New Acquisitions!!

tnswman

blueseattle said:
Ouch. That was a bit harsh.

Not at all, It is a reasonable question and thought. I probably keep up with the new paint app process more than most people and I TOLD everyone what was coming in the newer cases.. Those that didn't believe me then KNOW I was being honest NOW as they hold their BETTER painted figures in their hands!

At some point, one has to realize that this is as good as it is going to get. reaching that point is a VERY personal choice. As long as you don't become unreasonable about it, then you will get what you want. if not..sorry, you just expect too much.

tnswman

Picked up a TON of books today....will post pics in a bit...The books are not all being released at the same time.

so, More of my carpet covered with Indy stuff coming up.

blueseattle

tnswman said:
Not at all, It is a reasonable question and thought. I probably keep up with the new paint app process more than most people and I TOLD everyone what was coming in the newer cases.. Those that didn't believe me then KNOW I was being honest NOW as they hold their BETTER painted figures in their hands!

At some point, one has to realize that this is as good as it is going to get. reaching that point is a VERY personal choice. As long as you don't become unreasonable about it, then you will get what you want. if not..sorry, you just expect too much.

I just think you're gettin a little too heated... that's all. I appreciate your knowledge, but let's not get crazy here... this is a convo on toys, for Christ's sake.

Crayfish

I found the Jungle Cutter today on way home from working 15 hours straight.

Too tired to open it.

Play with it tomorrow...off until Monday.

tnswman

blueseattle said:
I just think you're gettin a little too heated... that's all. I appreciate your knowledge, but let's not get crazy here... this is a convo on toys, for Christ's sake.

How is asking a question being heated...Obviously, you have not seen my heated side.

Kooshmeister

Regarding the issue of paint aps, I've been collecting Hasbro's Star Wars stuff long enough to know that with mass-market toys such as these they're not always going to be painted perfectly.

So when I get a new figure at the store, if I can, I'll choose whichever has the best paintjob. If there's only one of said figure on the pegs, I find it's unwise to pass it up, as I can get another one later. This is especially true of army builders. My first Death Star Trooper for instance, had a pretty lousy paintjob (the glossy black from his belt had gotten onto the duller black of his tunic), but I got him anyway since he was the only one there (this was early in the 30th Anniv. Collection's release so people were snapping up the brand-new figures like crazy).

Later, I found two other ones which had better paintjobs and bought them. Of course, with non-army builders this may not always be feasible unless one wants an army of Han Solo clones, but ever since my dog Max chewed up one of my two POTF2 Bossks back in '97, I've found that sometimes it is in fact wise to own a "backup" of a figure you like.

tnswman

Kooshmeister said:
Regarding the issue of paint aps, I've been collecting Hasbro's Star Wars stuff long enough to know that with mass-market toys such as these they're not always going to be painted perfectly.

So when I get a new figure at the store, if I can, I'll choose whichever has the best paintjob. If there's only one of said figure on the pegs, I find it's unwise to pass it up, as I can get another one later. This is especially true of army builders. My first Death Star Trooper for instance, had a pretty lousy paintjob (the glossy black from his belt had gotten onto the duller black of his tunic), but I got him anyway since he was the only one there (this was early in the 30th Anniv. Collection's release so people were snapping up the brand-new figures like crazy).

Later, I found two other ones which had better paintjobs and bought them. Of course, with non-army builders this may not always be feasible unless one wants an army of Han Solo clones, but ever since my dog Max chewed up one of my two POTF2 Bossks back in '97, I've found that sometimes it is in fact wise to own a "backup" of a figure you like.

Good point!! I know the days of people sitting in an action figure Isle with a magnifying glass looking at paint apps is pretty much over.

most collector's know that Mass Market means NOT PERFECT.

I mean, for $7 bucks, we are lucky they even have articulation much less museum quality paints apps.

On the othr side, I totally understand passing on figures with blotched eyes and such,,,However, I have not seen those figures since the 1st...They are LOOOONG gone and the new application figures are hitting hard.

Spalkomania

I've only spotted the Hasbro Indy figures for the 1st time today. :eek:
I picked up Raiders idol Indy. He looks quite a bit better in hand than some photos would indicate. Luckily I found one with decent eyes.

Marty Jones

tnswman said:
On the othr side, I totally understand passing on figures with blotched eyes and such,,,However, I have not seen those figures since the 1st...They are LOOOONG gone and the new application figures are hitting hard.

I have yet to see a really solid batch of Indy figures. I've gotten lucky on a few (picked out maybe 6 or 7 from about 120 figures or so thus far). One of my local stores is getting four new cases in today (along with one case of vehicles - hopefully I can pick up my cargo truck). I'll let you know if the paint app situation has been amended or if the factory is still rolling out laziness.

Mass produced may not be able to be perfection, but Hasbro's Star Wars line (among many other lines) is miles above the sloppy work that's been seen on the Indy stuff. They can do a lot better.

So far I've picked up perfect versions of the following:

• Cairo Indiana Jones
  • Marion Ravenwood
  • Sallah
  • German soldier (x2)
  • Cemetary Warrior (x2)
  • German solider 2 pack (x2)
  • Troop car

I have seen multiples of EVERY figure, however, and almost all of them have one of the following:

• Googly eyes (sloppy paint, pupils that are different sizes, too low, too high, drooping, etc.)
  • Messy belt buckles (it looks sometimes like they were painted while blindfolded or during an earthquake)
  • Smudges on the face
  • Hairlines where the paint runs half way down the figure's forehead or makes the figure look like its balding
  • Buttons where the paint is literally right beside the sculpted button (how can they miss by THAT much)?
  • Beards that are extremely thick on one side (so that it looks like Indy got some mud on his face) and almost non-existent on the other

The list goes on and on and on...

phantom train

Finally found the rest of the IJ figures I wanted @ Target:

* Russian Soldier
* Cem. Warrior
* IJ w/Horse

Great figures, w/good detail.

I would have preferred that the Horse was white like it was in the film instead of gray, but it does look very detailed. I like the detail on the saddle. Overall, I would have to say it looks better than the vintage IJ horse.

Saw the Jungle Cutter, but passed because I'm spending way too much $ on the IJ figures - I may change my mind after I see the film.

Now I'm ready for the LC wave...

bonoferox

New KOTCS poster came in yesterday after I had gotten one from a local theater (it's nice to make friends :))

So I returned it back to the starwarsshop since they took just a little too long for it to get here.

The Tingler

Got meself a Raiders poster, which I've always wanted but never been able to find! It'll go nicely alongside my Last Crusade and Crystal Skull ones! Got a few new toys too!

Gonna get one more 3 3/4 inch figure today. Your advice: Dovchenko or Cemetery Warrior?

Marty Jones

I think my previous post sounded a little too negative, maybe. While I've been upset over what I would describe as laziness on Hasbro's part, I have to say - when I do find figures that are well painted, they really are something special. I am digging this line and I hope it continues long enough to get into the realm of the obscure (like Star Wars has). :whip:

bonoferox

The Tingler said:
Got meself a Raiders poster, which I've always wanted but never been able to find! It'll go nicely alongside my Last Crusade and Crystal Skull ones! Got a few new toys too!

Gonna get one more 3 3/4 inch figure today. Your advice: Dovchenko or Cemetery Warrior?

Cemetery Warrior all the way if you can find one. One of the best figures out there!

Marty Jones

bonoferox said:
Cemetery Warrior all the way if you can find one. One of the best figures out there!

I agree. He can be a little togher to find than some of the others, but he's a really nice figure. In fact, he was the first one I bought. He's also one of the easiest to find with good paint apps (because there isn't a lot to screw up). (y)

I still need one more to have my three.