Favorite Scene In Indiana Jones 4

oki9Sedo

caats said:
at least it wasn't the 4 in Darabont's script

All the people who previously bawled "Woe betide me! Why, oh, WHY couldn't they have used Darabont's script?" from the rooftops must realize that all of the problems they found with Koepp's script were present in Darabont's too.

It was arguably worse. A giant snake eating Indy? FOUR waterfalls? There were far more references too, and they were largely distasteful.

sandiegojones

Darabont is overrated. He made 2 good movies from stories written by someone else. When he has to be original, he stinks.

I'm sure for Lucas it had nothing to do with Darabonts dialogue, but how the situations unfolded. If Lucas thought Darabont went too far then it may have been really campy.

oki9Sedo

sandiegojones said:
Darabont is overrated. He made 2 good movies from stories written by someone else. When he has to be original, he stinks.

Based on the quality of the films he has directed though, I was surprised by his lack of taste in that script.

A jokey reference with a drunken Indy preparing to remove the Golden Idol from a pressure-sensitive pad in a museum cabinet? One silly self-referential moment like that is passable, but there were many.

the ox

agreed - city of gods was MORE over the top. but indy was more of a bad ass in it which would have been fun!

caats

oki9Sedo said:
All the people who previously bawled "Woe betide me! Why, oh, WHY couldn't they have used Darabont's script?" from the rooftops must realize that all of the problems they found with Koepp's script were present in Darabont's too.

It was arguably worse. A giant snake eating Indy? FOUR waterfalls? There were far more references too, and they were largely distasteful.

i agree, i really was expecting something good when i read it. but there were some really crappy stuff in there. the nuke was there. it was depressing too, Indy was this sad lonely guy. the meeting between him and Marion seemed totally random. not to mention he flies from one airplane to one behind it. and in the tarzan scene it's INDY chasing OX's character.

The Golden Idol

I like the entire first hour, almost flawless with what they had to work with... and yes, I like the nuke scene.

It's the second hour of the movie that has a lot of problems.

Udvarnoky

oki9Sedo said:

Except they weren't, because the real problems with Indy4 had nothing to do with waterfalls, CGI, nukes, or monkeys.

the ox

i said the CITY OF GODS script featured a more bad ass indy because i felt like there was more action involving indy. a lot more. the river chase stuff would have been cool! i thought the script overall was more fun for a "fan" - liked the cheesy closing line even. i don't mind over the top ... temple of doom was over the top.

as for favorite scene - the whole "blow dart" bit was cool ... but i liked the escape from the warehouse part the best. whole opening/first half was strong in my opinion.

I loved the Indy vs. Dovenchenko fights especially the warehouse scene where Indy swings down on the chain and kicks him into the control room:hat: :hat:

swashbuckler

Favorite moment

My favorite moment is when the Russians crashed into a statue of Marcus and Mutt laughed at them, looks at Indy, Indy is frowning and Mutt has a look of disappointment on his face. That just cracks me up. That also happened in Last Crusade, during the motorcycle chase at the Austrian-German border, where Indy sticks a piece of a pole into a pursuer's wheel, sending him flying. He laughs looks at his father who doesn't seem amused. Like father like son.

Miss bubbles

I LOVED the oening sequence and the sandpit scene and all of the 'we all turn into our parents' moments and what the heck i loved th whole thing:D

Dewy9

So many great moments, sure there a few misses (as with every movie), but I'm absolutely a pig in slop from the time Indy says "You got it pal" to the time he's getting the scrubbing from the biohazard guys. Specifically the part where Indy's running along the crates, swings and misses lol. That's what I always invisioned Indy's adventures not in the movies as being- a lot of swinging from the whip and cool stuff like that. I loved the previz where he gets his feet on the back of the car Spalko's driving.

I'm also a big fan of the chase scenes in Marshall College and the jungle. There pretty slapstick in that the characters go from one car to the other, get matched up with their enemies, etc. One of the best little moments is when Indy and Spalko are slamming into one another along the cliff, Ox is having a blast. :D

Oh yeah, and the dart scene at the graveyard. How can you not like that?

MarxBrosFan

Intro

The warehouse scene was my favorite sequence of the movie. Indy was the center of the action, there was a lot of mystery surrounding the Alien skeleton, and I loved the setting. I even liked the Fridge scene.

Dr.Jonesy

1.) Area 51/Warehouse Chase and Escape
2.) Doomtown/Nuclear Bomb and Fridge (Yes, the fridge was so ridiculous, it's brilliant!)
3.) Drag Race
4.) Indy interrogation w/ Spalko, looking into Crystal Skull's Eyes
5.) Ending with Alien/Temple/Flying Saucer
6.) Searching for Skull in Graveyard
7.) Motorcycle Chase
8.) Indy/Dovchenko fight around Ants
9.) Jungle Chase. (Except for Monkeys, that was...just unbearable)

Udvarnoky

My favorite scene is probably the very first one -the stretch from the Lucasfilm logo to when we cut to the interior of the warehouse. The 50s feel is well established, the location scenery is excellent (you just can't replicate those New Mexico landscapes), Indy gets a good intro, and the whole sequence after Hound Dog fades away has this wonderful, somewhat eerie feeling to it (I love the sundown skyline). I was pretty intrigued throughout.

Objectively speaking, there are probably other scenes in the movie at least as good, but for that first time not knowing what would happen afterward, the opening scene just, perhaps unfairly, carried so much promise and potential to me. Indy had a nice intro, the dragging of the dead soldiers' bodies seemed an indication of some decent stakes, Mac's first few seconds were extremely promising, and I really dug the crazy mindreading stuff they seemed to be going for with Spalko. Little did I know that they would never bring it up again. Again, a lot of the reason I like the first scene is possibly psychological, as at that point the rest of the movie can still be whatever you want it to, but I really think Indy4 made a good first impression, and it really felt like everyone was in their top game in the first shots. Even Williams' music seemed at its best in this sequence, as I love the Spalko and (woefully underused - and where the **** is it on the album) soldiers' theme.

Kingsley

Indy totally lost in Doomtown... I got a DVD for the first time the other day and that was the part I wanted to see. Great.

oki9Sedo

Opening credits.

Favourite shot: when the college students and the convoy part ways at the junction and everything gradually goes silent.

Benraianajones

Udvarnoky, I agree the first portion has lots of scenes that are great. You see the car go past the screen, "Hound Dog" playing, blue clear sky, nice scenery, it all seems so fun, but in reality something a bit more sisnister boiling underneath it all. And it really does feel as if it is 19 years (and it is) since the events of Last Crusade, and the loss of the grail and so on, and life has moved on.

I really liked Spalko's psychic part, why on Earth didn't they use it a bit more? Even a small scene of her head aching from sensing Akator was near or had been reached by Indy? The first half really does feel Indiana Jones. Not that I dislike the movie, I do like it, but the middle to end is obviously different.

Saying that, other parts of movie I like - the tent scene when Irina smirks when Indy questions the skulls origins, and when she whispers during the "staring at the skull" scene what her plans are.

I like the jungle chase, even the sword fight on the trucks, I think I know what the real "problem" is with that it though, not the CGI shrubbry (who cares about that), but the music John used. He states for Mutt's jungle segments he did a "Robin Hood/Swashbuckling young man" kind of theme, but I think it made the sword fight part seem more "Peter Pan" that it really is. If he had used a more tense, serious musical section, it'd have helped a lot more. Especially since Irina is said in her dossier to be very dangerous, and here she is in combat with a sword.

I don't mind the monkeys jumping on the Russian truck, they aren't specifically attacking Irina if you look, some are just sat on the back looking around in actual fact. The just copy Mutt (monkey see, monkey do) and land on the jeep. I don't like the Tarzan bit though.

I do like when the jeep Irina is in comes from the bushes and lands on Indy's car following the "whoa!" parts, that is amusing. I can imagine that in Indiana Jones, especially Last Crusade, along the lines of "Don't get any closer than that!", and TOD "See, that wasn't so bad, was it?".

I like the scene where the rooms rotating and you hear the skeletons wooshing by the screen as knowledge is shot in Spalko's eyes. Though I think during her pleas for the eyes to be covered near the end we should have had a quick close up of her eyes, and the alien beings. I also think the aliens eyes should have been a very dark colour as if they have no soul, just to make it a bit scarier.

Last edited: