The Hobbit: A Peter Jackson Trilogy

kongisking

But they would still have to force Holm to wear 'young Bilbo' makeup for an entire movie in order to keep with the continuity of his youthful appearance in the FOTR prologue (remember how John Ryse-Davies absolutely hated the makeup he constantly wore?). Hopefully the filmmakers will have the sense to incorporate the young Bilbo footage from this very prologue in the movie, to keep continuity absolutely straight. Otherwise, they might pull a George Lucas and re-release a new cut of Fellowship with a newly-filmed version of the short young Bilbo shots. :eek:

Nathan Drake

I hope they don't make any drastic character changes in this like did in LOTR, such as how they took away Gimli and Legolas's personalities and made them comic relief and a female plant respectively, or how the script writers tried to turn Arwen into a Mary Sue. There were a lot of hits with the movies but a lot of misses as well.

It's like someone remaking Raiders and making Marion like Willie Scott. :eek:

CartoonistChris

oki9Sedo said:
Shame Peter Jackson isn't directing, though.

I can't agree with this one. I think that Jackson is a logistical and conceptual genius - no one else could have envisioned those films the way that he did - but he is not a great director artistically. Look at the shot choices in LOTR, King Kong... the horrible slow-motion (though shot at a regular frame rate) sequences, the weird and slightly off cutting style when characters are conversing, the lack of decision making when regarding what to include... it makes me think of Wonder Boys, how Grady Trippe's novel tends to go in every possible direction even when not aiding the narrative (more of a failing in King Kong than LOTR).

I would LOVE to see the Hobbit with Jackson managing everything but the camera, in the same way that I would have preferred George Lucas to have served in a similar capacity on the Star Wars prequels, letting more suitable folks do the actual scripting and directing while approving, guiding, and creating the basic story.

I say that the Hobbit with Jackson as a producer and someone else directing is an almost surefire win.

ReggieSnake

Interesting take; makes having a new director sound not half bad comparing it to George Lucas and the prequels.(half-shudder)

deckard24

Just an update to my earlier post. Apparently Del Toro is no longer in talks, but is now officially the director for the upcoming Hobbit films. Earlier today it was spectulation by reliable sources, but now there is video confirmation of it. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. I was really hoping for Jackson to change his mind, but Del Toro is a pretty damn good replacement. Plus, there's no need for complete dispair where the storyline and visual continuity are concerned, we all know Jackson will be there on set overseeing like Sauron.;)

You can read all about it here!

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/01/29/28329-introducing-the-director-of-the-hobbit/

Katarn07

As disappointing as I found Pan's Labyrinth to be, I'm sure he's capable of pulling it off. It's not like Jackson's completely absent. However, I've seen movie sequels where the old director decides to hand over the chair to someone else and produce that don't really match the continuity of the originals. Batman Forever, anyone?

deckard24

These films are Jackson's babies, so I don't think he'll let them stray too far from his LotR films in the way of continuity. I have a feeling they could possibly turn out like The Empire Strikes Back, where Irvin Kershner took the helm, and turned out one of the best films in the series.

kongisking

deckard24 said:
Just an update to my earlier post. Apparently Del Toro is no longer in talks, but is now officially the director for the upcoming Hobbit films. Earlier today it was spectulation by reliable sources, but now there is video confirmation of it. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. I was really hoping for Jackson to change his mind, but Del Toro is a pretty damn good replacement. Plus, there's no need for complete dispair where the storyline and visual continuity are concerned, we all know Jackson will be there on set overseeing like Sauron.;)

You can read all about it here!

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/01/29/28329-introducing-the-director-of-the-hobbit/

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm experiencing the geek-equivalent of an orgasm here! Del Toro as director? PJ as producer/writer?

Perhaps there is a God...oh, boy this is just TOO GOOD!!!!! :cool: (y) (y) (y)

Indy4fan

Ian Holms for Bilbo PLEASE! Del Toro is perfect for director. What I don't understand is the hobbit sequel- is it The Silmarillion or The Children of Hurin or Tolkien's Unfinished tales? What's the sequel?

ReggieSnake

kongisking said:
Perhaps there is a God...oh, boy this is just TOO GOOD!!!!! :cool: (y) (y) (y)
Tolkien believed there is.:)

I'm excited too, it just seems like it will be such a long time till we actually see Hobbit in theaters....

Indy4fan

lol, when indy IV happens, theraider.net will become thehobbit.net...j/k

It feels like 1999-either you were excited about Star Wars Ep. 1 in theatres (Indy IV) or Lord of the Rings in production (Hobbit)... Dejavu

Niteshade007

Since I was not a fan of the book at all, and thought that the Lord of the Rings was hyped up WAY too much, I think I'll be skipping this one. In fact, I'm a little disappointed that they're making it all. It seems almost like they're just trying to milk a series that proved profitable before. Scary, as I wrote that I immediately thought of Star Wars and Indiana Jones, but anyway...

I'm not really a fan of the whole fantasy genre. I enjoyed the Harry Potter books when I was younger, although I still haven't read that last book, and there are a few fantasy stories I can stand (Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, classic children's stories mostly), but for the most part, wizards and midgets walking around a forest for nine hours REALLY bores me. Don't know why.

ReggieSnake

Niteshade007 said:
Since I was not a fan of the book at all, and thought that the Lord of the Rings was hyped up WAY too much, I think I'll be skipping this one. In fact, I'm a little disappointed that they're making it all. It seems almost like they're just trying to milk a series that proved profitable before. Scary, as I wrote that I immediately thought of Star Wars and Indiana Jones, but anyway...

I'm not really a fan of the whole fantasy genre. I enjoyed the Harry Potter books when I was younger, although I still haven't read that last book, and there are a few fantasy stories I can stand (Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, classic children's stories mostly), but for the most part, wizards and midgets walking around a forest for nine hours REALLY bores me. Don't know why.
It's not for everybody, I guess. I think most would admit that Tolkien's work is great literature though, whether the genre appeals to them or not. I love the LOTR personally, and I liked the movies, though the money-driven hype occasionally makes me sick to my stomach. I am looking forward (far-forward unfortunately) the the Hobbit, it should be a very fun movie to watch if nothing else. More Howard Shore too.

sandiegojones

Today according to comingsoon.net the Tolkien family is pulling a Peter Jackson and is suing New Line for unpaid royalties on the film. They claim they didn't receive a dime even though the films grossed 6 billion. Looks like this could delay the filming of The Hobbit. That sucks because the strike is now finally over!

deckard24

sandiegojones said:
Today according to comingsoon.net the Tolkien family is pulling a Peter Jackson and is suing New Line for unpaid royalties on the film. They claim they didn't receive a dime even though the films grossed 6 billion. Looks like this could delay the filming of The Hobbit. That sucks because the strike is now finally over!
Jesus, hasn't this film been delayed enough!

I really hope this doesn't affect The Hobbit! If it does, it almost seems like an omen that the film isn't meant to be made.:eek:

Indy Smith

I thought it might have been moe interesting for a lesser known Director to take the Reigns. Someone who had more of an affiation for story telling stories and creating good performances than say a director who is well known for having a visual flare.