Shia says Indy 5 is 'cracked'

deckard24

Goonie said:
Same here. Indy IV was the first midnight premier I've been to, and I'll defintely be there for Indy V's midnight premier! (y)
I've only been to a couple, but they are always a lot of fun! KOTCS was the last one I went to, and Indy V will most likely be the next.

Originally Posted by Resident Alien
I can guarantee I won't be.

So honestly, will you even see it at all?

Jones Disciple

sandiegojones said:
There was also nothing sinister about the Sith either. Darth Maul was cool but had like 3 lines and then died. All that was left were a few old guys to fight Jedi.

Emperor Palpatine / Darth Sidious is probably one of the most sinister characters to be put on film. He (Or his master Darth Plagues) created Anakin Skywalker and used him to undermine the entire Jedi order. He also started a false war to gain political power and eventually declaired himself Emperor. You can?t have someone orchestrating these kinds of events and not at least give him the credit of beginning sinister.

And now back to Indy 5...

Forbidden Eye

deckard24 said:
Yeah the original trilogies remain intact, but that doesn't change the fact a lot of people look at the new installments as not up to snuff, and as a bit of a takeaway from the overall quality of the series. I obviously happen to be one of them, but I know I'm not alone, virtually everyone I've talked to that has enjoyed the original films but wasn't a diehard fan, found both the Star Wars prequels and Skull to be mehhh!

Just curious, what is the age-group of your friends? Having been around relatively young people, they all seem to accept the prequels, at least Revenge of the Sith, which is universally loved from what I see, outside the internet.

I do think age can have a factor.

deckard24

Forbidden Eye said:
Just curious, what is the age-group of your friends? Having been around relatively young people, they all seem to accept the prequels, at least Revenge of the Sith, which is universally loved from what I see, outside the internet.

I do think age can have a factor.
You've got a point, the age-group of my friends is late 20's early 30's, pretty much old enough to have grown up watching these flicks in the 80's.

Forbidden Eye

As far as Indy 5 goes, yeah, I'm excited, but it'll never come close to the excitement KOTCS get. The 19-year gap made the wait that much more eager to see an Indy film in theaters. It felt a lifetime was spent waiting for Indy 4. Indy 5 won't ever come close.

I do wish they get rid of Shia, even if he'll probably sadly be the draw for many young people. (n)

AlivePoet

ResidentAlien said:
I can guarantee I won't be.

Well, theoretically so can I, but that doesn't mean it won't happen anyway. :rolleyes: I think, given enough critical acclaim and word-of-mouth that it was faithful redemption for the Indy saga, you would see it if only to end the series on a higher note, no?

Goonie

What sucks now is we'll have to buy revised editions of:
  • The Complete Making of Indiana Jones
  • Indiana Jones The Ultimate Guide
  • The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones
;)
And I wonder if Titan magazines willl bring back a short-lived 6 issue revamp of the Indiana Jones magazine; just to promote the new movie.:rolleyes:

bennihana123

I hope that Frank Marshall's reasoning for a fifth film isn't "We had a great time making the last one", but "We're sorry, we can do better."

Silvor

According to Frank Marshall´s twitter things aren´t any further along than they´ve always been on Indy 5 it seems.
"The story for Indy5 is progressing. It is still in the research phase."
He says on his twitter.
I seem to recall it´s been in the research fase ever since Indy 4 came out, so this is a little disheartening.

Dr.Jonesy

AlivePoet said:
Funny, as I remember AICN initially loved the film when it first came out. So did many of the fans here... hasn't seemed to age well, has it?

Yes they did...I remember their reviews were the first ones I read.

Funny, it's always fashionable to hate something sometimes. You won't believe how much hate The Dark Knight has now on the web...

:rolleyes:

Darth Vile

AlivePoet said:
Funny, as I remember AICN initially loved the film when it first came out. So did many of the fans here... hasn't seemed to age well, has it?

Without wanting to offend anyone... I think AICN appeals to a certain "low brow" section of the population... Speaking generally, I strongly believe that the reason we have movies like 'Aliens v Predator: Requiem' inflicted upon us, is primarily BECAUSE that form of demographic exists to eat up that type of sh*t.

I'd also be wary of anyone, or any institution, whose opinion flutters and turns in the breeze.

emtiem

So in terms of writers: you'd imagine that Tintin is very close to Indy in feel; do you think he'd be interested in bringing the writing team from that onboard to Indy? I'd love Steven Moffat to be invloved but I'm sure he'd have no time left now he's head honcho on Doctor Who- but I know that Joe Cornish is a massive Indy fan and I'm sure Edgar Wright would be too. Might be a good injection of new blood.

DocWhiskey

Darth Vile said:
Without wanting to offend anyone... I think AICN appeals to a certain "low brow" section of the population... Speaking generally, I strongly believe that the reason we have movies like 'Aliens v Predator: Requiem' inflicted upon us, is primarily BECAUSE that form of demographic exists to eat up that type of sh*t.

I'd also be wary of anyone, or any institution, whose opinion flutters and turns in the breeze.

I hear you, Darth.

It was reputable, like, 10 years ago. Now? Not so much. It pretty much thrives on trendiness so it stays "popular" amongst the low brow conforming basement dwelling nerd's nerds. I stopped going there the second they said Ben Affleck embodied Daredevil in a way only achieved when Christopher Reeve embodied Superman. Seriously? Seriously?

Plus, is it just me or does Harry Knowles look like the offspring of an Orange Julius and a pile of rubber tires?

deckard24 said:
I've only been to a couple, but they are always a lot of fun! KOTCS was the last one I went to, and Indy V will most likely be the next.

So honestly, will you even see it at all?

Maybe.

tencharacters

Indy's Fist

AlivePoet said:
It is funny how these things happen. I remember Star Wars Episode One was gettting rather good reviews at first, then it all went to hell. I think we are living in very jaded & sarcastic times.

Indy's Fist

WeAreGoingToDie said:
The moment AICN fell back on masturbation analogies for film reviews, they lost all credibility.

Masturbation analogies? Really? Now that is just wrong! As I said before we seem to be living in very jaded & sarcastic times.