Cowboys & Aliens

An interview with Favreau and the evidence of Captain America prove the international audience are a greater influence in shaping our American culture and its rewrites.

Will not be spending any money on this one.

Blech! Thpt!

Indy's brother

Rocket Surgeon said:
An interview with Favreau and the evidence of Captain America prove the international audience are a greater influence in shaping our American culture and its rewrites.

Blech! Thpt!

But just think about how even more gloriously bland and sanitized mainstream American movies will become once every film made is marketed towards a truly global audience! That's something to look forward to.....right? :rolleyes:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Indy's brother said:
But just think about how even more gloriously bland and sanitized mainstream American movies will become once every film made is marketed towards a truly global audience! That's something to look forward to.....right? :rolleyes:

When art and money collide.

Indy's brother said:
MMM mmm good! It takes a village! :sick:

Pale Horse said:
When art and money collide.
I guess its up to us to make the movie we want to watch and buck the system so we don't have to yield to the machine's creative constraints/demands only to pimp out our art, falling to our knees before the almighty dollar and public consensus...

Pale Horse

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
MMM mmm good! It takes a village! :sick:

I guess its up to us to make the movie we want to watch and buck the system so we don't have to yield to the machine's creative constraints/demands only to pimp out our art, falling to our knees before the almighty dollar and public consensus...

Bah! Teaching the American Consumer temperance. That's rich! :p

But I'd love to see a comparative/contrast of themes where the anti-american nations continue to purchase the products we produce. I thought that was totally against what the terrorists wanted. :confused:

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:

So are you still up for making that Nazi Zombie Girls vs Topless Werewolf Babes on Ice movie? :gun:

Pale Horse said:
But I'd love to see a comparative/contrast of themes where the anti-american nations continue to purchase the products we produce. I thought that was totally against what the terrorists wanted.

If your diplomats paid their traffic fines in this country we'd be able to purchase even more of your products! :p

Pale Horse said:
Bah! Teaching the American Consumer temperance. That's rich! :p
(y)

Paraphrasing Lord Lucas...

Pale Horse said:
But I'd love to see a comparative/contrast of themes where the anti-american nations continue to purchase the products we produce. I thought that was totally against what the terrorists wanted. :confused:

Check out the new film The Devil's Double for just that! Scarface of Arabia. Yes that's Cap's own Bucky playing Uday Hussein / Latif Yahia!

There was a time when it wasn't even terrorism, but governments that were balked at for trying to censor the title maharaja...

Dr.Sartorius

Rocket Surgeon said:

Blech! Thpt!

No idea what you're talking about.

Kevin

I saw this tonight, enjoyed it quite a bit. I expected it to be campy but it was quite the opposite in fact. Harrison Ford was great, it was nice to see him back in an action role.

Dr.Sartorius

Saw the film today. Pure action/adventure fun. Nothing more nothing less. If you go in expecting a masterpiece you'll be disappointed. It was great seeing Harrison Ford playing a cowboy again. His role in the film is perfectly suited for him. He really relished it.

Craig, Wilde, and the rest of the cast were all very enjoyable as well.

8.5/10

The Man

TOTAL FILM REVIEW​

But his bark turns out to be worse than his bite. Within a couple of scenes, Dolarhyde?s showing his softer side, being kind to a hungry urchin. True, it?s no great shocker to see a star of Ford?s stature trace a redemptive arc; if only it felt more hard-won.

But what?s a western without a little bromance? Sadly, a little is all we get. Craig makes perfect sense as a Leone ranger, all minimalism and menace, with icy eyes made for extreme close-ups. Ford, as noted, draws the line at true grit, but still conveys leathery authority ? and has grumpy fun with the comic opportunities that survived the final draft.
Yet our two alpha males never quite gel.

As it is, the gold standard for Indy/Bond chemistry safely remains Spielberg?s Last Crusade.

The Man

Indy's brother said:
I can only speak for myself, and for me, this was easily the best non-Indy video ever posted here at The Raven.

Thank Chic. She spotted it, sent it to me, sent me all silly with goofy laughter. Such a gem belongs here...and in an off-topic thread, no less! :D

Montana Smith said:
So are you still up for making that Nazi Zombie Girls vs Topless Werewolf Babes on Ice movie? :gun:

How did I miss this one?

Well, to be frank, the godless Hollywood machine has said we'll only get sixty percent on our advertising quote unless the Zombies go topless instead of the werewolves. Fur that far north of the treasure line doesn't give up any cleavage.

I was inclined to agree, but they couldn't see the forest for the trees...the wolves were not in fact werewolves but vampires, and that dear friend is cleavage city!

Art wins this round...

Cha-ching!

Indy_Chic

You're welcome, The Man! it's a great video :D

Great to see some reviews on the film pouring in, it's not released in Australia until August 18th so the wait for the film will be a bit longer but judging from the reviews, it certainly sounds like it's going to be a fun movie. thanks guys, keep posting in the reviews! :)

emtiem

Rocket Surgeon said:
Money/Markets trump artistic vision and dictate content...to the detriment of the piece.

If you think blockbusters movies have always been the place for 'artistic vision', I think you've missed the point!

I'm sure you'll list a few great ones from the last thirty years, but there are many more less visionary blockbusters, and they made plenty of money too.

emtiem said:
If you think blockbusters movies have always been the place for 'artistic vision', I think you've missed the point!
If you think this is the point I'm making I know you've missed the point.

Favreau said he made this film because he wanted to make a western and aliens were the only group he could villify in the current Hollywood culture/climate.

The silliness of sidestepping Nazis in Captain America, instead massaging "Hydra" into a threat to the world including Nazis is a detriment to the film and the entire concept of Captain America.

The films are being excessively tailored as to be bland.

If Favreau had any balls he could have made the western he suggests he wanted to and let the market decide if its a blockbuster.

I'm just not interested in political correctness in the guise of sci-fi. It's tired.

I only make use/address the term Blockbuster because you introduced it. I don't label films so before they produce, no matter how they are marketed or the media bandies them about.

In any event who knows what you contend actually makes a Blockbuster.

To me it includes people waiting in lines for hours to see a film, getting back in line to see it again...sold out shows, but that's me.