Boardwalk Empire

TheMutt92

Just wondering if anyone out there has been keeping up w/ this great new show. It features a cast of prominent film actors such as Steve Buscemi (Reservoir Dogs, Fargo), Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road), Michael Stuhlbarg (A Serious Man), Stephen Graham (Snatch, Public Enemies), and Gretchen Mol (3:10 to Yuma) and is produced by Martin Scorsese, Mark Wahlberg, and Terence Winter.

So far I have enjoyed the first four episodes and look forward to keeping up w/ this in the future.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A9DCLv_6e5c?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A9DCLv_6e5c?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

TheMutt92

Season 2 is on its way (I still have yet to finish season 1, but so far its fantastic television):

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s-B8RjzOwG8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

phantom train

This sounds like a great show and I have a strong interest in seeing this. However, I don't have HBO. I will wait for the DVD to come out - hopefully a DVD set of the first season will be released soon.

TheMutt92

phantom train said:
This sounds like a great show and I have a strong interest in seeing this. However, I don't have HBO. I will wait for the DVD to come out - hopefully a DVD set of the first season will be released soon.

Other than the pilot episode (which I watched in a hotel room), I've managed to find the other episodes online. A date hasen't been announced for a DVD/Blu-Ray release, but I expect before Christmas (if not before the time season two rolls out).

DaFedora

Yup, it's a great cast and even some secondary characters are really likeable - Arnold Rothstein (Michael Stuhlbarg) as the intelligent entrepreneur/gambler/sports game rigger and Johnny Torrio (Greg Antonacci actually grew up in New York's tough Hell's Kitchen -talk about off-stage case experience).

Admittedly, Agent van Alden's role becomes all the more grim and extreme - but here's a guy who's growing impatient and frustrated over the FBI's bureaucratic threadmill and the social entrenchment of his 'Victorian', puritan lifestyle ...

*SPOILER*

I must admit I was not expecting van Alden to break his personal norms about family decency/wedlock loyalty... with Lucy Danziger, Atlantic's snottiest skank for God's sake (y)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
DaFedora said:
Yup, it's a great cast and even some secondary characters are really likeable - Arnold Rothstein (Michael Stuhlbarg) as the intelligent entrepreneur/gambler/sports game rigger...

Yeah, Rothstein is a real favorite of mine.

DaFedora said:
Admittedly, Agent van Alden's role becomes all the more grim and extreme - but here's a guy who's growing impatient and frustrated over the FBI's bureaucratic threadmill and the social entrenchment of his 'Victorian', puritan lifestyle ...

*SPOILER*

I must admit I was not expecting van Alden to break his personal norms about family decency/wedlock loyalty... with Lucy Danziger, Atlantic's snottiest skank for God's sake (y)

It's just such lazy, easy characterization, the hypocritical crusader with his own odd perversions. The performance is rather good, overall, but the character is a blot on the series.