time they are set in. In the 30s, it was the classic adventure serial. In the 50s, cheap sci-fi.

Of course, after three films in the high adventure theme, Indy is pretty much eponymous with it, so they couldn't just make a film that resembles that B-scifi flick through and through. So we got the mixture of genres now known as Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

If Indy 5 is ever made with Harry still starring, it'll very likely take place in the 60s. In that case, you may expect to see a series of nods towards campy spy films.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
If Indy 5 is ever made with Harry still starring, it'll very likely take place in the 60s. In that case, you may expect to see a series of nods towards campy spy films.

Indy as the father:

austin_powers_in_goldmember_2002_500x336_437039.jpg

Mutt as the son:

Mike-Myers-Austin-Powers-1-.jpg

Henry Sr. as the Holy Ghost:

sean-connery-james-bond.jpg

When that happens, you'll all be wishing for the return of the aliens. ;)

Dr. Gonzo

Raiders112390 said:
If Indy 4 had taken flight, if Steven and Harrison had agreed with George and the film was produced in the mid 90s (say around 1996 or so), do you think Lucas would've ever done the prequels?

brit_wtf.gif

IndianaBones

A better Indy 4 couldve been better. Make the movie earlier and release it in the year 2000, have Slocombe shoot it, cater more to practical effects, get Lawrence Kasdan to work on the script, and have the artifact become relevant to aliens but not a straight up alien skull. Solved