Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Gear and Props
User Name
Password

Old 01-25-2018, 03:35 PM   #26
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major West
I think he left HJ and took the block with him, because the HJ hats just don't quite look right now if you've been following their instagram.
This theory has been all but confirmed by HJ:

"We had new blocks made up using the vintage HJ blocks from our storage as our base design. The old blocks are in a terrible state...I am very happy with this block shape."-- Michelle

"Base design" seems to be the key phrase. The new blocks are apparently idealized re-imaginings based on what the current HJ team thinks the Raiders hat SHOULD look like. But Jack was using new molds cast off the original blocks, and took those blocks with him when he left HJ.

Jack.
eazybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #27
Major West
IndyFan

I see, that's interesting and unfortunate. I would look at John Penman, penmanhats.com for an alternative.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #28
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major West
I see, that's interesting and unfortunate. I would look at John Penman, penmanhats.com for an alternative.
Well, I was lucky enough to get one of Jack's "originals," but I feel sorry for anyone who wanted a Raiders hat made on the original block from HJ, but waited too long to order one for whatever reason. That era seems to be past history and was all-too short-lived.

Jack
Old 01-27-2018, 10:12 AM   #29
Major West
IndyFan

Yes the block is the thing. HJ without the block is just a name, as the business has changed hands several times over the years. Unlike say Wested, who had Peter Botwright still running Wested until very recently. (Rest in peace).

Fortunately there are a a handful of other hatters who can turn out a great looking screen accurate Raiders Fedora without charging the earth for it.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #30
eazybox
IndyFan

That's right, and unless I'm mistaken, I believe you can even get a vintage HJ liner with Advantage. Regarding screen accuracy combined with good value, I really like the examples I've seen from them. Although I don't own one, I've read nothing but glowing reviews of their hats.

Jack
Old 01-31-2018, 07:50 PM   #31
eazybox
IndyFan

Jack has posted on Facebook. He's hanging in there.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:55 AM   #32
eazybox
IndyFan

Just a note about a feature on which some members of COW have commented, and I have also noticed. One reason the Raiders crown looks taller in some scenes than in others may be the positioning of the ribbon. In the scenes where the crown appears a bit shorter, the ribbon may be hiked up about a quarter of an inch, making the crown appear shorter and the brim wider. This feature can be seen especially in some close-ups from the Streets of Cairo scenes, where the ribbon is clearly above the brim break (the point where the brim ends and the crown begins). On hats, small measurements can make a world of difference.

Jack
Old 09-05-2018, 12:11 AM   #33
eazybox
IndyFan

For anyone interested in updates on Jack's health, I have learned from a post on COW that Jack was suffering from advanced bowel cancer, and has either undergone or will soon undergo additional surgery. My prayers for a complete recovery are with him.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:09 PM   #34
damonbus
IndyFan

Can someone please post pictures of their Herbert Johnson Raiders Poet, I'm dying to see.
damonbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #35
damonbus
IndyFan

I just ordered the Raiders Beaver Poet, Iím so excited. Let the waiting begin.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #36
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbus
I just ordered the Raiders Beaver Poet, Iím so excited. Let the waiting begin.
You have chosen wisely-- if it's anything like the HJ reboot that I have. I was late seeing your question about overseas shipping on another thread before that thread was closed. You should be perfectly fine, but just to inform you, sometimes there are Customs delays, and occasionally the hats get bumped around a little during the inspection. They can take it and will just pop right back into shape.

HJ had been shipping FedEx Overnight,but that promotion may now be over. There used to be a duty on overseas packages(between $25 and $35 in my case, I believe) that you would have to pay at the time of the item's delivery, but I haven't had to do that in years and I think the duties are now pre-figured into the shipping costs.

I hope this covers it and that you enjoy your new Poet.

Jack
Old 10-07-2018, 01:00 AM   #37
damonbus
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazybox
You have chosen wisely-- if it's anything like the HJ reboot that I have. I was late seeing your question about overseas shipping on another thread before that thread was closed. You should be perfectly fine, but just to inform you, sometimes there are Customs delays, and occasionally the hats get bumped around a little during the inspection. They can take it and will just pop right back into shape.

HJ had been shipping FedEx Overnight,but that promotion may now be over. There used to be a duty on overseas packages(between $25 and $35 in my case, I believe) that you would have to pay at the time of the item's delivery, but I haven't had to do that in years and I think the duties are now pre-figured into the shipping costs.

Jack

Thanks for the info, I just hope nothing goes wrong or gets damaged.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #38
damonbus
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazybox

Jack

Do you have any recommendations for storing the hat when not in use? Also general maintenance?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #39
ThrowMeTheWhip
IndyFan

Quote:
Do you have any recommendations for storing the hat when not in use? Also general maintenance?

I hang mine on a coat rack. You can get a hat stand or store it in a hat box if you have the room.

Occasionally brush it with a hat brush. If it gets a little wet, pop it open crown to dry naturally. Donít try to dry it with heat. Once dry, pop the bash back in.

Lastly, only ever pick it up by the brim, never the pinch.

Thatís it, really. Donít stress it, and donít overthink it. Itís a perfectly durable thing and doesnít need an exorbitant amount of fussing.
ThrowMeTheWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #40
damonbus
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowMeTheWhip
I hang mine on a coat rack. You can get a hat stand or store it in a hat box if you have the room.

Occasionally brush it with a hat brush. If it gets a little wet, pop it open crown to dry naturally. Donít try to dry it with heat. Once dry, pop the bash back in.

Lastly, only ever pick it up by the brim, never the pinch.

Thatís it, really. Donít stress it, and donít overthink it. Itís a perfectly durable thing and doesnít need an exorbitant amount of fussing.

Is it better to store it upside down?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #41
ThrowMeTheWhip
IndyFan

Quote:
Is it better to store it upside down?

Let me repeat: don’t overthink it. A hat box is going to store it upside down, but also going to support the brim which is the reason they talk about having it upside down anyway, so the brim doesn’t flatten. Leaving it long-term on its crown would just as likely flatten the crown

It’s entirely a moot point if you’re putting it on a hat stand or hanging on the coat rack. Just hang it.
ThrowMeTheWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #42
eazybox
IndyFan

Quote:
I just keep my hats in the boxes they came in. This prevents dust buildup when the hat is not in regular use. If you need to brush your hat, the experts say it's best to do so counter-clockwise on the outer side of the crown and brim, and clockwise underneath the the brim. After being caught in a downpour, it is advisable to pop out the creases until the hat dries, which is thought to prevent tapering. Storing the hat rightside up on its brim is believed to be another cause of tapering.

Jack
Old 10-11-2018, 05:49 PM   #43
Major West
IndyFan

Yeah, don't baby the Hat, it's an Indiana Jones fedora, not the Queens Tiara.