The Best Film of 2003........

00Kevin

Indyfan
Well, it's the last day of the year, we have seen all films to come this year, now it's time to decide....what was your favorite film of the year?

We had a lot of good ones...LOTR, Matrix 1 and 2, Shanghai Knights, Last Samaurai and X2...just to name few

but which one deserves the title of your favorite of 2003?????

well, LOTR is way up there, most people are ganna go with that...for me it's a hard choice....yeah, LOTR was great, but not my kind of movie..I'm reminded of Shanghai Knights, all those homages it had......

but for arguement's sake...I'm ganna give the no to X2: X-Men United

your turn

indydude

I really liked Pirates of the Caribbean, it had a cool story some awsome action sequences and a super hot chic. But return of the king was awsome, i am still trying to decide from the 2

Joe Brody

So what does it means to be 'the Best'?

If Best means most enduring or most successful at the box office, then you gotta go with RotK.

If Best means the most solidly put-together (good cast, story, etc.) entertaining movie of the year, then I'd like to see someone second-guess picks like Pirates or X2.

If Best means that a movie was something more -- say for example it gets under the audience's skin -- then there are movies like 'Mystic River' or RotK (I use RotK as an example because I saw everyone from elderly couples to high school kids visibly balling in my showing of RotK).

If Best means something different, then there are movies like 'Lost in Translation'.

So for me, picking the best -- without simply resorting to subjective favoritism -- is a tough call. It's hard to ignore the success and emotional impact of RotK -- but the movie's length and the prolonged ending have alienated enough of the audience that it's hard to go with RotK. If you watch 'The Rock' and Pirates back-to-back, you see just how much of a formula Bruckheimer movie Pirates really was (right down to the music) -- but I ackowledge that the movie is unique due to Depp's performance. While I love 'Lost in Translation' and 'Mystic River' neither had broad appeal and it seems that both should be rejected because they were smaller (safer) pictures.

So by process of elimination, I'm going to be the second to say X2. It had great performances, and a great script and editing that deftly handled more plotlines than any other film I can remember in recent memory. X2 was successful at the box office and got good reviews despite critics all too ready to declare the super-hero action movie dead. Plus, I was pumping adrenline for a good hour after seeing X2.

[Edited by Joe Brody on 12-31-2003 at 10:42 pm]

Webley

BEST of 03

The League of Extrordinary Gentelmen.

The only way it could have been better is if it was called "The League of Raven Message Board Members"

intergamer

What's the deal with not picking LOTR? Its one of the greatest movies I've ever seen! I pick LOTR 5 times in the stead of everyone else who did not pick LOTR just for the sake of not picking LOTR.

Then, for my pick, I choose Space Station, the IMAX movie.

bob

Gotta be Return of the King I am afraid

As much as i enjoyed Pirates it remains a popcorn flick.

While ROTK is a unique experience which breaks the mould of convention, is truly epic in scope, and has some extremely memorable performances (even if it is just a bit long...); it has restored my faith in the event films.

intergamer

Re: FotR Back-Lash

Renderking Fisk said:
intergamer said:
What's the deal with not picking LOTR?
Don?t pass on it because you think it?s just about a horse, it?s a story of redemption.

?You don?t throw something away because of a few hard knocks.?

[Edited by Renderking Fisk on 01-02-2004 at 09:33 am]

...Just Like Every Other Movie, Ever...

Redemption is <i>the</i> movie archetype. Name one movie which does not involve redemption. Every single movie is about redemption.
That said, I hate movies that are about redemption. But I like LoTR.

In the interest of fairness, I do have one complaint about RotK - the lava at the end was very unrealistic, as were the undeads to a certain extent. Interesting about the lava - it looks terrible, but in just the same way as the water in the CGI scene in JB: DaD. In fact, the two scenes looked almost identical - RoTK had flowing lava rocks and DaD had icebergs. Too bad that they both made me cringe...why is it that we can't seem to get flowing liquids to animate realistically?

Joe Brody

Every single movie is about redemption?

That's a pretty broad statement, and I wonder what you mean by 'redemption'?

Do you mean redemption as in 'change for the better' or 'atone for past wrongs' -- or both.

00Kevin

Indyfan
well, looks like our pal sean wins, seeing as he's the only one with movie making experience

*and that's real movie making experience, not the stuff you did in the back yard when you were 16*

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
I have to go for ROTK. this movie is amazing, Tolkien's story is great and the visuals are breathtaking. No existing film has a more epic feeling than this one in my opinion. That said there is a downside to it: At the very end, when the Hobbits get back together and when they say goodbye, the acting is just wrong and it feels a little corny.

Pirates is my second favorite, it was a great surprise.

I saw Seabiscuit in the plane the other day, I didn't find it more than just entertaining, it at least kept me from falling asleep.

indydude

seabiscuit was a good movie, it had a good story. I am stuck between Pirates of the Caribbean and Lord of the Rings, "Pirates" was wildly entertaining and I really like that british chic Keira Knightley :) but "Rings" had the best scene in any 2003 movie, the battle of the pelanor fields, I might have to say that "Pirates" and "Rings" tie.